The TV Thread redux

Anyone else on this Tokyo Vice shit?

I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Looks pretty. Interesting idea. Pretty shit in the end though. Just really difficult to take the main guy seriously as the hero of his own story. It felt more like Walter Mitty than a gritty crime drama

Im enjoying a random show I found on Hulu called Reprisal. Its about the wife of a dead gang leader enlisting help to kill the other gang members as they threaten her life in his wake. Its played pretty hunourously and very stylised.

I really miss Bill Hader on SNL

1 Like

Patton Oswalt GIF by Team Coco

I miss Andy Samberg

Cunk on Earth, probably one series I wished was a bit longer. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Diane Morgan is brilliant. Total deadpan humour. There’s a couple of other series that we have been watching with her: Motherland, which is an ensemble sitcom about competitive mothers, and Mandy which is Morgan as a idiotic woman who gets herself into increasingly surreal scrapes.

3 Likes

Yeah, we really enjoyed Motherland as well

1 Like

Charlie Brooker is an excellent writer. He has certainly found an excellent foil in Diane Morgan.
Archaeologists I follow on twitter have been loving the show and calling for Cunk to do more on the Pseudo archaeology stuff.

2 Likes

“ The new series will explore how the cynical and sarcastic Basil navigates the modern world.”

dear god no GIF

2 Likes

Is this the same John Cleese that said that “Fawlty Towers could never be made today” because of Cancel Culture?

It could work if they update their cultural references, Basil raging at Trip Advisor and so on.

2 Likes

Sure as hell won’t be taking the piss out of the Germans.

1 Like

John.

Please, please, please. For the love of god. Don’t do this.

1 Like

The row about the Germans episode wasn’t to do with Basil taking the piss out of the Germans (actually the joke is about Basil’s erratic behaviour). The Major goes on a racist rant at the beginning where he tries to explain the differences between the Indian and West Indies cricket teams referring to them as w–s and n-----s. He then goes on a rant about the Germans which is why Basil is terrified of someone offending them.

Now, I think it was very funny because I totally knew old duffers like that at the time that would be incredibly polite but use the most outrageously offensive racial slurs as if they were neutral descriptors. It’s cringe comedy, but don’t think a modern audience would get that. Times change and you need a common set of cultural references for humour to work.

4 Likes

He has obviously never seen Mrs Brown’s Boys.

1 Like

Lucky him.

3 Likes

The scene with the doctor was funny at the time (apparently) Basil is shocked at the doctor being black. But it’s famous for the Germans and rightly so. Brilliant performance from a man on top of his game.

It’ll be bloody awful.

1 Like

I think that’s a complete myth. Only when so called modern audiences believe what the media is telling them they need to think will it be true.