The Summer Olympics, this time in Paris

Funny you should say that, because French girls love it when you speak French with an English accent (or they did when I was young). It’s not the accent per se; it’s the fact that you’re foreign but speaking their language.

Bloody foreigners.

6 Likes

https://x.com/BBCSport/status/1816963888157446227?t=kFkjtS5ueJKw5HBlh6-hZw&s=09

:joy::joy:

1 Like

They still do. :wink:

1 Like

I used to work with French and Italian Scientists, they had strong accents and I ended up talking like them sometimes.
Alot, got lost in translation. It was hilarious at times.

3 Likes

In re Ariarne: The Australian national anthem isn’t as silly as I thought it would be.

Hockey is a great sport, especially when it’s the women’s turn. That stick and ball skill on show is exemplary.

Spain beating GB 2-1 with 15mins left, for the bronze medal. I’ve seen this scoreline before some where between these 2.

Out in the first round in the women’s ping pong, not been the start for the GB team…let’s see how they get on now in the men’s badminton double against the Chinese…

1 Like

Is there any official YouTube channel for the Olympics? None of the channels I have is showing any events.

I’m not usually one for these ceremonies. Usually, I stop watching after five minutes. For this one, I took a quick glance at the beginning as I normally do, but got then sticked to it until the end. It was different from everything which has been held before, which is already great. And the chaotic, wildly eclectic nature of the show, mixing Rock Metal with Bizet or Saint-Saens, Lady Gaga with French cabaret, a fashion show with modern dancing performances, was quite good to be honest.

The heavy rain, which must have been a nightmare for the organisators, only added to the quality of the show imo. Good performance all over, and an excellent reminder of the dynamism, variety and richness of France’s culture and history, and thus Europe’s.

6 Likes

What the organisers didn’t take into account is those stars carrying the torch would get seasick

1 Like

It is the same the other way round british girls go Gaga at the sound of a French or Italian accent

1 Like

I do not think the locals share your enthusiasm they are pretty unhappy at not being able to go about their normal business as the areas were cordoned off with heavy security for sometime before the opening ceremony

1 Like

I know my ex is one and I have recently become annoyed with his moaning.

So it’s all fine by me :joy:

2 Likes

Holy shit, what a comeback by Evans and Murray.

The Japanese had 5 match points and blew every game!

Fair play lads.

3 Likes

Why didnt they use a goose?

2 Likes

Pidcock suffering a flat while leading the mountain biking cross-country. Probably a second British cyclist to lose a medal at these games because of having a puncture - after Josh Tarling suffered one in the Time Trial and missed bronze by 2 seconds :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Or maybe not.

That was an absolutely epic race to be fair

2 Likes

Amazing, Pidcock is something else

4 Likes

This guy is a hero he is made of granite his never say die attitude is amazing this victory will go down in history especially contracting Covid in the Tour de France . I must admit when he got the puncture I thought it was one misfortune too many. Congratulations to the British athletes this early in the Olympics as today with 2 gold les a silver and a bronze is brilliant. There is still hope to add to that tally in the swimming tonight!

4 Likes

Hopes in the Canoe Salom and Gymnastics as well

1 Like

Naby :open_mouth: