The TV Thread redux

yep. lots of overpaid union guys out there looking for cash jobs right now.

Why do you frame it like that?

weā€™re called ā€œHollywood Northā€ for a reason?

Ok, let me rephrase, you appear to be taking a negative view of the strike action? Why do you think that?

no, itā€™s a realistic view of the outcome of the strike action. the writers go on strike, many productions shut down. Very naive to think the writers strike only affects the writers.

Guys who are used to pulling $150k/yr to drive a production vehicle around between sets are now looking for work, but they donā€™t want to take legit jobs because that income will be taxed at a 150k/yr rate, not at the rate theyā€™re being paid. So, they want CASH jobs.

make sense now?

That would be naĆÆve, but who has said that? Whose argument are you countering with that comment?

awfully defensive if youā€™re thinking that I was referring to you. Bit edgy today?

More just confused as to what part of what conversation, and with whom, you are having.

got it. well I hope that got cleared up for ya.

Have been enjoying this season of Barry. Been arguably the darkest yet but still funny. The scene with the youtube baseball clips was hilarious

Ted Lasso has also been good so far this season, bit meandering but enjoyable fare. Looking forward to seeing how both programmes end

Iā€™m 10 minutes into Sanctuary series, Japanese with subtitles, I think Iā€™m going to love this.

Watched a couple episodes of Citadel on Prime, and itā€™s best described as cheesy spy show that steals everything from 70s bond movies with a fair amount of Bourne thrown in.

After the episodes, they do the prestige TV show thing where they interview the director and actors to hear about what they were trying to show/accomplish in each shot, and I about spit out my drink when it came on. Iā€™m not sure what show they think they are making, but itā€™s not one where we need to revisit key scenes with the director afterwards. The show was kind of entertaining in a over the top ridiculous way. The disconnect between the end product and what they think they are making is to wide a gap, it makes it not as fun anymore to know they arenā€™t in on the joke with you. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll go back to it.

If you can find that post-show stuff for Succession I highly suggest you watch it as it drastically increases the disdain you will have for Kendall. If you think the character is a self-important blow hard, the actor turns it up to 11.

I love Ted Lasso. caught up in Season 3. so good.

I havenā€™t gotten into Succession. I know itā€™s probably really good, but Iā€™m just not excited about watching super wealthy people be dumb assholes for an hour. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m missing out, and itā€™s probably WAAAAAY better than that stupid spy show lol, but I canā€™t bring myself to commit to it.

1 Like

Started watching Florida Man, 3 episodes in and am enjoying it.

1 Like

I completely get what you mean and is why I struggled to get into it as well.

When Entourage ended I realized that a big part of its success was people pretty profoundly misunderstanding it. The displays of wealth and and success were the superficial thing against which the bond of these long time friends was always contrasted against. The point of a show was that it was a buddy story, not the ā€œlook what we can buyā€ because every storyline was always premised on them all being willing to give it up and go back to NYC. Yet when it finished the ā€œreplacementā€ show, one clearly targeted at the Entrourage audience, was that one from the Rock about the NFL. It had all of the ā€œIm rich, look what I can doā€ storylines but with none of the heart and seemed to be just as successful. I assumed Succession was just the boardroom/Nepo baby version of that, but I think they do a really good job of making clear these are awful people who arent meant to be celebrated in a way the Rock show never seemed to understand.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll interject, aside from Top Gun remade, almost ever film made by Hollywood over the last few years has been shite.

Think Iā€™ll revisit Treme, just seen itā€™s available on catch up
I recall watching the first 2 seasons and really enjoying it.
Canā€™t remember why I stopped watching

1 Like

Finished Rabbit Hole last night, first series Iā€™ve watched in ages.

Very much enjoyed it, filled to the brim with twists and turns, hope there will be a renewal announced soon.