The Tennis Thread

Just watched it on Prime; what a cracking match. Fernandez was let down by her serve but chased everything and hit some breathtaking shots; Raducanu was, however, simply the better overall player tonight.

To have done what she has done- ten games, no sets dropped, and becoming the first ever qualifier to lift a Grand Slam trophy in the Open era- is simply remarkable.

Let’s hope that these two wonderful young ladies both stay injury free and keep us entertained for many years to come.

4 Likes

The irony isn’t lost on the likes of Farage congratulating the half Chinese/Romanian immigrant from Canda eh…

Up yours you right wing twats!

Amazing performance.

4 Likes

It all goes to show how illogical the whole idea of national patriotism is.
She’s a great young talent with an exciting future ahead of her, and her place of birth, her parents nationality or how long she’s lived in a certain place are irrelevant.

2 Likes

Damn her for coming over here and stealing our tennis jobs. :wink:

What a remarkable rise she has had / is having. Ranked 300+ before the tournament, now in the top 25 I think. Great for the sport that there are two new faces that have literally smashed their way into the top ranks. Here’s hoping they can both push the sport on.

I’m fascinated in what has changed for her in the last months to leap forward as she has done. A great story I’m sure.

1 Like

What was the controversy?

Unless I missed something people are praising her for acknowledging NY and the people

I think it was probably when she moaned about Raducanu having a medical timeout when blood was pouring down her leg. It looked pretty classless tbf. But she’s only 19.

Also didn’t come across brilliantly in the post match interview. Again, she’s young though and would obviously have been disappointed.

1 Like

Yeah; was very disappointing to see her reaction when Raducanu clearly had blood trickling down her shin.

However, Fernandez did subsequently apologise for her actions, saying that they came about in the heat of the moment.

1 Like

Yep, my issue was mainly that she didn’t care to even enquire about what the issue with Raducanu was, she just went straight to complaining about the interruption.

She went down a little bit in my estimation at that point.

Then her comments about the crowd being on her side. Meh.

Still, she’s only 19 and would have been disappointed. In many ways it’s unfair to expect a composed interview in such circumstances.

3 Likes

Maybe a new dawn is dawning in men’s tennis.

1 Like

Djokovic has been nobbled by the Russian mafia

1 Like

nerve agent or some sort of exotic isotope?

1 Like

I know this is very likely as fake as fake gets, but wouldn’t it be a thing if Emma Raducanu was a Red…
King Leo (@Love_KLopp) Tweeted:
you know she is a keeper @LFC https://twitter.com/Love_KLopp/status/1437520495465975809/photo/1 https://twitter.com/Love_KLopp/status/1437520495465975809?s=20

Klopp has said some really nice things about her.

2 Likes

Well she has fond memories of the city. She won a tournament five years ago.

That’s it then, sign her up. Can she play the false 9?

People pointed out she was unbeaten at Wimbledon and pulled out. Potentially has the game for these majors.

Draw also broke a little kind for her, that takes nothing away as she is a 150 rank playing beating 12 and lower.

Also I wish her all the best as the Uk needs to encourage more tennis players it’s a sport we lack in. I kind of worried as Andy M got older but maybe Emma R will keep us interested.

Anyhow the achievement is out of this world

1 Like

To be fair some don’t ever win a major so if she achieved nothing else she has achieved that. Wonder if she will be a major type player

She is 18-year old.

Progress can’t go perfectly linear.

1 Like

Even if she does, she has still acheived more than 99% of people, and is still only 18. Anyone who wants to hang shit on her can FRO.

Also, some players step up for the bigger tournements, so she could well be someone that is better suited to playing in the majors rather than the normal curcuit events

2 Likes