The Summer Olympics, this time in Paris

Khelif, her Algerian opponent, is one of two women who have been reinstated by the IOC to fight after being suspended from amateur competition by the IBA last year after over questions about their sex identity. Both Khelif and the Taiwanese boxer were assigned female at birth and have lived all their life as women, but both were recently flagged by the IBA over failing some sex qualifying standard. The IBA is not sanctioned as an Olympic organization so the boxing is run by the IOC directly and they have claimed the criteria used to ban the fighters were not standard and there was not transparency over the procedure that was used. According to them both fighters meet the IOC standard so they have both been cleared to compete.

That has led to controversy and Khelif’s first opponent refused to fight her because of it. It is not clear though that this was a protest by the Italian fighter. It appeared so at the time, but she was very conciliatory to Khelif in her comments afterwards and so it swems she was just genuinely shaken by the first punch she was hit with. I dont know anything about the Taiwanese fighter, but Kheif is not considered a big puncher.

3 Likes

Bigger controversy in the boxing should be the judging. Some people are winning the fight after getting the absolute shit beat out of them in all three rounds.

Likely boxing will be removed from the Olympics by the time Los Angeles rolls around.

5 Likes

Thanks for this @Limiescouse,
This is a complex issue. Wonder how IOC will resolve it.

Yeah, it’s long been an issue in amateur boxing

This was an interesting piece on the issues with saber fencing

1 Like

Yes, this is true, one of our team GB boxers thought he had done enough to go through, everyone else did as well apart from the Judges.

Those sports with judging are a bit of a turn off for me.

3 Likes

After seeing the footage it seems certain it was a protest. Both in terms of how little she seemed affected by the punch and her reaction to the Algerian fighter in the ring after the fight. Her comments are the fight are confusing in this light and I think just speaks to how difficult a situation it is for the athletes.

2 Likes

Olympic boxer quits with ‘broken nose’ against female Imane Khelif who failed gender test

Italian boxer Angela Carini quit her bout in tears and with a suspected broken nose after two blows from Imane Khelif - who failed a gender test at the World Championship

Angela Carini quit in tears 46 seconds into her Olympic boxing match with Imane Khelif.

Carini didn’t acknowledge Khelif ahead of the bell - but after 46 seconds she quit in tears with a suspected broken nose. Two blows from the Algerian appeared to knock Carini’s chin strap off, causing the Italian to head back to her corner and quit the bout.

Speaking to the Italian media after quitting their match, Carini said that she had “never felt a punch like it” when hit by Khelif and the “heartbroken” boxer was in Paris to “honour her father and represent her country”.

:0)
Didn’t know Romania is sponsored by Lidl

2 Likes

Gender, drugs, judges, pollution, cheating - standard day at the Olympics.

But I’m loving it. Time to get serious now bring on the Athletics.

1 Like

When you’re one of the most iconic people in the history of rock music and then you show up at the Olympics…

3 Likes

Regarding the boxing controversy, it’s going to be an issue that will have valid points from all angles but this is funny…

3 Likes

He has been attending since the first Olympics in 1896

1 Like

I thought she was practicing as the poll station usher for the US elections

To vote Dem Blue, go to the left, vote Rep Red, to the right

1 Like

Chinese swimming world record ‘not humanly possible’ says Australian coach​

Telegraph Sport
Updated Thu, August 1, 2024 at 8:18 PM GMT+2 · 6 min read

A leading Australian swimming coach has led criticism of Pan Zhanle’s stunning 100m freestyle world record after saying the Chinese swimmer’s performance in the pool was “not humanly possible”. Brett Hawke led the international disbelief among some quarters after the 19-year-old stormed to gold in 46.40 seconds to beat nearest rival Kyle Chalmers by more than a second.

Pan destroyed a high-class field to shave almost half a second off his own world record in the biggest winning margin in the men’s 100m freestyle since American Johnny Weissmuller in 1928, but his performance has been overshadowed by ongoing suspicions surrounding the Chinese team. The 19-year-old said that he was not concerned by the doping row that has engulfed China’s swimming team at the Paris Games, despite being named in an investigation by The New York Times and German broadcaster ARD.

It reported that 23 athletes at Tokyo 2020 failed drugs tests for a banned heart medication, 11 of whom are competing in the Olympics, and a further two athletes were cleared after testing positive for a strong anabolic steroid in 2022 that was blamed on contaminated meat. But in an animated video posted on his Instagram account, Hawke described it as a performance that “is not real” and said he had never encountered anything like it in three decades coaching in the sport.

“Listen, I’m just going to be honest, I am angry at that swim,” said Hawke, who did not specifically address recent allegations of Chinese doping cover-ups that have included multiple swimmers but not Pan himself. “Look, I’m angry for a number of reasons. Look, my friends are the fastest swimmers in history, from Rowdy Gaines to Alex Popov to Gary Hall Jr, Anthony Ervin and all the way up to King Kyle Chalmers. I know these people intimately, I’ve studied them for 30 years.

“I’ve studied this sport. I’ve studied speed. I understand it. I’m an expert in it, that’s what I do, OK. I’m upset right now because you don’t win 100m freestyle by a body length on that field. You just don’t do it.” Hawke, who represented Australia at the 2000 and 2004 Olympics, said: “It is not humanly possible to beat that field by a body length. I don’t care what you say. This is not a race thing, this is not against any one particular person or nation, this is just what I see and what I know.

“That’s not real, you don’t beat that field. Kyle Chalmers, David Popovici, Jack Alexy, you don’t beat those guys by one full body length in 100m freestyle. That’s not humanly possible, OK, so don’t sell it to me, don’t shove it down my throat. It’s not real.”

1 Like

The double standards at play are ridiculous.

When the Chinese or Russians do something incredible, they’re cheating. When the Americans break world records, it’s because they’re amazing.

Cough… Flo Jo, Marion Jones…

9 Likes

After reading abit about her story, she was born, registered female, brought up as a female. She IS female. It is not her fault she has no control what happens to androgens in her body.

This happened to the South African sprinter Caster Semenya.

6 Likes

maybe, but when enough people in the know make enough noises, then its got to be worth paying attention to.

people at that level know each other well, they know the feild, they know whos up and coming etc etc…

the most telling stuff is (like man city) how quickly a sports program/team/association becomes dominant so quickly, its not impossible, but its worthy of looking closer

its not that his time was impossible, its that most of the industry are seeing results that are an anomoly.

if a well respected coach of even a rival team suggests hes not a body length better than the field, you can either think about the comments or pass them off as sour grapes… up to the individual

1 Like

yeah its a tough one, i own up to not knowing enough to really weigh in, but from the outsdie looking in, if gender is fluid etc, and people are able to identify as they wish, then sports events might become more graded on XY counts than traditional gender allocations…

if so, Caster and this lass seem like the ones that might just draw the short straw…

it needs to be fair for everyone.

tough one for sure.

2 Likes

True, but as far as we know, when the Americans cheat, they do it as individuals or at the very worst as a small team led by an unscrupulous coach. The Russians were fairly recently banned by the IOC for having a state-sponsored doping programme. It’s not known if China has a similar programme, but I don’t think that anyone would be particularly surprised.

Some may think that there isn’t much difference, but those East German athletes that had to deal with all kind of ailments, including undergoing a sex change, due to the steroids they took without their consent or knowledge, would beg to differ.

4 Likes