The TAN Alternative World Cup

Alot of the players in the National team refused to sing Iran’s National anthem. They are in an almost impossible situation. If they protest with in a subtle way like wearing t-shirts supporting the people in Iran who are protesting against the government. The regime will harrass the players families and detain them. Sadar Azoum (plays for Bayer Leverkusen) expressed his support for the women of Iran in his instagram. Days later, he removed his post and had to apologise. He was definitely must have been threatened by the regime.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you remember the case of the woman climber who competed without a headscarf recently , and then had to pretend that it had ‘fell off’ during competition. I learned after that that any Iranian athletes competing abroad had to provide a substantial surety to the government before being allowed to travel. This obviously serves to dissuade anyone from defecting or embarrassing the regime while out of the country. That’s what happened here and presumably was the reason she was persuaded to offer a public clarification.

I expect the same kind of inducements to behave will apply to their footballers.

3 Likes

Yes, I remember the Iranian climber. The regime’s henchmen paid a visit to her parents house. If there is going to be a regime change, many people have to make the ultimate sacrifices which may mean alot of casualties. The mood is very different this time round from previous protests.

2 Likes

This is very inspirational. Never give up on your dreams, no matter how old you are. I am still holding on to mine.

4 Likes

I didn’t pay you in all those litres of maidens tears for this draw. Do I need to get heavy?

5 Likes

Sorry to usurp @cynicaloldgit, but how much are these ‘world cup’ earnings’? Could he perhaps have donated a small portion of his regular salary to help many, many more children or would that not have got the world cup gutter approved clicks/likes that sponsors are after?

I think I broke this thread.

Sorry @cynicaloldgit

Sorry Shame GIF by reactionseditor

2 Likes

No need to apologise, @PaulRoJo and @Bekloppt

This thread can be for all slagging off of Qatar, with the match polls thrown in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think I started it. :frowning:

I’d like to ask any mods reading if you wouldn’t mind moving all the posts that are not competition related to the official WC thread.

Beat me to it. Loved that team.

Wow, you are pretty :upside_down_face:

Over here they still debate which team was better, bronze Croatia '98 or silver Croatia '18.

(Off-topic, but Croatia '08, who were seconds away from the Euro semi-final - potentially playing for the second time against Germany after already beating them in the group, are also up there with the mentioned two as probably the best 3 teams we had since our independence).

It seems like every 10 years we have a side that is close to a major title! :joy:

2 Likes

Asparagus lady tipped you.

Then again she tipped Man Utd to win the title and Boris Johnson to remain in office and then come back after Truss.

Her best is the shinning beacon of the UK economy :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The big day has finally arrived.

No, not the farce in Qatar with the hosts facing Ecuador (is their national anthem the banging dance track by Sash, I wonder :thinking: ), but the first round of the TAN Alternative World Cup.

I’m going to post all the first round of group matches together, as a) it’s less hassle and b) I’m lazy, and leave the polls open until Friday. The second round of group matches will start then.

Group A

• Bulgaria 1994
  • Scotland 1978
  • Draw

0 voters

• Uruguay 2010
  • Hungary 1954
  • Draw

0 voters

Group B

• Argentina 1978
  • USSR 1986
  • Draw

0 voters

• Italy 1982
  • Austria 1932
  • Draw

0 voters

Group C

• Spain 2010
  • West Germany 1954
  • Draw

0 voters

• Brazil 1970
  • Brazil 1982
  • Draw

0 voters

Group D

• Cameroon 1990
  • England 1966
  • Draw

0 voters

• Ghana 2010
  • Yugoslavia 1990
  • Draw

0 voters

Group E

• France 1998
  • France 1958
  • Draw

0 voters

• Iran 1998
  • Netherlands 1978
  • Draw

0 voters

Group F

• Portugal 1966
  • Wales 1958
  • Draw

0 voters

• Netherlands 1990
  • Romania 1994
  • Draw

0 voters

Group G

• Belgium 1986
  • Argentina 2002
  • Draw

0 voters

• Netherlands 1998
  • Republic of Ireland 1994
  • Draw

0 voters

Group H

• Argentina 1986
  • West Germany 1974
  • Draw

0 voters

• Senegal 2002
  • Denmark 1986
  • Draw

0 voters

Please note that you cannot change your vote, so try to do your research before voting; don’t vote with your heart but with your head.

And remember: #fuckqatar

6 Likes

:expressionless:

Should have written it in the beginning.

I voted with my heart, i can’t help it.

2 Likes

Nice work @cynicaloldgit.
What’s the protocol re a draw - is it simply highest % option always wins or will it also be called a ‘draw’ where the difference in % votes between teams is very small (say 5% or less)?

So my brown envelopes haven’t been in vain!

This is fucking darker than Fifa

3 Likes