The TV Thread redux

One of the things I love about rewatching that show is just how many people I recognised from watching other things inbetween viewings.

I doubt band of brothers will ever be surpassed when it comes to a WW2 mini series. Way to much emotional connections to real life individuals that you got to see in the flesh, and then re-experience through quality acting.

2 Likes

IIRC, Band of Brothers was a Tom Hanks project which was spurred by his interest in the stories of the 501st after he filmed Saving Private Ryan.

the Bastogne scenes were filmed indoors, if you can believe it. all of those explosions in the Ardenne forest created inside a huge sound stage.

1 Like

Yeah, Hanks and Spielberg have been EPs on all 3

1 Like

And Damien Lewis, who played one of the leads in Band of Brothers, is a huge Red. :slight_smile: Amazing show, especially considering that it’s about two decades old now and that its age should show at least in terms of special effects - it doesn’t.

1 Like

he was also a very good lead in Homeland

Started Constellation on Apple. It’s about unexplained phenomenon an astronaut starts experiencing after an accident with the ISS. It’s kind of part sci fi (the accident occurred immediately after a breakthrough quantum physic experiment), but has allusion to films like Event Horizon and Sunshine. 3 episodes in I have no real idea what is happening, but so far its really interesting. I just hope they have a non-stupid way of bringing it together.

3 Likes

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

only joking, I havent seen it yet, just wanted to use the gif :rofl:

The Secret Army - BBC 2 NI tomorrow 2100

While waiting for the last episode of Constellation I started the 3 Body Problem on Netflix. It’s an adaptation of a Chinese Sci Fi book that when it was released was treated as one of the first big contemporary pieces of Chinese literature to be a hit in the west. The name refers to an ongoing problem in classic physics in being able to describe in general term the behavior of 3 objects that are having gravitational impact on each other so you knew it was going to be sci fi heavy. It starts well, but disappointingly falls away into silliness (and bad acting) by the midpoint. Not expecting much for the remaining episodes.

2 Likes

That’s a pity because it sounds like an interesting concept. Does Netflix have a bit of a quality control problem, because a lot of their series seem to end up like this.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Warrior, on Netflix. It’s not a totally serious show, in a similar manner to how Sons of Anarchy wasn’t (lots of people dying in a tiny area with very little impact on the town around it) but there’s lots of martial arts fights and an interesting plot.

2 Likes

X-Men 97 isn’t a bad watch. Prediictable storylines but still.

2 Likes

I think it’s less QC and more a reflection that the changes in the industry (more streaming services meant they were no longer being licenced the content they had previously relied on) have meant they had to massively increase their own production to fill their library. You simply cannot maintain a reputation for quality when you shift to a volume focus.

Interestingly though, when you look at what they report as being successful on their platform it is often popcorny, middle of the road stuff that wouldnt have got produced had they retained a focus on producing prestige content.

2 Likes

The books were interesting but it felt qs if they were paying homage to Clarke, Asimov and starship troopers at the same time…

As with the Foundation adaptation I’m not sure I want to get into it for spoiling the books…

1 Like

One to watch out for…

1 Like

Finished both of these over the weekend.

3 body problem started interestingly and then went downhill…bad character development and bad acting with the whole thing veering off into silliness. It’s firmly in the Manifest category where it might still be worth persevering with in the second season but you need to accept how shit lots of elements are if you’re going to do it.

Constellation felt like it ambled to the end of the season. The episode 3 before the end was fantastic. It really pulled the covers off the mystery of what was happening and left you with the question of how they resolve it. The last 2 episodes then didnt really do anything with that set up. It felt like they thought they were giving you some big reveal but didn’t really tell you anything new and didn’t really go anywhere with the resolution.

I then started The Brothers Sun and it’s wonderful. Its such a shame they seem to be done after just one season.

1 Like