The Summer Olympics, this time in Paris

The British rider did everything right. He stayed on the black line as they’re instructed to do. The incident was all on the Danish rider.

1 Like

My understanding is the rules are that the GB rider should have got out the way. But equally the officials did not flag correctly to indicate that.

But perhaps Denmark maybe shouldn’t have been there anyway:

That sucks then. Imagine you are the current world record holders, and are getting beaten by several seconds and standing no chance in the race, you could legitimately drop all your riders off and spread them around the track to create obstacles and ensure your world record remains in tact.

If what you say is correct it sounds a pretty shit rule to give right of way to not just a lapped rider, but one that’s no longer in contact with his group. Track cycling must be the only sport in the world that doesn’t partake in gentleman’s agreements.

There are points where one team can catch the other on the track. If this is the case then the caught team must get out of the way of the faster team as they continue to try and set the fastest time possible. If it is a race for a medal, be it the Olympics or other championships, if a team is caught the race is over and is usually referred to as ‘making the catch’.

2 Likes

Now half a second take off the women’s 400M hurdles.

World records are great to watch, but this has already started to feel less an exhibition of supreme athletic performance and more one of innovation of equipment.

1 Like

A timely piece on the BBC

1 Like

Strange they use a picture of Karsten when he doesn’t use trampoline shoes and personally thinks they should be illegal. Tendentious use of pictures. Many people sadly only read headlines and not complete articles and the BBC knows this.

It wasn’t just about shoes though, it was also about the track.

Currently watching the sport climbing. It’s brilliant.

1 Like

I remember a Winter Olympics a few years back where there was an innovation in skate design.

Speed skaters were setting world records, and failing to make the finals much less medal.

The French women’s handball GK is good. :+1:

Canadian Women’s football team did not play the best game in the final, but they were good defensively, mostly keeping Sweden at bay (similarly against the US in the semi-final). The new generation of Canadian players really need someone who can put some shots into the net.

Jessie Fleming and keeper Stephanie Labbe are absolutely my heroes. While our captain Christine Sinclair gave everything to Team Canada for so many years.

Fleming was so cool when taking penalties. Labbe never felt pressure between the sticks when dealing with spot kicks, and always with that grin that must have been so infuriating for the penalty takers facing her.

My nerves were shot, my stress level was high, my heart rates just past 100. Matches decided by penalties after ET were never good for the heart, especially when some of the pens were so badly taken (then again, pens would be great pens if the keepers guess wrong), while the keepers were performing at their best levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTbdAdIRNsY

2 Likes

I am so going to miss the Olympics…despite all the doom mongers it appears to have been a huge success albeit it has lacked some atmosphere without the home crowd…

It has been a joy to watch for me. Well done Japan…and well done GB.

Loved the head kicking and horse dancing in particular. I have a daughter in Paris so will definitely be there in 2024…all being well.

Union Jack Uk GIF

3 Likes

Yeah, they have done really well. Germany, Russia (understandably), and Cuba were underwhelming.

That Madison is one crazy event. Like rollerball on bikes. :flushed:

Don’t really understand any of it but a riveting watch. Feel sorry for the poor guy on the sidelines who points at the lead bike after every lap. With bikes all over the place how the hell does he keep track of them?

I can’t help but think that the forced perma-grins and the robotic walking to the pool actually take away from what the synchronised swimmers are doing in their routines.

Not that i’m particularly invested, it’s just what’s on.

1 Like

First time I’ve watched Bryan Gil. Cynical fouls and spends a lot of time on the floor.

Astonishing to think that a country the size of India had never won a track and field gold medal before.

Funny, that; I thought that the gold medal for the biggest dickhead of just about everything went to Piers Morgan.

5 Likes

Yeah I think Moron is gutted he missed out on today’s gold medal for being a dickhead.

At least tomorrow’s is up for grabs Moron.

Anyhow I echo the sentiment of everyone else about the games I thought Japan carried it off well.

1 Like