The TV Thread redux

Funnily enough, I could never get into Donnie Darko… Not all kinds of “strange” work for me. The OA was different, I sensed really strong David Lynch vibes but after watching both seasons, I’d say that the main difference is that you need to watch, for example, Twin Peaks with an open mind, while The OA needs to be watched with an open heart - if that makes any sense!

I’ve always paid more attention to art that deals with individuals, rather than society, that’s why it worked for me, especially the second season. The emotion of it, the fates of main characters, rather than the puzzle that my mind believes has to be solved and have the story completed. I honestly wasn’t looking for that sort of pay-off, I just wanted that whatever happens next happens with proper emotional depth. It did it for me, though there are some rather weird storytelling choices in the second season.

1 Like

Past the halfway mark of Reacher S2 as they get a step closer to finding out whether their old pal was in on any of this shenanigans…

Preferred it when the dude worked alone, this one has too much of a “let’s get together round a table for a group chat” (whilst talking as fast as humanly possible) feel to it.

1 Like

Shogun, I can’t stand this 1 episode a week shit. Episode 3, still good.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wait for the series to be finished before starting. I’m not worried about ‘missing the zeitgeist water-cooler/parent pickup etc convos’

2 Likes

It rather depends on whether the show was intended to be binge watched or not. Masters of the Air works weekly because they are largely self contained episodes. Enjoying Shogun so far as well.

Neither can I. I lose interest very quickly. Interestingly, when I was a kid all series on TV had just one weekly episode.

2 Likes

You must be ancient…

animation arises GIF

When I was a kid the UK had three tv channels.

2 Likes

The whole premise of how the Poltergeists got to Carol Ann would make no sense at all to a Gen Z audience

2 Likes

I watched that with one of our kids and they had no idea what the white noise after closedown on on the TV screen was. They actually don’t remember analogue TV.

1 Like

Oh poor you.

When I was a kid, the way to change channels was to get up off the sofa and walk across the room the manually change the channel.

And whilst doing that, one of your sibblings/dog/cat/random pain in the arse would jump on the sofa and nick your spot.

2 Likes

“It’s your turn to change the channel!”
“No, it’s your turn.”
“No, it’s yours!”

Repeat until parent comes in and smacks you both for being lazy and making too much noise.

4 Likes

Luxury! We had to fiddle with the twiddly tuning dial whilst your sibling held the ariel in a particular angle at the window. When you got back to the sofa you discovered that the channel was in bloody Welsh!

2 Likes

That is when it is totally ok the throw the tv out of the window. And back then they wete so heavy it no doubt would take 2 people to puck the bastard thing up

1 Like

I’m not sure how Led Zeppelin managed it on a regular basis.

Those bloody push in buttons…we were in yorkshire…but could only pick-up Tyne Tees for some programmes…

We had just one channel till the 90s. Even color TV was a luxury.

For a few years my screen would slowly climb up until the top of the TV program entered the bottom of the screen and it would scroll up constantly. Ah, good times.

1 Like

My Uncle used to be a tv repair man…which was convenient…he used to take the back off the tv, check all the valves and replace the odd one…the good old days eh!!!

Don’t forget the thumping and slapping on the top and on the sides :laughing:

1 Like