The TV Thread redux

Watched Litvinenko; a little bit ponderous but probably make a good history piece for future generations

The Lazarus Project

All about time travelling to prevent wars/breakouts of anything than can cause mass casualty.

1st series was good, I particularly liked the added idea that they could only reset back to a specific point in time rather than going back to any old time beyond that.

2nd series was overdone beyond belief, the story to undo the 3 week time loop they kept on reliving got a little silly/messy once the reveal comes around.

:heart_eyes:
https://twitter.com/socceraid/status/1783028104036061378

Fallout is great, itā€™s genuinely, genuinely great, at least if youā€™re a die-hard fan of the game series. Iā€™m a bit surprised about the amount of black comedy but it served its purpose well. It could have some huge repercussions on the future games as the story is cannon and there are some rather big story revelations that I didnā€™t expect. A lot of ends that are probably going to be explained in the season 2, though.

1 Like

Watched it. Kind of enjoyed it while acknowledging it became a bit silly. Honestly couldnt tell you anything at this point about what happened in the second series :man_shrugging:

Shogun has become a bit of a chore in the second half of the series, but the scenes with Mariko (I just figured out she was also Cate Randa in Monarch) in the penultimate episode last week were absolutely spectacular and justified the perseverance. Got the finale to get to tonight

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just started it, got the first episode done. have only played Fallout4 but the show is very well done.

Also, this guyā€¦ heā€™s done some strange roles but a pretty good actor!

2 Likes

Started it today, it really is very unsettling. Even more so when I found itā€™s based on a true story. Richard Gadd is brave telling his story, Iā€™d be shit scared that the stalker might come back into my life.

Speaking of her, I see people already found her Facebook and Twitter profiles. Absolutely unhinged ramblings.

1 Like

Uncomfortable.

That woman is awful.

Blokeā€™s a dick too.

Oh, I just found out why.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure why Jerry thinks he was treading some obscure path on the margins of ā€œacceptableā€ comedy. He was always an inoffensive, uninteresting, NYC bore.

ā€œLegendaryā€ comedian, Steve Harvey (genuinely did not know was supposed to be a comedian) has come out in support of Jerry, though.

Remember when Jerry Seinfeld asked, ā€œWhatā€™s the deal with bananas? Youā€™ve got orange juice, apple juice, but why no banana juice?ā€.
I myself am not a Banana, but I spent many years in Hawaii, amongst Bananas, and eventually I married a Banana, and we have two beautiful children who are half-Banana, so Iā€™m acutely aware of the privilege afforded towards oranges and apples, and when a national treasure like Jerry Seinfeld chooses to make sport of the plight of Bananas, it stings just as if I were, in fact, a Banana.

1 Like

I like the idea that ā€œwokeismā€ ruined comedy rather than increasingly lazy and aging comedians building identical sets.

1. ā€œIā€™ll probably get cancelled for this jokeā€
  2. ā€œI identify as a blankā€
  3. ā€œIts a joke you snowflakes!ā€
  4. ā€œLook at all the mean things people say to me on Twitterā€

This is the framework of every comedy special since 2016.

1 Like

And they are woeful. You almost* long for the days of Bernard Manning, where he was genuinely offensive but, at least, had a well crafted joke around it.

• OK, Manning was beyond the pale, but I always felt half the problem was lesser comics who thought the racism was what made it funny.
3 Likes

This is so embarrassing from Jerry that I assume it has to be a bit. Right? Like it coinciding with the end of a 20+ year run of a universally acclaimed show written by his one time writing partner about a much loved curmudgeon who couldnā€™t give any less of a shit about being wokeā€¦that cannot be a coincidence. Right?

1 Like

I just finished Devs on Hulu. Itā€™s about a top secret project being run by the worldā€™s leading quantum computer company. Itā€™s sometimes not sure if its about the conspiracy of the new employee who goes missing after his first day at work, or the actual work of the Devs project, but its still pretty good.

2 Likes

Itā€™s excellent. I genuinely didnā€™t see the twist regarding the very basic thing about the company behind the supercomputer, some things are indeed best hidden in plain sight. Loved the performances, especially from the youngest character in the show. Alex Garland is one of my favourite filmmakers, canā€™t wait to see Civil War.

Donā€™t know if this has come up before but if you havenā€™t watched Shogun yet, buy a flask of Sake and book in for a long night. I went to bed 2 hours ago, now up for work. THAT good. Dances with Game of Samurai is absolutely brilliant. Or Game of Thrones with a good Sean Bean as Iā€™ve heard it called. Donā€™t let the subtitles put you off, you donā€™t notice after 10 mins.

2 Likes

I donā€™t really play video games (not since Tiger Woods 2011) so knew nothing about this and still loved it. Smart take and novel take on an apocalypse story and genuinely funny. And Walton Goggins

The bit I didnt understand was the timeline. I get some part of the answer is hinted at with the brain in a bell jar, but I wasnā€™t clear on the story behind the (non-ghoul) characters who span both timelines. I started to think at some point that the timeline the people in vaults knew was a lie, but that doesnt appear to be the case. Is there any non spoilery explanation for that?

1 Like

The Crowded Room

Once you get past the first half which slowly builds up the mystery is when you really start to learn what this is all about. Last few episodes when the trial is about to start is when the revelations shine through and it will hit home if youā€™re the emotional kind. Tom Holland is the star of the show.

Seen the first two seasons of Barry, which I liked. Iā€™ve heard it goes downhill. Should I continue or quit while ahead?

Each season gets progressively darker, dramatic, and less comedic. S3 is great; one of the best scenes in the entire run is when Barry is trying to comfort Sally in a typically unhinged way.

S4 is a very good season, but probably the weakest of the run. Stellar performances from the cast help and it ends well. At least, Iā€™d say it does. The time jump aint great though.

Worth finishing in my book.

2 Likes