The TV Thread redux

@anon27364116 Stellan Skarsgard’s scene at the end of the last episode…this is finally something that made me hang on the end of my seat desperate to see the next episode.

1 Like

Just signed up for Apple+ - the quality of shows on there looks excellent.

Started Ted Lasso first which is great. First episode of The Morning show was excellent too. Slow Horses will be another I watch, I absolutely love the books.

Severance and maybe Shantaram or The Mosquito coast after I finish all of the others. Any recommendations?

1 Like

I was a bit disappointed in Foundation, but that is because my expectations were so high and I know lots of people who loved it. Pachinko and Blackboird were highly rated but I haven’t got around to them yet. I havent actually seen that much on the service yet other than what you’ve mentioned, but there are two strong recommendations - Mythic Quest is great. They just launched the third season so will get around to that soonish. Secondly, the Afterparty is one of the most enjoyable things I’ve seen in ages.

2 Likes

Just found out that Happy Valley 3 is due next month.

Fantastic news!

2 Likes

1899 is finally out. After being desperate for it for months its here and I’ve been too busy with work and thanksgiving to get around to it, but the people I have turned on to it are loving it

1 Like

if you’re going to post inflammatory stuff like this at least have the decency to tag @Klopptimist

2 Likes

I saw a lot of negative comments about it on twitter earlier this week so will be interested to see how you get on with it.

I wonder how many of those are fans of Dark or even know about it?

3 Likes

Started Wednesday on Netflix. Two episodes in and enjoying it. Very much vintage Tim Burton.

1 Like

Andor is absolutely brilliant. It’s a show that goes in thirds- around 3 episodes per storyline, but incredibly coherent and it all gets tied together at the end. The show starts a bit slow but each episode is better than the last, i highly recommend it. I think it’s in its own stratosphere when it comes to star wars prequels and content and could be the best show of 2022. The last half of the episodes are great for those that lost interest along the way.

3 Likes

Is there anyone who has watched and enjoyed Andor but didn’t enjoy Rogue One? That’s the question for me, as I thought it was shit and that’s the main reason I’ve not bothered with the series.

I wasn’t that impressed by Rogue One. But that may be partly due to my preference for movies that are less dark. I’ve watched first episode of Andor and I’m not drawn in yet to the show. Perhaps that might kick in when I watch episode 2.

Was there anything you liked about it? Gilroy, the guy responsible for Andor, was the person they brought in to “fix” the film after it had already been filmed and tested. You can definitely see the throughline between the two, but this feels more like the film Gilroy would have made had been able to do it from the start rather than fix someone else’s.

I made the point earlier that it watches more like a film than a tv show and so probably lends itself to a long binge. You can argue that, but I think the first 3 were definitely made to be watched together, as you dont really get any natural end of episode pause until the end of that episode.

1 Like

We watched it over the Thanksgiving break. It’s not normally my thing, but I thought it was wonderful. Apparently they had to work hard to convince Jenna Ortega to take the role, and it was clearly well worth the effort.

2 Likes

We’re enjoying it, but it was a bit of a shock to sit down to watch it with the kids, who like the Addams Family films and other cartoons etc, to be confronted with a scene of a kid getting eviscerated on screen.

Apparently it’s rated TV-14 in the US, but we don’t have that classification here in the UK, where it’s rated as a 12. My 12-year-old didn’t enjoy that part, and although following episodes haven’t been as graphic we’ve been hovering hawk-like over the pause button throughout…

Fair point. Ortega’s reservation to taking the role was supposedly not wanting to do another young teen focused show, which I chuckled at when reading considering it didnt feel like it was targeting that age group, for a variety of reasons.

1 Like

I was surprised to read today that Police Squad only had 6 episodes? I remember watching these when they had a re-run in the 90’s and could have swore there were more episodes than that!. Brilliant show.

4 Likes

Definitely doesn’t feel it’s targeted for a teenage audience.

I’m surprised too. I’d have sworn that there were more than six. :nerd_face:

1 Like