The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

I will be honest in that I have never seen him play, his profile. More importantly, no one knows how he will adapt, how much game time he will get.

For your first comment (although overlaps with your second), if Utd. Or another club believe he (or another player) is that good and is going to be an important player from the off and delivers on that then I don’t see the downside. Every transfer is a gamble and more likely than not, players will want to move onto pastures new at some point. Who knows what his mindset maybe in a couple of seasons.

So, regarding your second point, I completely agree. If he is not good enough to contribute from day one, winds down his contract, turns out to be a complete flop then £60m is a lot of money, especially, when it could be allocated towards a first team player. I guess we will wait and see, :crossed_fingers:t2:it burns them.

1 Like

Ugarte to united. I remember there was a thread here on him at one point

We love a combative DM who isn’t actually that good. There was a lot of gnashing of teeth when he signed for PSG, but then largely disappointed there and was rarely trusted in big games. At his best he’s probably better in that role than anyone Utd has now in the their current state, and I guess there is the possibility that PSG was just a bad move for him and he is a better player than he showed there, but I wouldn’t be too bothered about it if it happens.

5 Likes

A bullet dodged, it seems. Not only apparently demanding astronomical wages but also seems to think that at 18 he should be guaranteed a first team start.

Lille threatened not to play French defender Leny Yoro, 18, in the final year of his contract if he did not agree to sign for Manchester United. (Marca - in Spanish), external

Liverpool cooled their interest in Yoro after his demands for guaranteed game time at Anfield. (Athletic - subscription required)

It looks like we’ll have to splash the cash if we’re really interested in Guehi. Given that he made the team of the tournament perhaps he is worth it.
Arsenal look set to end their interest in England defender Marc Guehi with Crystal Palace demanding more than £70m for the 24-year-old England international. (Mirror)

One of the challenges of a data led approach is you need enough data to be confident in what the model tell you. It’s not black and white, but 100 games is the threshold that has been reported that we feel we need for the model to give us good information on a player. Any less than that (significantly fewer) and we may still take a punt on someone if their stats are astronomical (where you can afford some regression towards the mean with more data input and the results still be good), he passes the eye test, and he’s cheap. But for a player who has played just 60 games getting to a point where his club demanded 70m and he wanted 160k a week? It was never going to happen at that point no matter how much our traditional scouts might have liked him.

2 Likes

https://x.com/Squawka/status/1813574081327067490

1 Like

Why compare him with Quanso anyway? Comparisons with Sepp would make more sense imo.

1 Like

Wasnt Jeremie Frimpong release clause around 35 million? Very good player. Put him in RB and push Trent into midfield.

He isnt very good. He is decent. Not sure what is fee will be - i guess it will be minimum 50 million. He isnt that big an upgrade compared to McTominay - may be the European version of McTominay.

I agree. If we had signed him then we’d be looking at all the positives and upside of spending that kind of money on a 18 year old ‘future generation talent.’

I’d rather keep the cash for another position and use Bradley if Trent moves into midfield.

3 Likes

I’d rather not move Trent into midfield.

10 Likes

Im guessing you are making that point off the back of the England games. The games where Trent had to adapt to a game plan from the idiot Southgate and be scapegoated massively. In those games statistically he was better than the 105m Rice he was down right appalling but is a media darling.

2 Likes

i think Trent will end up at RM -the club have probably already been informed by his agent.
I dont blame him hes won everything here. He might feel its time for a new challenge especially as Klopps gone.
The club are massively at fault for allowing his deal to run down so they cant moan about it.

3 Likes

You’re guessing incorrectly. I don’t base any of my opinions on just a couple of games.

1 Like

The problem with this analysis is that Liverpool have a track record at being very good at signing players and United have a track record of being very poor.

Leny Yoro is obviously on a pathway to being a very good footballer, but the question is whether he is worth the £60m United paid for him.

I think the fact that the club with a track record of getting transfers right thought he wasn’t, shouldn’t be expecting guaranteed first team football at 18 years old, and had his heart set elsewhere, speaks volumes.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is true.

There are big issues around the club - the departure of Klopp and the search for a new manager - that make it almost impossible to have been engaged in contract negations on the usual timescale for Trent.

It’s one of those things. Sometimes circumstances take over.

3 Likes

If Trent, or more his positional place in the side, is a problem that can’t be resolved 100% - What is to stop Slotty from moving him on… It would be similar in adjusting to him being unavailable long term etc
We have no idea what, or how, Slot thinks about the players, the tactics he will employ, or the vision he has for his sides at this point… If I was TAA, and I wanted to stay at LFC, get a contract signed ASAP

3 Likes

I’d base it off the fact that Klopp is a vastly superior manager to Southgate and worked with Trent every single day of his senior club career and he played him at right back 99.9% of the time with great success.

If Klopp doesn’t think he’s a midfielder I don’t see why anyone else would.

1 Like