The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Klopp informed the club in November. They had the entire summer prior to that to renew both TAA and Van Dijk.

Yes, because VVD and TAA were going to sign whatever the club offered them despite not knowing who the new manager would be or leading the recruitment side of club, or where the club would end the season.

3 Likes

Why would either renew without clarity on what the next era looks like?

2 Likes

Van Dijk and TAA had no idea that Klopp was leaving then. No one did, not even Klopp himself.

On hold.

Change over in structure = change in how things get done and when.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s been agreed in principle between Hughes & Arne for the latter to have the chance to work his all the players before assessing what needs to be done. Sounded to me like a dead giveaway when the pair were giving their first presser.

Make sure you’ve kept the 31st August clear in your calendar Vinny boy, gon’ be a busy day for you.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is quite true. Klopp would have spoken to the club well before November of his thoughts around his situation. It’s not unreasonable to think some of the players may have thought that Klopp leaving at the end of the season was a distinct possibility.

Given the season they had just had and finishing outside of the league, and all the rumours around FSG’s ownership of the club, there was more than enough things that could lead to a play pausing on a deal for another 6-12 months to see how things played out.

Seen someone on twitter reacting to the Athletic saying the Williams and Koumetio might leave by saying “we’re gonna have about 3 players left” and while twitter is daft and full of the dumbest opinions imaginable I think some people really don’t realise just how big(bloated) our squad is.
Wouldn’t surprise me if we need to move lads on before we sign new ones, not necessarily for funds but for space.
And it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting to do that until more of the squad are back training so that we have enough lads to actually run drills and play matches in the immediate future. Definitely a summer where patience is needed.

4 Likes

Klopp said he informed the club in November. He also stated numerous times that he was determined to get the team back to its best before he left. I don’t think that he had prior talks with the club prior to then, even if he was starting to feel drained before that.

As for the club, finishing out of the top 4 should have been an even bigger incentive to secure two of its best players.

As far as I can tell, we dropped the ball.

Anyone complaining about Williams or Koumetio leaving is just a habitual moaner.

7 Likes

Patience.

1 Like

Is not at home in this thread.

It’s all about panic, nerves, wild mood swings and outrageous stories.

2 Likes

hard to believe they are virtually the same height yet Yoro is nearly 10kg heavier… surely this isnt right?

2 Likes

They could have used an old source for the data (Sepp was a pretty scrawny teen), this site for the Bundesliga has him at 87kg:

He’s also over an inch taller :joy:

4 Likes

if they cant get basic facts like height and weight right, how much stock can we put into there ‘average carries forward per game’?

Those will be from somewhere like Opta, but especially with young players I’ve noticed in the past that the data for height and weight can become quickly outdated - like the official website will still display the figures from when they were a young teen when they’re now in their early 20s. Places like wiki tend to be the same (possibly sourcing the data from a supposedly reputable source like the club website).

I can remember a few years back Trent being listed everywhere as being 5’9 and I could plainly see he was as tall as some of the known 6-footers on the squad…

I don’t know why the club - or at least certainly used to - updates their player stats so infrequently, it’s up to them to weigh and measure the players. I’m guessing we only got these new stats for Sepp because he went out on loan last season and presumably Mainz weighed and measured him.

3 Likes

Why did this thread turn into “United getting Yoro isn’t that great”?

:joy:

1 Like

The Unreliable Rival Signings Discussion Thread

To flip this around, had we signed Yoro for £60m (which would be our fifth biggest fee of all time) and understood that we’d had to agree to guaranteed first team football, despite him profiling worse than than the centre backs we already have, I would have been really concerned.

We clearly saw him as one for the future, that was our interest. As soon it became clear he saw himself as very much one for now, we backed out.

3 Likes

Utd didn’t have to do this either. No negotiations EVER go like that despite that fact journos love reporting it.

When you are a emerging player and in discussions of moving to a big club you want to know whether you’re going to be seen as a today player or a project player. If you want to play you are going to want to hear the former, and saying you wont sign for a club that requires you to take a step back in your development is not the same as demanding to play in the first game and every game. And anyone who demanded that would be laughed out of a negotiation.

2 Likes