The TV Thread redux

That’s the point. Shows how money does not make nice people. Stick with it.

Started the second season last night. Watching him getting outsmarted by chickens and cows is priceless. Great program.

Yeah sort of enjoyed it, felt a little bit tame though.

1 Like

I’ve started SIlo and half way through I’m still on the fence. The episode where they spend 75% of the time fixing the generator made me think they dont have enough here to really fill out the season beyond an interesting concept.

1 Like

I’m half way through Shiny Happy People on Amazon about the Duggers. People outside the US may not know them, but they are very famous here as a result of an early reality series about them premised on the fact they had 17 kids (later more). It was bizarrely popular and launched a mini empire for them and was at the forefront of Discovery and TLC turning away from their core educational mission towards trash.

The original show presented them as a wholesome family with religion and love at the center of their world, and as probably surprises no one it turns out their story was really one of awful abuse. This new Amazon series reveals the cult like nature of the church they were a part of the awful things the parents did to keep the show going and the money coming in from it.

This may be a completely coincidence, but it’s hard to watch it and not view it at least in part as a hit piece on David Zaslav, the new heard of Warner Bros (HBO) and so head of one of Amazon’s primary competitors. He was the head of Discovery Inc at the time their networks took this turn towards trash TV. It was this corp, with him at the head, that recently acquired Warner Bros and with it HBO and since has made numerous moves viewed as diminishing the incredibly hard earned brand value of HBO.

1 Like

I’ve just watched this with my wife. Some fond memories although the IRA bombings are a nasty reminder.

Many thanks for the recommendation. There does appear to be quite a bit that is of interest on the My5 player.

1 Like

Started rewatching Rome. Still holds up.

rome GIF

4 Likes

At some point I’ve also promised myself a redo of the History of Rome podcast, but might have to wait until I retire to find the time

Anyone watching The Idol?

I like it but it’s overly sexualized.

Presume we all watched DaVinci’s Demons?

For those interested, Red Dwarf is on iPlayer. The whole smegging lot:

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1671419933258055680?t=jeapvXUv4GkQJmq2X-M0aA

2 Likes

Particularly liked the season where Rimmer quoted a space core directive in each episode then Kryton destroyed him by quoting what it actually said.

1 Like

Even If You Have Little Interest in Cycling -
Watch the First Episode + You Will Probably Want to Watch More

1 Like

Very well written and acted out series was Your Honor, very much enjoyed that and sad to hear it won’t be coming back for a 3rd.

Moved onto the White Lotus…halfway through the first series.

I find a lot of the characters very…pompous & stuck up but I guess that’s the point of the show having checked into this fancy 5* resort, with the exceptional Murray Bartlett as the hotel manager, something about him that’s quite gravitating.

Been getting hit with adverts recently for The Night Agent on netflix.

Gave in and statred watching it the a couple of nights ago, and it has been rather decent so far.

I watched it immediately after the Diplomat. I really really liked the Diplomat. I thought Night Agent was really silly, even if moderately entertaining for a short run of a 10 episodes, but it’s possible it just felt sillier in comparison.

1 Like

S2 just became particularly relevant with Prigozhin being given amnesty and sent to Belarus. DIdnt exactly work out as promised for Brutus.

Spartacus from a few years back was well worth a watch also

Just started s2 today. History repeats itself ad infinatium; you will always be able to find modern analagies for ancient situations. Nothing new under the sun and all that.

Still quality television in s2 but a shame they crammed so much into one season instead of the planned 5.