The TV Thread redux

Gotta stick with Schitts Creek. On the first watch for me and my lovely wife we were close to ditching it altogether. But season 2 onwards it’s an absolute joy.

And we appreciated the first season on the second viewing.

Stick with it.

Schitts Creek is definitely one of the funniest recent comedies. One of the few that I’d bother watching again.

1 Like

Iger appears to be maneuvering to back away from “the streaming wars.” He bought Fox before he left the first time, at a huge valuation, as a move to fill a gap in Disney’s library of quality adult content (The Fx and Hulu brand mainly). If they were going to compete they needed more than the family friendly stuff that was Disney already did and gave a home to on their service.

He has given of signals since he’s come back that he now thinks it isn’t a fight worth having for companies like Disney who don’t need to win it. I think quite correctly, he seems to think that the cost of winning will be too much, and that even for a company as big as them, trying and failing will leave them exposed to being bought out. Therefore he looks to be backing away from general audience scripted tv (and essentially the fruits of the Fox deal), content to have a streaming service that is only a niche service, but one that supplements the overall company well. If this is the direction, you will see a reduction in scope and overall spending on content under the DIsney umbrella, but with a doubling down in the company on existing branded content you wont necessarily see a planned reduction in spending on stuff like Star Wars and Marvel.

The challenge of course is that the need to double down on these franchises is coming at a time when they are at creative dead ends so if we start seeing less content coming out of these studios it’s likely due to that rather than cost cutting per se.

1 Like

As for Schitts Creek, it is on the best bit of telly that’s been made in years. The first season is a bit one note as the character arcs still havent really kicked in, but if given time it well worth the patience.

2 Likes

I felt that way about Rubicon

1 Like

I’ve heard this, not much for tele these days though. hate commercials.

As characters their arcs take a while to kick in. In the first season they are all pretty unlikeable and it take them all into the second season to start accepting their situation and moving on. In the long view it works well, but I accept it can make the first season a bit of a slog to get through.

1 Like
2 Likes

I thought Jodie Foster had retired from showbiz…odd.

Thought the same thing about Joe Pesci until I saw him show up in the Irishman. :sunglasses:

He’s making a fucking good fist of it.

1 Like

Because he’s on a channel you don’t like?

No, because he seems absolutely determined to do everything he can do to piss on his legacy.

He’s a bit like Morrisey to me. Adore his back catalogue, feel sad about how what fuck has gone wrong with him.

1 Like

I seem to be the only one that had Morrisey down as a twat from day one. I would have loved to hear The Smiths as an instrumental band to be honest.

2 Likes

You know something, I’m increasingly of the opinion that you’re Rimmer to my Lister. We couldn’t be further apart. I fucking HATE Morrisy. Still, misery likes company.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

klopptimist thinking he’s the Lister!!!

Come on, @mascot irons his underpants and I drink like a fish :slight_smile:

Does @Commando iron his underpants also… or does he go his namesake :0)

1 Like

Bad parenting

Let’s hope it’s closer to season one than season two

1 Like