The Rugby Union Thread

Credit to england, even under the disappointment of the scoreboard, they have stuck to their guns, and after 55 mins that is the first sign of Ireland bending under the pressure. A bad yellow followed by conceding a try a couple of mins later.

Wow. What a great game of rugby. Well played, England.

1 Like

Great game, fair play to England

In the build up to this game, there was so much talk about Ireland being the best team in the world, which was more than a tad disrespectful to both New Zealand, who knocked them out of the World Cup, and South Africa, who won the bloody thing.

An excellent team, the Irish, but England showed today that they are far from invincible.

True, great team but there are still elements to be sorted out. England game plan was excellent today. Deserved win.

Looking forward to Ireland v Scotland, should be a humdinger :grin:

Some of the Irish media is as bad as the English. There was none of that arrogance coming from the Irish team or proper fans. I was always nervous about the game today.

Re the game- Conor Murray has always pissed me off with his pointless box kicks. Nearly threw the remote at tv when he kicked it out with only 1 minute left.

Ultimately England deserved the win. Well played :clap:

1 Like

They made me play RU at school. Nuff said :angry:

1 Like

Wins for ITALY and england who would have thought?
When I have had the time this year I’ve tended to see Italy and they play well, just have been getting the thick end of the stick from refs to prevent them from expanding and scoring. If they got a decent ref they would score a bit more. I mean when they played Ireland I saw instances when they were attacking, 3 even 4 faults by Ireland and the ref didn’t even blink let alone flinch then a very minor fault, due to having to cope with the Irish faults, and Ireland get a penalty. Turn over, games as crooked as wrestling was and all the others now!

Italy could easily have 3 wins this time out

Well I’m nervous for next weekend.

We have a few promising signs here and there, but look weak and like a side of 21 year olds at times.

France have found a suitable Dupont replacement it seems.

I need to watch the England and Italy wins. I missed those over the weekend.

This seems like an unreasonable bar.

1 Like

You’re invincible or you’re shit.

Watching George North’s last game here reminds me of Gerrard’s last game. Dark days. Thank God/Fowler for Jurgen

1 Like

Italy could end with a .500 record and behind Scotland for 3rd only on bonus points!

Ugh. Up until today the Wales performances had looked better than you’d expect from a side that had lost every game. It was really only the Ireland game that got away from them, and even then there were patches of rugby suggestive of a team coming together. But today rips up that narrative.

I wonder if what we’ve seen of Wales is more a case of the overall standard of the championship this year being not great that a bad Wales side could live with everyone rather than the games suggesting some green shoots of a developing side?

Losing every game in a bad championship doesn’t suggest green shoots.

As an Irish fan it’s a shame. We need a strong Wales for good of the 6N. Great to see Italy are properly competitive now though!

1 Like

Right, that is why I offered them as alternative explanations for what we’ve seen from Wales this year.

With the exception of Ireland we’ve seen Wales lose each game but be competitive. Each game there was a reason to come away and take positives. Now losing and deservedly so to Italy at home its difficult to see the previous close run loses as simply games between two average to poor sides rather than there being anything positive to take from a Welsh perspective.

But maybe Im selling Italy short here. I dont know.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one. They lost all 5 games, conceding 143 points. It’s just a poor team

I think it is also difficult for a limited team replacing a good number of stalwarts to bounce back. If they had played to the standard they had played earlier, they might have seen a different result against Italy. But they looked mentally beaten from the beginning.

1 Like

Let’s face it, it’s more than just “NFL” fucking off.

Anyhow Italy could easily have been second in this tournament, they deserve a bit of praise.

1 Like