The TV Thread redux

Just a hunch, born out by the fact that RTD by his own admission is inserting his own personal life and experiences into the show. The second one was the absolute honking give away.

Never been tempted to watch Dr Who in all these years, so my opinion should not count - What is confusing to me though after reading the posts on here - If he is a Timelord, then surely the role canā€™t be played by a womanā€¦ or then they would have the title, Timeladyā€¦ Or not :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep, one of the many many complaints us dinosaurs come up with.

but is Timelord a title or is it the name of their species?

ie our species is human, but sub is split into sexes, so is the doctors species Timelord, or is Timelord their sex? If species, then it doesnā€™t matter, if sex, then you would be correct about Timelord/Timelady

3 Likes

I think it is hinted as being an aristocratic class. Obviously, it is all being dreamt up as they go along but he was just a mysterious traveller until 1966 when they had to swap the lead actor, and they gave him a species and home planet in 1969.

Since then they have added all sorts of lore which frankly just ties the writers in knots. Russell T Davis made the decision to kill them all off in 2005 and have the Doctor as ā€œLast of the Timelordsā€, which was a bold move and one that he should have stuck to.

1 Like

I really donā€™t have a problem with Gatwa as an actor or in the role. Heā€™s charismatic and brings a bit of life to the character.

Whether he is the best actor for the role is debatable. I suspect that a huge influence was that he played a character in another series who was very popular with the age group that they were trying to target. As I said earlier, itā€™s a family show, and to survive it has to grab the attention of a younger audience.

2 Likes

Anyway, not that this debate about a kids TV show isnā€™t fascinating but Iā€™ll try and move us onā€¦

The wife and I just finished Clarksonā€™s Farm, which is a great show. Extremely funny, cozy little watch. The relationship between the main characters - Jeremy, Kaleb, Charlie, Lisa and Gerald is the main draw as they all connect and bounce off each other so well.

Now weā€™re trying to find something new - weā€™re up to Season 8 of Greyā€™s Anatomy after watching the first 7 seasons years ago. I donā€™t know if its a change of writers or that Iā€™m paying more attention nlow but its cast is so hateable, theyā€™re all vile. Meredith is supposed to the lead character if the show and for the life of me I cannot remember her doing a single thing as a doctor. She just walks around. Its a good hate watch, something to laugh at while watching not take seriously.

The other show Iā€™m trying to steer us towards is Friday Night Lights, which I watched about 5 years ago. She was skeptical at first but we watched the first two last night and she likes it so at least Iā€™ll be able to drop in some FNL to break up the Greyā€™s when it gets too stupid.

1 Like

Just watched 73 Yards, really enjoyed that. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a ā€˜best everā€™ contender but it told an intriguing yarn with a bit of a spooky vibe.

We also caught up with the three recent specials - Iā€™d avoided them due to the internet backlash, but after watching The Devilā€™s Chord it felt like there was some important lore covered there.

Have to sayā€¦ was pleasantly surprised, given the furore over the episodes. Star Beast was 98% great, I did roll my eyes at the stuff right at the end (I actually think this is in large part due to Catherine Tate, who I cannot abide). Wild Blue Yonder was great and The Giggle was good too - NPH stole every scene he was in and I appreciated my favourite Doctor actually getting a lovely send-off this time (with the potential for future cameos).

Still maintain star babies was a bit of a duffer but otherwise Iā€™m enjoying this quasi-reboot a lot.

And does anyone have any clue why they dropped Ruby after this series? I think sheā€™s great, and did really well I thought in the episode which was basically entirely focused on her (which I understand was in large part due to Gatwaā€™s pre-existing filming commitments elsewhere).

1 Like

Not woke enough?

1 Like

I donā€™t think they have. She has been seen filming for the next series. Itā€™s possible that she has less involvement in some episodes if she has scheduling clashes as they did with Ncuti this year.

2 Likes

Ah, interesting, I just saw a headline a while back saying she wasnā€™t in S2, but good news if thatā€™s not the case

Yes, that was rumoured. They are having another companion (who may have made an appearance in this series) but she is still in it:

1 Like

Horseā€™s mouth

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1803845366183256178?s=46&t=OQ6N9bHrXqbJMKmFZJ79DA

1 Like

Sorry, which horse? I just did a quick search and could not find any reference to this guy anywhere other than this story.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/disney-not-hiring-white-males-explosive-video-of-business-vp-michael-giordano-prompts-boycott-calls/ar-BB1oB4gy

Notably, Project Veritas has faced a lot of flak for its deceptively edited videos and information-gathering techniques to attack mainstream media organizations.

James Oā€™Keefe first gained national attention in 2009 for his selectively edited video recordings of workers at Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) offices. He served as chairman until his dismissal from the organization in February 2023.

So twice in the same article they reference that he has a history of heavily editing videos for deceptive purposes including once which lead to him losing his job says a lot about how creditable the video should be taken

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m not taking anything from that guy as honest. From memory his previous videos includeā€¦

1. making a ā€œdocumentaryā€ where travelled to Minnesota to accuse Ihan Omar of being married to her cousin (she isnā€™t)
  2. Worked with white-nationalist Laura Loomer to ā€œproveā€ that Planned Parenthood is a demonic baby killing cult (they heavily edited the interactions with PP staff and cut out their own actions to which the staff were responding)
  3. Made a video where he went into a Comet Pizza - which at the time was the focus of ā€œPizza-gateā€ an online Q-Anon conspiracy that a chain of pizza restaurants where secretly fronts for a Democrat baby-eating cult and that if you go into their basement you would find tunnels filled with dead and eaten children. This conspiracy theory inspired a man to go and shoot an assault rifle into a Comet Pizza. In Oā€™Keefeā€™s video he sits in a Comet Pizza and talks to the camera about what he sees, declares it too scary to stay and starts crying. He also is extremely rude to the staff.

Oā€™Keefe is a far-right grifter. Iā€™m a bit concerned that heā€™s popping up on peopleā€™s timelines, although I expect thatā€™s because Elon Musk (also a far-right grifter) promoted this post.

Timbah on Toast has a very good series breaking down James Oā€™Keefe and Project Veritasā€¦

Worth watchuing before buying into any of their nonsense.

5 Likes

Caligulaā€™s

1 Like

This is the person Disney hired as chief creative office of Lucas Film.

1 Like

About 57 years ago.

Disney inherited him with the Lucas Film acquisition, but he was promoted into this lead role about 2 years ago. I donā€™t think he had any involvement in any of the Disney films, but with the exception of Andor, everything Disney has done with the Star Wars for TV has gone through him.

1 Like