The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Steve McMahon and Nick Barmby both played for everton and then liverpool.
Peter Beardsley,Gary Ablett and Dave Johnson played for liverpool and then everton.

They should be judged on how they performed and carried themselves while with us.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve said it with Diaz, he has all the qualities, but for some reason, our play feels disjointed when heā€™s in the side.

I do like Gordon a lot. His Everton past doesnā€™t bother me. He supports us, has pace, work rate in the defensive phase, has shown he can improve, and he still has levels to go IMO. Maybe his main stats donā€™t stand out, but itā€™s his attributes that do. He can play across the front 3 positions, so itā€™s not necessarily a given that heā€™s replacing Diaz. The versatility across our front line with Gakpo and Jota, and you add in Gordon, would give Slot a boner.

Anyone reckon we try to add a midfielder into the mix to head the other way?

2 Likes

And a Tom Daleyā€¦

Bah.

You take all the fun out of taking the piss outta the bluesite

1 Like

Thereā€™s plenty more ways to take the piss out of them.They never stop giving up opportunities to slag them off.

This is a very interesting question. If it is true that they wanted Quansah and we held firm, we might possibly have a midfielder to spare. The case for letting one go strengthens further if we are looking to bring in a top class defensive midfielder. We will have too many on the books, but it almost feels wrong to suggest which one I would let Newcastle have, even hypothetically!

If they are selling Guimares, they need a tackler in there, so I would let Endo go. They might also like Clark, if they want a young midfielder. I think his dad played for them too.

Arguably Elliott might come into the mix, as Slot might see him as not quite the winger he wants, and not quite the midfielder he needs, even if he is a very good player. He might be caught between two stalls, slightly.

As for Gordon, I donā€™t like him because he is a diver. He has a habit of clicking his heels together and going over, and a lot of the free kicks and penalties he gets will not be given to him if he is wearing a Liverpool shirt.

Still, I can see his pace and directness, and he can stick it in the net too, so Iā€™m not altogether against the idea. Itā€™s fair to say he also likely has more improvement to come.

1 Like

I doubt that is going to be a factor in this first window, if at all. Slot has a reputation for taking players and coaching them. Elliott is someone who at the very least offers something from the bench or as a rotation player.

1 Like

Not totally against the idea of Gordon. Heā€™s perhaps not as flashy as Diaz but I think his output is perhaps more reliable with room to grow whereas Diaz we know what weā€™ll likely get out of him. Heā€™s also lightening quick which is never a bad thing.

The Everton element is a non-starter for me. They hate him more than anyone so Iā€™d be willing to chuck an extra Ā£5m in just for the fume come Derby day when he dives to win us a penalty. And on the diving, letā€™s be honest here, our players are not immune from exaggerating or looking for contact. Hate it when it happens against us, turn a blind eye when ours do the same.

Saying all that, Iā€™d only be considering it under three conditions. One, Diaz has made it clear he wants a move. Two, weā€™re getting silly money from whoever Diaz is going to. And three, weā€™re getting Gordon below market value because Newcastle are bent over a barrell.

4 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to know where he got his stats from because fbref has Gordon at 38% for take on completion. I think Bence is using successful progressive carries, which is expected that it would be high for a speed merchant.

He has no weapons to use in beating a player. Its knock the ball and run. That works in a Newcastle team that most teams will not sit deep against, against Liverpool there is very little room to do that consistently.

A lot is also made of Gordonā€™s goal return this season but as Iā€™ve said before heā€™s got lucky a binch of times. Just watch his goals back and see how many times it bounces off someone and he taps it in from 6 yards, or the goalkeeper lets a pea roller go in that should have been saved.

We made the right decision when he was a kid, and thatā€™s not even mentioning his personality :face_vomiting: literally the kind of player that would make me enjoy watching Liverpool less. And lets not also forgot that in 2022/2023, when Newcastle were good and teams did sit back, he had a rotten goalscoring and assist record while having a 27% successful take on record, one of the very worst in Europe. No space in behind and he may as well not exist.

A lot less confident in the Michael Edwards future if this is really the direction we go in.

6 Likes

I donā€™t see how Gordon is a good idea. Even if Diaz were to leave, we still have plenty of boys that can play on the left. Gakpo is once again thriving there at the Euros. Jota can obviously play there, as can Nunez. If weā€™re looking at an attacker, it has to be someone for the right side.

2 Likes

Just thinking out loud, but if Newcastle want a defender, why not offer Sepp VdB as part of the deal?

Wish theyā€™d just sell Gordon to Barca and solve our Diaz issue (if there is one).

2 Likes

Not sure Iā€™d agree with this. Perhaps:

VVD - Still excellent, but unlikely to be able to play 50 games a season much longer
Konate - Very Strong but injury prone.
Quansah - An exciting prospect.
Gomez - Good squad cover

Really think we have loads of room for a really top quality CB or perhaps even 2 with one being a prospect if JoGo doesnā€™t want to stay.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Now go to the introduction thread and pay your tributes to the elders. :blush:

1 Like

Please Sir, can you point me in the right direction?

1 Like

@Ross asking @Iftikhar for direction is no way to get through life.

9 Likes

Rookie mistake. Have mercy on him.

1 Like

Please kind Sirs tell me how I can ā€˜pay tributeā€™ to my ā€˜eldersā€™?

2 Likes

Sadly asking me for direction is also no way to get through life.

@Iftikhar help the gentleman, will you. I couldnā€™t find the new users thread because my eyes are red with anger at Sharma.

1 Like

Go to the temples of @SBYM, if you arenā€™t smitten down, you will pass.

3 Likes