The Tennis Thread

Opinions on Nole’s incident at US Open?

I think it was harsh. Punish him with a game or something, but I found DQ too severe.

Unintentional one. A bit harsh.

1 Like

It may have been unintentional, but he has previous and this is the 3rd/4th time he has been DQ’d for similar things so can’t understand why people are saying it’s harsh - he has no one else to blame but himself

1 Like

The Osaka stuff is nasty, Liew has written an excellent piece here.

Didn’t Ferguson not talk to the BBC for about five years as it attempted to do some proper journalism into his dodgy son.

4 Likes

I’m very confused by the hand wringing on twitter over this. She decided that it was best for her if she doesn’t do the press conferences and people are acting like she said she wants to be handed the trophy without playing.

Show me an example of a recent post-match tabloid journalism interview that has resulted in a single interesting word being said and I’ll be absolutely shocked.

3 Likes

Why do sportspeople have to do these endless tedious press conferences? The only good ones are with Jürgen, let’s face it.

It’s unfortunately not that surprising that certain media publications and figures saw this as a great opportunity to attack a young and successful black woman.

3 Likes

Yup, point I made elsewhere they are usually inane and Liew makes that clear in his article in which he mentions FQM (First question man).

Turned on the euros for 10 minutes before switching back to this - one of the best games you’ll ever see. Instant classic already between Nadal and Djokovic.

2 Likes

Djokovic is playing ridiculous tennis. Really hope Nadal can win this fourth set though and take it to 5 but Djokovic now has 3 match points…

1st one, saved…

2nd one, wide from Nadal… Djokovic wins!

1 Like

Gotta love the start of Wimbledon.

Has anybody ever been? Worth a visit?

Haved lived just around the corner for 10 years and never been. Fucking hate the 2 weeks of Wimbledon as so many annoying cunts clogging up the buses and streets makes it a nightmare to get home in the evenings

3 Likes

Following on from @cynicaloldgit 's post above.

Also, I’m not sure I understand what all the thumbs down are for but I suspect it is something to do with wearing basketball attire on a tennis court…

1 Like

Nah I can guess unless you are being sarcastic.

It always seemed to me to be one of those things like Ascot, Henley etc where tories dress up and discuss their portfolios and kids’ school fees.

I remember when I lived over there it was a ball ache getting the bus for work.

Clearly he’s not, otherwise he would have wombled free

Got tickets for centre court on Thursday.

Apologies in advance for clogging up the place!

British lady player (Francesca Jones) with only a thumb and three fingers in each hand. Never seen that before in tennis.

There was a boy at my first school with the same condition.

I always wanted to go and sneak in a shitload of psychedelics, like Hunter Thompson at The Kentucky Derby.

1 Like