The Tennis Thread

He seems a nice lad.

2 Likes

But a bloody loser!

2 Likes

I think let’s give the lad a chance, if he gets to 35 and his career has been a bit shit then so be it.

2 Likes

Where does one draw the line?

Emma Raducanu has won a major but has done fuck all since.

Oh, my apologies - she’s been “injured” for a million years.

Raducanu looks more likely to go in the direction of Michael Chang, a one-GS wonder. Meeting Vekic first round is a tough gig. Let’s see how she does going forward. She hasn’t had an injury free full tennis season in her entire career so that needs to happen first.
Not sure where any vitriol is coming towards Draper for. Lad is only 22. At that age Djokovic was considered a fragile sore loser who used to “retire injured” from matches he was inevitably losing. Let’s see how he goes. He can’t yet serve with full power because he’s slowly getting his confidence back in his shoulder after injury. I see a lot of upside if he becomes more consistent.

2 Likes

Yup the lads quite young.

Murray was sort a step up from Henman at his age but still seemed to keep coming up short.

That is a harsh portrayal of Chang’s career. He was a top 10 ranked player for the best part of a decade and reached a career high ranking of #2 some 6 or 7 years after his single grand slam win.

2 Likes

It’s almost like Murray won his Grand slams at the perfect time in his career. However if you look at it it’s a effectively a 3 year period where he was at the top.

Murray peaked at a time of almost certainly the best quality top 3 there has ever been with Fed, Nadal and Djoko, and for a period, even if only a couple of years, Murray made it a legit big 4.

1 Like

Still his period of success was quite short if not lacking in quantity

Early days but looks as though we got ourselves a final. Fritz breaking back immediately to tie at 2-2 and now leading 3-2 in the first was pivotal.

Sinner already breaking twice in this first set to swing it back in his court.

Unfortunately the quality of the tennis is not very high.

Sinner to win it in any case.

Cursed that

40 love down and wins 5 points in a row to win the game…what can you do.

Not sure about Sinner’s 70s look with the real tight, short shorts mind…real throwback player isn’t he?

More concerned with his doping than his shorts

1 Like

I dunno. There are some oddities or there in tennis rankings like Thomas Muster and Petr Korda and Marcelo Rios. They all made it to the top or near the top but those almost felt like shallow moments in terms of depth at the top of men’s tennis for me.

Draper gave Sinner more trouble especially in the second set than Fritz did in the entire match.

1 Like

I dont know what you are trying to say here, and the only “odd” about someone like Muster reaching high rankings is related to the “controversy” of being able to do so based almost entirely on clay (at one point breaking Bjorg’s long standing record of consecutive wins on the surface in ranking tournaments). Regardless though, Chang played in an era full of talent, having to compete against greats like Becker, Lendl, Edberg, Samprass, Agassi, Courier and had grand slam wins against all them. In that era he was for several years consistently a top 5-10 talent and at times good enough to be flirting with the #1 ranking spot.

1 Like

Probably the weirdest ‘how did this happen?’ tennis moment for me was the Washington v Kraijcek Wimbledon final, don’t think either of them did anything of note in the sport ever again.

Indeed.

Krajicek is probably better known for his “fat pigs” comment than his tennis.

1 Like