The TV Thread redux

I thought Bridgerton was a pastiche.

1 Like

Yes, it gets a bit meta, doesnā€™t it.

I think I enjoyed last nightā€™s episode, but it did feel, for the first time this series, that they were rehashing old ideas. The Rogue character was essentially a lightly rewritten Cpt Jack.

1 Like

As long as he doesnā€™t behave on set like the actor playing Captain Jackā€¦

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m assuming that is why they are introducing a new character. However, the similarity in the stories and character are too close to be coincidental. The episode wasnā€™t written by Russell T Davies, but I am assuming that he told the writers to insert that (or scripted it himself uncredited)

Iā€™m just wondering whether this is a Cpt Jack reboot?

I was disappointed in it because it didnā€™t feel like it was doing anything meaningful with the star wars universe. It felt more like a generic adventure story with some jedi stuff thrown in to justify it having the star wars tag. E3 this week made me reconsider. While the execution might still be questionable there are at least some interesting directions they are trying to go with it.

Also, if this was episode that made the ā€œGo Woke Go Brokeā€ crowd got so worked up about - fucking LOL. What a bunch of fucking babies.

2 Likes

I know Iā€™m extremely late on this but I finally got around to watching Killing Eve. Season 1 was good, even though Iā€™m not a big fan of Sandra Oh (her character in Greys has no redeeming qualities and itā€™s put me off her a bit). Season 2 was fine too but I just started Season 3 and realized Iā€™m not interested anymore. I feel like the story was told and then artificially kept alive because it was popular. Eve and Villanelle havenā€™t even interacted in what feels like forever and itā€™s getting a little tiresome to keep seeing Villanelle develop almost superhuman abilities to perform assassinations.

In season one she would negotiate herself into a situation by playing off the fact sheā€™s a skinny woman - act like a prostitute sent to a rich Spanish guys birthday party in order to get him alone, act like an over excited amateur perfume maker selling her product to a famous perfume designer etc. But now she just walks into a house uncontested and starts throwing piano tuning equipment around like itā€™s a ninja star insta-killing everyone.

Think Iā€™ll just leave it at 2 seasons and move on.

4 Likes

Just been through the Pandorica with Matt Smith and the family. My god, brilliant writing and zero reference to the Drā€™s skin colour and trouser content. Ah, the good old days.

Will have to check it out now. I love anything that pisses off those whiny cryarses.

2 Likes

Look at the viewing figures. Yeah, fucking babies. Literally nobody is buying this shit anymore but thatā€™s all about the fans now isnā€™t it. Fed up of explaining fanbaiting.

1 Like

i doubt it wasā€¦

there really wasnt anything to get upset aboutā€¦basically a witches coven is hiding two prodigious talentsā€¦

i wont give away any spoilers, but the third episode is basically the explainer as to why the first two episodes played out the way they didā€¦

i personally thought it went too long as i gathered everything that happens in the third episode from the first two episodes ā€¦but it was still quite enjoyableā€¦

maybeā€¦MAYBEā€¦the GWGB brigade were getting upset about the hints about not needing a male for conception, but i cant imagine its that big a dealā€¦

Just agree that the force is female and allā€™s cool. I remember being hauled over the coals for pointing that out a few years ago. Seems I was absolutely, utterly and evidently correct.

Funny that threads are cut with scissors :wink:

Can I point out that ā€œthe GWGB brigadeā€ have just pointed out what was going to happen, what was happening and what did happen? Thanks.

Or are Marvel, Starwars and Dr Why currently enjoying massive views and revenues thanks to embracing a distinctly Californian culture?

Dr Why sends their regards:

Oh and The Marvels, great filmā€¦

The film was a box-office bomb, grossing $206 million worldwide against a gross production budget of $274.8 million, making it the lowest-grossing film in the MCU and one of the few MCU films not to break even in its theatrical run.

But itā€™s the a fault of the writers, not the spreadsheet tick box hiring strategy.

Iā€™ll go with the Spoilers

The kids were born of the force. The anger is coming from the idea this revelation supposedly ā€œdiminishes Anakinā€, by mirroring his immaculate conception. This is was presented in the PT as identifying him as the person who satisfied the prophecy of being the ā€œchosen one to bring balance to the forceā€. The frustration is seemingly that by Anakin no longer being unique in that regard itā€™s pissed all over that part of the story line. But I donā€™t know how you can think that because we all knew at the time that this take on Anakin was wrong given we all knew who he would become and what he would do. The point of the ā€œheā€™s the chosen oneā€ was to demonstrate the folly of who the Jedi had become. If you accept that the prophecy was bollocks then there is no harm to Anakinā€™s importance to show other kids created in a similar way. This is a legit direction to take with a new show because it fleshes out the idea from the PT that the Jediā€™s attitude and actions helped lead to their own downfall. The angle is that it provides a bridge to the to Darth Plagueisā€™ story of learning how to use the force to create/sustain life. My criticism of the first two episodes was that it felt like generic plot that had generic characters replaced by Jedi. This plot development makes it a legit star wars universe story. Weā€™ll see if they do justice with it.

But of course the real issue is that these characters are women and thatā€™s just DEI propaganda, or some shit like that.

1 Like

Fuck me, of all the people to buy into this bollocks I didnā€™t think it would be you.

It is sad that you think that. Watching this episode and doing a touchdown dance at having had your criticisms of this pandering to wokeness be proven right is about as substantive as having your faith in god validated for you by seeing Jesusā€™ face in your toast.

2 Likes

In this? And almost every other show currently being produced by Disney? After a while, if youā€™re seeing Jesus everywhere, there must be something going on.

Tell me youā€™ve all seen the Southpark episode into the pandaverse?

Iā€™m going to regret asking this, but we watched ā€œThe Acolyteā€ last night and quite enjoyed it. What is the controversy about it? Does it break some long held fan canon?

1 Like