The TV Thread redux

It was cancelled by the network because “people had to watch it to enjoy it”, proving that dumb network decisions aren’t only a modern phenomenon.

They did make the Naked Gun films as a result of the cancellation, though, so it wasn’t a complete loss.

4 Likes

I think the fact they made 3 Naked Gun films means that it felt that the original series was longer. Also there were various other spoofs with Leslie Nielsen so it gives the impression of a much larger body of work.

2 Likes

Yes, for sure. The Red Rock commercials also point, imo, to the show being popular even at the time.

I still think of “it’s less gassy, with no strong aftertaste” every time I hear the brandname :laughing:

1 Like

I knew there wasn’t many but thought it closer to 12, which still isn’t many.

I feel the same about Bagpuss and Mr Benn whuch seemed to last my entire childhood.

3 Likes

Me and my student mates used to watch Police Squad, Barney Miller and Soap after the pub in the early eighties. They seemed brilliant, but we were young and drunk.

My Army days, pre marriage, me and my mate after the pub used to always have a Blackadder fest.
Dr Johnsons diary, “I’m anaspeptic , frasmotic , even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulations” :joy:

1 Like

Agreed. Andor gets going at Ep3 and just gets better. Andy Serkis is superb. The most starwarsy of all these series. I preferred Mando but this was still very good. Regarding Rogue 1, saw it drunk when it came out and just remember it being reasonable.

Pendejestatory interluditries?

1 Like
2 Likes

Now that’s certainly an advert for not publishing your own videos on the net.

I’ve watched 5 episodes so far - it certainly is ‘Dark’, if not darker (everyone’s miserable/desperate and so is the setting)… Not sure if I like it more than Dark, but so far I’m not disappointed. Somewhat very similar, but with other genre stuff mixed in, weirdly reminds me of other movies at times, but still very original. Production and cast is excellent all around. The various language approach is kinda interesting as well.

3 Likes

We watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it and quite intrigued. I got major vibes of Titanic meets Alien although no idea where it’s heading.

I’m not sure what the default language is meant to be. We just went with Original with English subtitles although we can understand the German as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I see what you mean - at times there are a bit Shutter Island and even The Shining vibes there as well…but maybe that’s just me. The latter might be just because every time I see a lot of shots of room numbers on doors in empty hallways I think of the Shining…

You had me at “Dark”.

1 Like

A spot on impression with lines that Matt Berry would definitely write?

Nah, it’s brilliant.

3 Likes

I’m only 1 episode in, but so far it is inescapable that it’s the same people. It helps to have the Stranger version of Jonas as a main character, but the tone, the atmospheric music, and the overall “WTF is happening?” is all as reminiscent as Dark fans would have hoped for.

1 Like

Just discovered Matt Berry. Really not my cup of tea.

You haven’t seen ‘What We Do In The Shadows’?

or ‘The IT Crowd’?

6 Likes

One of the greatest comedies. Pure genius.

1 Like

bbc fandango GIF