The TV Thread redux

You do know that they have switched to a streaming based model? The weekly broadcast viewing figures are fairly typical for drama (I think Coronation Street is still around 1million higher) but many people will have already watched it online before it gets to BBC One.

As far as getting a younger audience on board, well yes, it’s a family show. It has rather failed its remit if only granny and grandad watch it because they remember it as kids.

2 Likes

I re-watched ‘Warren’ last week. Saw it originally on the BBC several years ago and was disappointed to see it didn’t get a second season. Martin Clunes is brilliant as the lead.

He hasn’t got a fucking clue.

Doctor Who is doing fine, and I doubt anyone gives a shit about overnights (which still, by the way, usually put it in the top ten for the day and top twenty for the week)

Whenever anyone talks about ratings for anything it’s always devoid of context. People do not watch TV in the same way as they did 20 years ago. Saying Doctor Who has lost viewers is stupid when everything has lost viewers.

I’m not sure where he is getting 8m lost viewers from. That would suggest a time Doctor Who was getting 11m. Unless he is comparing with 1960s Dalek Mania that it clearly nonsense.

1 Like

In the 1980s, the Soaps use get 20m overnights.

By the early 2000s that had fallen to about 8m.

Today Corrie and Eastenders do well to get 4m.

TV has changed a lot.

2 Likes

Misheard a comment earlier, mea culpa, Thought it was an 8m difference. So I’ll correct it with this:

Meanwhile in 2023 David Tennant’s return was met by an average of 8.19m per episode.

These episodes were not released on iPlayer in advance of the broadcast.

The overnights were 4.62m to 5.08m. The consolidated viewing (incuding watched recordings within 7 days was 6.85 to 7.61m.

Russell T Davis said that the iPlayer had taken figures over 9m for one episode. However, iPlayer isn’t included in BARB figures.

Since it is released in advance on iPlayer it is watched by around 2.3m overnight and 3.8M overall. The iPlayer figures aren’t readily available but it pretty much matches up to those missing people watching it online, either in advance or at their leisure.

Live broadcast figures alone don’t really matter these days except for things that people actually watch live: talent shows, sport and news.

2 Likes

Just watched HOTD S02 EP01.

Bloody women arguing, being tough, not enough white men and the main female lead identifies as they……

Makes zero difference because it’s absolutely frucking brilliant. THAT’S how you do it. Fantastic production, cast, script, acting and brilliant looming foreboding. It’s all about to kick off royally. I’m team black, it’s the Dr Who fan in me :slight_smile:

You still had to include your first paragraph though. Even something you enjoy requires your barbs.

Anybody have any thoughts on the first three episodes from the new season of The Boys? Thought season 3 dropped off a bit in terms of quality, not sure if I’m fully convinced so far this season either. Still some hilariously OTT action sequences and deaths, the main plot line is interesting enough, feels like the side plots with Hughie, Kimiko and Frenchie are falling a bit flat though.

She said action movie. All those other examples were horror, fantasy, drama, animated, sci-fi, martial arts. And secondly if the studio had paid her more then she would have had time to read up on film history, rather than having to get a second job.

I’m losing the thread in this thread……

Nah, I’m with you most a lot of the time. Just ignore those other sexist bastards.

1 Like

im sorry i dont watch either Dr Who or HOTD (Assume its house of the Dragon?)

can i just ask becuase its not clear to me but if i try to follow your logic;

you dont like Dr Who because it is agenda driven, but you do like HOTD, which despite being a bit agenda driven its well done…

so if DrWho was done better, youd like it better, but its not done better because its focus is on an agenda, not the show itself?

im trying my best to understand why the agenda part really means so much to you, becuase if you pare it all back, its the fact its not written well that seems to be your issue, but you seem to lead all the time with whether its agenda driven or not…

why not just say its a shit show done poorly?

4 Likes

Because that really wouldn’t suit HIS agenda.

1 Like

It’s definitely a weird show. Last time I saw an episode of Dr Who it was Matt Smith as the lead and I was amazed by how bad the writing, set design, production etc was.

2 Likes

Think about it like this. The current Dr was not cast because he’s the best actor for the role. He was cast in order to make a point in the storylines of him personally. In accordance with the RTD’s quite obvious agenda. The storyline being scifi based is secondary to the Dr’s identity. Watch the Cos Play one again. When has the Dr ever acted like a horny teenager? He’s kissed a few girls but he’s never chased them.

I could never get into Dr Who, I like the idea, I just could not get over the cheap set vibe that I got from it. (and that was years ago when the all sets where cheap).

I also don’t like it when writers/producers/directors/studios unnaturally insert the flavour of the week just to diversify artistic work on the basis of sex,sexuality,race,disability,etc, or even worse just take an old “classic” and switch over 4 male characters, to 4 female characters, 1 female character to a male character in order to make a few bucks (Ghostbusters).

1 Like

Careful mate, that makes you an instant istaphobe.

is that fact or opinion about his hiring?