The Rugby Union Thread

Not for me. Ireland were far better than anything this England side can offer. France too.

I’m finding it tough to believe South Africa are fully deserving this trophy. I think they’ve been fortunate on more than one occasion.

I guess you need a little luck though.

My work sweep performance has been dismal. On the wrong side of every tight decision. I called Jordan right as top scorer though.

1 Like

NZ should of won that. We’re a better side than South Africa and have been for a long time. We’ve won the Freedom Cup between us 16 out of 18 times. We dominate the Rugby Championship.

As for the game, that wasn’t a red card; there were mitigating factors, and in a game of this magnitude, particularly for a World Cup final. Then there’s Etzebeth, escaping a red card despite a forceful leading arm extended directly to the head during the tackle, moments before Cane’s incident. Astonishingly, this wasn’t reviewed. Emphasising a glaring inconsistency. To add to the frustration, Kolisi received only a yellow card.

South Africa fortunate with half their points coming from penalties that should have been awarded to NZ instead.

South Africa is undeniably the most fortuitous side in World Cup history. They have never had the best team at a World Cup, whether in 1995, 2007, or 2019. New Zealand has consistently demonstrated superior quality.

1995 marked by NZ being food poisoned. The 2007 World Cup, marked by Wayne Barnes’ numerous incorrect calls, unquestionably cost us. NZ easily the best side, Regrettably, this game hasn’t fared much better.

Complete disaster. Complete disgrace. NZ deserved to win. We did well with 14 for the majority of the game but we should have won.

1 Like

You got hammered by them in August.

Felt sorry for Cane but it was a clear red card if there’s to be any consistency

Nonsense. Deserved all four

We were missing a number of players. Yellow cards and a red card added to it. That game wasn’t anywhere close to the measure of NZ. We also beat South Africa and dominated them earlier in the Rugby Championship.

Nope. Not a red card. There were mitigating factors. Even so, the inconsistency is glaringly obvious. Etzebeth on two occasions.

No, not when NZ were cheated. South Africa were lucky to make the final in 1995. NZ were deliberately food poisoned on the eve of the final and were chucking up on the field during the game itself.

2007 - Wayne Barnes was quite simply atrocious. Way out of his depth. Not even remotely near good enough. As for 2019 they were fortunate. NZ much the better side. This final again fortunate. NZ deserved to win.

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

The twat in the bunker is the equivalent of Darren England with that pompous wanker Barnes the equivalent of Tierney. They forget that everyone wants to see a good game of rugby, not a an official who loves to be in the limelight. Whilst it was edge of the seat stuff by way of the score, it was ruined by shite officiating.

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

The irony after your cry arsing. You should send that GIF to yourself.

I said ‘historically’ - SA, NZ, Argentina (sorry Patagonia B) and England are 4 of the best 5 teams in the World Cup. The other is Australia. There’s nothing to argue there.

Currently, France and Ireland are better but at world cups they’ve never shown it on a consistent basis. As I’ve mentioned a few times, Ireland have never been past the quarters.

Someone will say, yes but they played NZ who they beat earlier this year, and anyone of them can win on their day. It’s just fine margins. And I say, funny how Ireland’s day is never at the world cup.

I’m certainly no expert, but the whole set-up feels stale AF.

Where’s the innovation, the new ideas?

Everything is just meh…

No, I said NZ deserved to beat us in QF. Just corrected your bullshit, as others did too

What do you believe the mitigating factors were? Genuinely interested because I struggled to think of any other than Kriel was dipping.

Kolisi card. He was bent at the hip.

I’ll admit there is a sense of fortune / destiny or whatever you want to call it behind SA’s win. There were certainly calls that went in their favour in this game and in the France game. I don’t feel as if the best side won the tournament but that’s knock out sport.

But also remember the All Blacks missed a conversion and a penalty. They also kicked to touch instead of taking the 3 points and came away with nothing.

Loving the new idea of talking to yourself.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:woozy_face:

Kolisi’s contact was shoulder to chest, then accidental on head. Cane was direct to head. It’s harsh and I felt for him, but consistent with how that rule has been applied for past couple of years. Everyone knew it was red after first replay

Very strange second half, NZ dominating play despite being down a man the entire time - but in the end not cashing in on the possession or the position. I think they probably demonstrated they were the superior team, but South Africa is really built on a style that dictates how a game is played, and keeps it on terms to their advantage. I don’t think anyone thought they were the most talented side in 2019 either. Did just enough of that to come out on top, again.

1 Like

Every commentator immediately said he’s in trouble.

You and Paul Rojo. Both Irish.

Not what I was listening to. Sam Warburton called it the same as the the on field referee.

The red was a huge shame to the spectacle of the game but I honestly can’t argue with any of the decisions given when it comes to the cards.

If there was a missed head contact, I didn’t see it and they definitely missed a penalty for New Zealand in a ruck in the last seconds.

But remember New Zealand missed 2 kicks and came away with nothing after kicking to the corner. You don’t win games at this level missing opportunities which has been one of the key things I’ll take away from this world cup. Accuracy and conversion rates really matter…

1 Like

The missed kicks were like the SA vs Ireland game. Made the difference.

Their try came not directly after this, but it was definitely as part of the approach of pinning them down in their end, so don’t think you can hold this against them as points spurned.

On Kolisi? He smashed his head directly into the ball carrier’s. I’ve made my point already on the discrepancy in the punishment between those tackles being difficult to swallow, but I get there are arguments tot he contrary. The one that will live with me though was the penalty that I think made it 9-3. Even before Pollard to the kick Barnes was admitting he’d incorrectly penalized Savea. It robbed them of a key turnover and gave SA a very kickable penalty and ultimately the 3 points that separated them. As Savea was informing his team mates the ref had acknowledged his mistake our commentary commented, now we know ironically, that he should not worry as he’ll likely get one back from the ref when it counts. Less than 5 mins later Cane was off and would not come back.