The Rugby Union Thread

Well that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

The worst rugby team ever narrowingly missing out to the world champions.

Seth Meyers Sarcasm GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

2 Likes

New Zealand will be licking their lips meeting a SA side that will be battered and exhausted.

1 Like

Just hope Wee Joe and Paul Rojododo still have some nails left.

It’s just a joke lads. Anyways, you get the last laugh.

Sassy Last Laugh GIF by Rooster Teeth

Far better performance from England than expected.Tough to take a single point loss. If Farrell keeps his gob shut in the first half they don’t get the extra yards for the first pen. On the other hand his kicking was superb, especially for the drop goal. Suppose that just Farrell though.

1 Like

Tactically I thought England would go quite well this evening. It went far better than expected for them.

Scrumaging and a penalty that could have gone the other way again, wins SA the game.

England bringing on Sinkler was necessary for them but also their downfall.

1 Like

A good Rugby World Cup ruined by 1 ref!

2 Likes

That ref would always find something in the end he is a disgrace!

1 Like

I fear the Canadian women are going to lose an enormous amount of ground over the next 2 cycles, but for now they are a very good program.

Awful. Just when you think there’s something that could spark some increased interest and widen the game there it gets slapped down.

Rugby really needs to shake off the old school boy network / inward looking attitude that exists.

Right now I’m still massively concerned about the game in Wales. A half decent World Cup showing has been welcome but really papers over the cracks.

2 Likes

:joy: congrats on your wonderful defeat.

Tbf England played much better than anyone predicted. Some outstanding performances :clap: .

SA looked shattered after their epic game last week. Another tough one last night, compared to NZ having an easy game and an extra day, probably gives the ABs the advantage in final

2 Likes

Above all they won’t have that ref that allows them to win!!!

This team are better underdogs than they are front runner. They are almost like the Houllier version of our side. Can play in a way that limits “better sides” being able to play their game effectively and have enough in their own side to keep the score board ticking over, but struggle over and over again when trying to develop from that to a more expansive side that can play successfully as favourites against good sides.

2 Likes

I’d add that England’s basic game is well suited to play.against South Africa. Up front power, good line out, mauling and a territory based game basically not allowing the Boks to build up any steam.

They definitely gave SA a hard time. The plan of starting a weaker 15 didn’t work this time. They were out muscled in the breakdown. It’s probably cost them one mentally broken outside half too I suspect.

So England scraped it, disappointed that Patagonia B couldn’t quite catch them.

No controversy over the referee I hope.
Didn’t see it as I was in my normal day and night sleeping mode I go through when off work!
Nice to see it was a close one like I predicted!

No, officiated really well I thought and you could clearly hear the communication with the players.

A couple of really big collisions were looked at but deemed ok. Maybe in another game a slightly different outcome from those reviews but England basically had one extra penalty in them while Patagonia B missed a crucial one.

Worth noting the last couple of English performances have seen a return to a more traditional English style. It’s won them both games. The more exciting players in the team weren’t really given much opportunity.

1 Like

Yes the wingers and full back only get the ball when the opposition sends them a high ball. :joy:
It’s the way for them to go if they wish to win imo as their pack is phenomenal and as long as they keep their discipline they can keep the opposition at bay. Not great for rugby however I love the confrontation up front.

It’s their back row and Itoje that gives them the pack advantage. Their front row is neither here nor there for me and they certainly don’t have depth there.

And of course a kicking 9 and 10.

Worth seeing Farrell do his usual high tackle with a bump technique and get absolutely flattened at one point.

Wow. NZ have not got going yet but I cannot believe that is worth a red card. I’ll concede it might be the standard in modern rugby but if so it’s one of those that doesn’t feel like it justifies a team playing 1 man down for the rest of the game

I’ve been wrapping myself in knots trying to justify why it shouldn’t be.

There’s nothing I can say that downgrades it to a yellow. I’ve got nothing.

1 Like