The TV Thread redux

I won’t pretend that it’s ground-breaking TV or unmissable or anything like that, but I just finished The Gryphon on Prime and really enjoyed it.

It’s kind of a mix of Stranger Things and Supernatural - kid has powers to enter a dark fantasy world and has to defeat the evil forces there kinda thing, mentor-like big brother etc - but it’s based on a book written in the mid-80s so predates both, interestingly.

Ironically, despite being written in the 80s and being reminscent of a show celebrating that decade, it’s actually set in the mid-90s and has a kick-ass soundtrack.

The effects are a bit ropey in places (you can tell the budget is modest) but I enjoyed the storyline, the nature of the fantasy world and most of the characters. Give it a watch if you’re stuck for viewing.

Would also recommend watching it in its original German with subtitles, rather than the dubbed version.

2 Likes

Finished watching Fubar. Not that good, but i still enjoyed it. I think its been given a second season.

Good casting.

2 Likes

I’ve just worked out that this is Der Greif. I noticed that on Prime. I may give it a go.

2 Likes

Blackouts of 74 - When the lights went out.

Fond childhood memories.
Todays generations are spoilt

1 Like

Where’s that on?

We call it “the winter” where I live!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist the opportunity.

1 Like

I notice this news story in the Graun. Apparently, They are scrapping a TV series remake of Fritz Lang’s classic Metropolis due to the writers strike:

This got me thinking. Which other film and TV series should they absolutely leave alone and never sully with their derivative, pale-imitation re-imaginings? I think I’d start with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

1 Like

Kes, The Big Lebowski, Chinatown, Dog Day Afternoon etc etc

4 Likes

Pretty much any classic movie lol.

Starters for 10:

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Butch Cassidy
The Godfather

3 Likes

It was on channel 5 over the weekend.

1 Like

Is that a character from Charles Addams’s original cartoons or is it Scrappy Bloody Doo…

It was pointing the finger at Netflix’s grim obsession with true crime docs and the explotative nature of them. It was more of a Black Mirror episode than Demon 79.

It wasn’t a mystery that required a detective like Bergerac to solve, but a well told story set in a beautiful location. I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Yeah, same, and in that regard it was definitely on a theme with the Joan Is Awful episode. Pretty bold of Brooker to bite the hand that feeds him!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good point and I can buy that. There was seemingly an absence of technology in the point the episode was making and that made it feel out of place, but I guess I can buy that a comment on streaming services scratching for content and leaning heavily on exploitive content is a commentary about the role of tech.

1 Like

I tried watching Succession. ep 3. characters are all annoying as fuck. hard pass.

Ted Lasso, still the best bit of TV I’ve seen in a decade.

I tried watching Succession episode 1. Didn’t like it, it’s not for me.

Clarksons Farm - Brilliant.

Probably a great indicator of the absolute pettiness of planning committees all over the country.

3 Likes

The 24 reboot looks pretty hardcore.

Yes, it’s a great show. Not a fan of Clarkson the person, but it’s not only entertaining but you learn a lot about farming and the state of it in the UK right now.