The TV Thread redux

No, it’s down to common cultural references. It’s why many only old comic plays and books fall flat with modern audiences. A lot of Shakespeare’s jokes are lost on a modern audience although the knob gags seem to stand the test of time.

If I watch old comedies from the 70s I’ll get the references because I was there. It’s also easy to spot the ones that were lame at the time because they relied on tired old stereotypes.

3 Likes

It’s very personal and I can imagine that some people don’t warm to Schama, but I really enjoyed this series…

2 Likes

He’ll destroy whatever vestiges of respect and admiration he has left

We might be wrong. He might write something genius, something wonderfully funny. A searing insight into the ridiculous shouty woke cancel karen culture.

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Thanks Wayne :wink:

It will just be a documentary of Cleese over the past 10 years. It will be like Alf Garnet, without the irony.

1 Like

We started For All of Mankind on Apple. An alternative history in which the Soviets beat the US to the moon and so the space race continued with the same intensity. It’s brilliant.

Apple is really odd with its lack of marketing. This looks to be one of their first generation shows, with 4 seasons under its belt, and I have never seen a single promotion for it. Apple is probably the best marketer of their products of the modern era and for this flagship product its like they just havent bothered and are content to just throw their shows onto this platform and hope news spreads by word of mouth.

1 Like

Mrs talked me into watching Last Man Standing with Tim Allen. Pretty much home improvements meets exactly what this FT re-make might be. Dinosaur in the modern world. It’s actually very funny so maybe there’s hope. Some brilliant lines and some quite risqué jokes.

I didn’t like Wednesday, probably nostalgia for the films when I was a kid but it just felt like a derivitive version of the movies to me. I’m also not the target audience.

Watching 100 Physical with the wife, its a Korean show where they’ve got together 100 of the fittest people in Korea and challenge then to simple but hard competitions. Kind of based on Squid Games (or atnleast influenced by it). The tasks are very simple - hold onto this bar for as long as possible, have the ball in your hands at the end of 3 minutes etc which makes the physical aspect harder.

The people taking part are all high quality athletes - olympians, MMA fighters, bodybuilders. Its a very fun show.

3 Likes

I’m watching the Umbrella Academy, enjoying it. Bit like Stranger Things but futuristic scifi v’s alien. Anything with a good sound track will always grab me.

1 Like

First season was good :grin:

Yeah, decent series.

Yeah we watched the first couple of episodes, it was suprisingly entertaining. But we’re waiting for all the episodes to drop before we go back to it.

1 Like

it deviates in/out of some interesting plot lines.

Its great fun.

Just finished Happy Valley.

Magnificent show with great script, acting, plot and locations. It has definitely finished with no possibility of a fourth season and that’s fine. Quit while you’re on top,
although a show following Catherine’s travels to the Himalayas in her Land Rover would make for interesting viewing.

2 Likes

Just finished the Orville. Wheras S1 and S2 were reverently pastichy of Star Trek (and damn good fun too) S3 is pretty much the definition of cramming modern politics into a place they don’t belong. Shame really. Now they’re basically re-making TNG only combining it with Woke of Thrones. A few good episodes but a sad let down.

Now started on The Last of Us. Flesh eating zombie movies are not really my thing but want to see what all the fuss is about. Ep1 certainly shows promise.

Nobody tell him! :rofl:

Television (and film) has always had an element of propaganda to it, brainwashing the masses.

1 Like

I’m quite odd (no shit) in that I’ll usually watch or read a spoiler review before watching a film / series. Always read the last page of a book before reading it. Can’t explain why either. Haven’t done with this, just know there’s a golf club looming.

The shaky hand camera work pisses me off though.

Hey Lyra Mormont just said fuck you!