The TV Thread redux

Watched the first two, good so far, there are just the right amount of fuckwits to make you happy.

Where is that on?

I know nothing about it but I liked the James Clavell novel, is it based on that?

Yep. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Itā€™s probably based on Breathless, the 1983 US remake of the Godard classic ƀ Bout de Souffle, starring Richard ā€˜grabby handsā€™ Gere.

It is on ITVX, also produced and directed by Jed Mecurio, he wrote the excellent police series 'In the Line of Duty".

Can you get it in Germany?

1 Like

Not yet. Theyā€™ve had quite a few of his series on Magenta (the TV service we get from Telekom) so they may put it on once itā€™s dubbed. Then again, we have had a few ITV series appear here before they were broadcast in the UK.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been waiting for this for a while. Itā€™s made by Disneyā€™s Fox division so that will impact what service you will get it on depending on where you live (for us itā€™s FX and Hulu in the US).

Has anyone watched the 1980 Shogun series? I donā€™t remember much, but that was a good series.

2 Likes

Yeah, me, I enjoyed it too. Thatā€™s partly why I wasnā€™t sure this was another adaptation of the book lol

Edit: seeing as this is rated as an 18+, Iā€™m guessing it has a lot more of the bookā€™s sex and violence than the 1980s one :joy:

1 Like

Donā€™t remember anything about sex, probably because those were censored, but there were some very gory scenes including one where a person was soaked with hot water during interrogation.

1 Like

Itā€™s the same network that did SoA, The Shield, Justified and Sunny so has licence to be adult focused, but itā€™s still basic cable to wont be explicit like an HBO show.

I managed to finally finish The OA this week, Iā€™m only three or four years late. Amazing, amazing TV show, Iā€™m really disappointed that it got cancelled for some reason. Any fans here?

That is one I just donā€™t understand. I ran with it through the first season never really getting it, not understanding the credulity of the core group. But THAT scene at the end in the cafeteria just lost me. And what makes it even more difficult to get my head around is THAT scene is the big pay off for most of the people who like the show. It reminds me a lot of the Donnie Darko love from the 00sā€¦something with the patina of profundity without actually being so. Art is subjective I guess.

I am nearly finished now with the recent TV remake of the Caine classic Iprcress File. It starts slowly but picks up well by the middle to something well worth watching. The main downside is that Joe Cole (John Shelby) is as badly cast as Harry Palmer as our 3 goal flop would have been in the role.

1 Like

Masters of the Airā€¦

First few episodes were not that great. There is no real connection with any of the characters and I kept asking, which one is that? The cinematography and some of the scenes on the bombing runs are fairly incredible as youā€™d expectā€¦ but there is no connection with any of the characters. They start with the group flying over to England, there is no training or back story for anyone. Hereā€™s the group, good luck keeping them straight!

I saw somewhere someone described it as ā€œJames Dean flies a planeā€ and that is fairly accurate. Looks cool, but not a ton of substance.

All that saidā€¦I really enjoyed the last few episodes (6 and 7 I think). Itā€™s gotten better as it narrows the focus and you actually start to figure out who is who and we get less James Dean smokinā€™ ciggies flying a plane through flak. Pretty cool call out to The Great Escape in episode 7. Probably in relation to the actual event, but all I could think about was the movie lol. Itā€™s crazy to think what they were able to do, but thatā€™s another post for another day.

It takes a while to get there, but itā€™s growing on me. Looking forward to how they end it. I still think there are all kinds of problems with some of the decisions/story lines they decided to go with and the overall story telling, but itā€™s starting to come together a bit. Maybe some of it is intentional with the casualty/capture rate of the pilots/crews involved, but doesnā€™t make it easier. It can still go way off the rails in last two episodes. There is a Scottish woman officer of some sort that is making me nervous as to what direction they are going to take her in, but itā€™s yet to be seen, so maybe itā€™ll be great. But last two episodes were pretty good. If you ignore the shot down pilot wandering around Germany in the middle of the day like he wonā€™t see any Germans and similar dumb decisions, but oh well.

Have enjoyed One Piece. Iā€™m not into anime/manga adaptions particularly but this was quite passable - particularly as my boy also got into it. Itā€™s quite odd in that it isnā€™t deep but not too shallow, not quite for kids but not quite for adults and yet, it some how captures an Ā« easy Ā» middle ground.

p.s. I didnā€™t like kill billā€¦

4 Likes

Tipping point today.
Fucking dope

I had the same issue with the Pacific.

Me too. As much as they try to use band of brothers as a formula, i suspect it was simply a one off.

I did think it lacked any personal connection up until then. You are seeing the squadron torn apart with many of their comrades lost but very little in terms of the human cost on those left alive.

Having said that, the historical detail is pretty accurate and I know a few of the places shown: the U-boot pens in Bremen are around 5km away from where my son now lives (they are now a memorial and tourist attraction, if that is the right term); and the rail line on the MĆ¼nster mission runs alongside the office where I now work.

So it does work as a historical if not quite a drama. Iā€™m still very much enjoying it.