The TV Thread redux

I started it based on this recommendation, got a couple of episodes in and searched some other reviews to find out it was almost universally panned. Holland is good in it though.

To answer our ongoing discussion.

Dr Who is a programme being dragged out of a history of dominant white hetero males into a future that allows all people to be seen as having validity. Its a fantasy science fiction show that has capacity to allow different types of character to develop.

To answer your question:
It makes no difference whether I watch something or not.
Your analogy of a Liverpool managed by a gay manager is crass, given the rest of your postā€¦rainbows and drag queens?

Becauseā€¦
If Liverpool appointed a gay manager he/she/they would deserve a world of respect.

I donā€™t care whether or not you love the old white hetero fantasy hero.
I just donā€™t like the reductive tone you take in your ā€œargumentā€.

2 Likes

No you see you intentionally mis-represent my post. I specifically said it doesnā€™t matter if our club appoints a gay manager. Please retract.

And it absofuckinglutely matters if youā€™ve seen a program whoā€™s current content you have zero idea about making your argument pointless.

Cheers.

For reference. Utterly clear.

I bet you feel like a mug now for getting this so badly wrong

1 Like

Possibly not for longā€¦

1 Like

You blithely missed the thrust of my post on the topic.

Cheers.

Subtle.

By your own admission, you havenā€™t watched it.

Well Hartnell had a fling with a woman, but it only really had that hetro thing going when Russell T Davies came back and they all went a bit drippy over Billie Piper.

2 Likes

I believe the people paying your salary need ā€œemā€

I wonder if they considered changing the name to Doctor What?

A few years ago, I asked a German friend if she had ever watched it, and her reaction was, ā€œDoctor Hu? Is he Chinese?ā€

1 Like

Doctor WTF?!

A warning is generally more effective the less subtle it is.

1 Like

Has there been a transgender Dr Who yet? Dr They/Them.

Any of the Dune fans know anything this? @Nikola ?

https://x.com/StreamOnMax/status/1790748980869050776

1 Like

If I remember correctly, it was announced once everyone involved realised they had hit the jackpot with the first installment of Dune the film. I think the new show it was called The Sisterhood back then but I genuinely didnā€™t know about the name change until the trailer came out. :joy: Looking at the actresses involved and cinematography, my hopes are really high, but I think that there were some issues with the production, some key personnel left during the pre-production. I canā€™t be bothered to check but the trailer looks ā€œrichā€ enough for me to think that those issues were successfully worked around and Iā€™m genuinely looking forward to it.

Is it based on real Herbert material or have they just winged it to take advantage of a moment (WB are in desperate need for ā€œfranchise IPā€)

If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be new material produced with the help of Herbertā€™s family (because Iā€™m sure that his children or grandchildren know exactly what he would have written had he got the chance). Still, there are a few people involved who were also involved with the films, so I hope it will be a decent watch. Itā€™s set so far into the past that they left enough space for a few seasons if the first one turns out to be a success.