The TV Thread redux

Ok, having had a further look, I’ve managed to find something called ‘Hello Tomorrow’ which doesn’t seem to have the best reviews, but at least looks kind of interesting and I like Billy Crudup and Hank Azaria.

Apple is also going to have the 3rd instalment of the Band of Brothers series, Masters of the Air, but I don’t think it debuts until Jan/Feb. Hopefully closer to the original than to the Pacific, but we will see.

I was really surprised at that, largely because The Doctor told off Jo Grant for Misgendering Alpha Centauri back in the seventies. Maybe do all get more right wing as we get older, after all.

1 Like

I think we immediately leave this here.

Oh I quite enjoyed the Pacific, perhaps even a little more than BOB overall.

I loved it. Thought it was a proper return to form, and exactly what Doctor Who should’ve - fast, funny, adventure with everyone included.

I literally can’t be arsed with the Misgendering thing. Anyone frothing about that needs to get in the sea. Doctor Who has been right on since 1963 ffs. Same people were kicking off about Russell’s gay agenda in 2005. Boring.

The trans saves the day stuff did bother me, only in that I didn’t really understand what was going on. I don’t mind someone’s trans-ness defeating the baddie, but I need to know how the mechanics of that works. Felt more lazy than woke.

The sonic screwdriver suddenly working as an impenetrable force field really pissed me off. That undermines any jeopardy the Doctor is in going forward.

But overall thought it was great.

I agree it was good, but struggled with the new characters in each episode. I understand why that needed to be the approach, but made it slightly tougher for episodic storytelling and watching for me. Really looking forward to air one, hope it’s good.

1 Like

Makes 2 of us.

Wheel of time season two was a marked improvement on season one.

being a wheel of time fan (books) for decades i decided before seaon one to just enjoy the characters i love being put on screen.

it has holes, yes.

funnily enough, books 1-3 are very dated and are hard to re-read (book one being more a homage to LOTR than an unique universe), so the show pretty much following the books on trajectory…if season three nails it, you could have something a bit better than ‘cult following’.

really enjoying the journey.

1 Like

I’m absolutely calm and composAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJKASHKLJAHSLDKJASHDLKJGAJHSDWKJHGJHKGAGHAAGB;A;NN:MSDNAM;SDN:;ASDBČJALKSFJNJKQWKJBA;SBNMASDBNM;ABNM;SD; ASDNAN:;SDNGBDOSŠHOPARHJASKNJDASDA SDAKJLSGDLKJAHJKSDGASGHJDASHGDKGJASJDLKJAHLJKSDGJHGAJFSGJDGAHJSJDKLLJHKASHKJDAHJLKSDGJHAGSDKLJHAGSDČLKASHJČDLKBAS:DNBALSUKIDGPIUQPWEOIUZPOASIJEDČLABSDA;MSN D:;MAS DČAGSHDKJGALHKJDGKJASGKLDGKJGHJKGZOAZHOHLKHLKLČHKLKČĐŠĐIQIĐWOPEIOPAJKLČSKJNLĆDSANMBN;MNA;SKLDKLJHGFAHLJKSHČJHAČJKČHJAČHAČH

2 Likes

I never really got into Fallout, but I’ll probably watch this for Kyle Maclachlan.

It looks pretty though. Gives me encouragement that Amazon might actually manage to pull off a worthy production of The Dark Tower with an appropriate level of scope and detail.

Fucking hell, Doctor Who was properly good tonight.

I know. Some of you will have a hard time getting past Isaac Newton having brown skin, but let that one go - it’s an inconsequential little joke at the beginning. When they get to the spaceship, it’s an absolute corker.

2 Likes

Have to disagree with you. We’ll agree to ignore Newton, pointless. The first time they couldn’t work out who was whom, OK. But the same plot device again and then a third and 4th time? Was bored at the start and it got no better. Badly written, plodding and predictable. I know there’s a thing about Tennant being a confused doctor, a man out of time but the doctor is never a fool nor out of his depth. This one is. Losing the Tardis at the start? Once it’s fixed not checking it, instead walking into an alien ship? Nah, he’s not that daft.

It’s a shame because I loved most of the last one. this one though, hmmm.

And what the hell is going on with the waistcoat???

Yes, I thought that as it was some throwaway fun before a rather dark and trippy episode.

However, I did see someone speculating that it might be deliberate casting to set up the Toymaker messing with reality. There were a few of the 1960s episodes that messed around like that.

Anyway, it was lovely to see Bernard Cribbins one last time. Sadly, that is meant to be the only scene he filmed before he died.

1 Like

This sounds interesting…

1 Like

All I’ll say about Newton was that it was an odd choice since Newton invested loads of his money in the slave trade. But I was more bothered that the apple fallng on his head story is certainly apocryphal.

That was literally the point. The beings were getting better and better at copying them, so it got harder and harder to spot them.

Yeah, it’s just not very clever as a plot device. Newton was pure fan baiting, hello Disney.

That’s been the style of the show for years. In fact it’s shorthand in a lot of fantasy shows.

Where you are seeing the Disney influence is the amount of info dumps in the dialogue. This was very noticeable in the first episode with the Doctor’s prologue to screen before the titles.

This week’s episode had quite a few bits of tell-don’t-show about the Doctor’s background.

I think you have to appreciate that they are looking at a big new audience for which it isn’t a cultural reference point. At the moment they are just showing these as one-off films rather than a series link. Their big launch will come with Ncuti Gatwa, who they are probably hoping will bring a big audience from his Netflix show.

1 Like

I don’t think Disney have that much influence. They are fronting some cash in return for worldwide distribution. I don’t think they are saying ‘more info dumps please’. Doctor Who has always been exposition-y

1 Like