The Tennis Thread

Congratulations to Emma Raducanu on reaching the US Open final.

She’s been absolutely outstanding so far.

3 Likes

So the US Open final will be a 19yo vs an 18yo

This would surely have to be the first time 2 teenagers have made an Open final isn’t it?

Not according to the BBC:

Raducanu’s victory then set up the eighth Grand Slam final in the Open Era between teenagers.

It is the first since the 1999 US Open when American hope Serena Williams beat Switzerland’s Martina Hingis.

1 Like

Ah, forgot about Hingis being young when she broke through.

She is the first qualifier to reach a final of the US Open I believe.*

*Actually a glad slam final as Goran who I thought had qualified was a wildcard.

1 Like

9 matches so far without dropping a set.

Absolutely ridiculous level of tennis from an 18 year old, and the same can be said for her opponent.

2 Likes

Tuned into the Semi Final thinking this when the pressure mounts and yet she does dominated, all the chances she allowed she didn’t let her opponent grasp.

Seems a real talent fingers crossed for her now, she had booked flights home a fortnight back :slightly_smiling_face:

Raducanu yet to be beaten in a Grand Slam given she retired ill from her 4th round match at Wimbledon.

Phenomenal performance, she’s already far exceeded any expectations so hopefully she approaches the final as nothing to lose. She’s already been a success.

3 Likes

I didn’t even realise Raducanu is British, most of the time over here has been spent on the Canadian girl having an equally good US Open so far. Great to see some talented young players making the final and I hope they can become dominant players not flash in the pans. It feels like tennis needs a few new superstars.

1 Like

Particularly in the men’s game.

1 Like

For UK viewers, Amazon Prime, that has exclusive rights to the final, has agreed to allow Channel 4 to also broadcast the final live. Coverage from 9pm tonight, I think.

1 Like

Be great if she wins.

Was unlucky at Wimbledon - the occasion
Appeared to get the better of her, without knowing the medical sins and out.

Good luck - bring it home

WOW.

What a match.

Emma Raducanu, Grand Slam Champion!!

From qualifying, in the main draw she played 14 sets, won 14 sets, never even taken to a tie-break.

5 Likes

There’s never been anything like that for either sex at the Majors. Phenomenal skill and mental coolness beyond belief at that age.

4 Likes

Regardless of nationality, that is an astounding achievement.
Suddenly Women’s tennis has become interesting.
No doubt Fernandez will be back. Let’s hope it’s the beginning of a great rivalry.

2 Likes

Simply, WOW.

Congratulations Emma Raducanu. Phenominal tournement

Fantastic match, amazing achievement and a piece of sporting history.

1 Like

Watched every second with the girls, magic night :slight_smile:

She went down in the record books, the first of many.

I see the usual toads are out from under their rocks.