The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

In a similar way that we were linked with every German under Klopp.

2 Likes

Yes. Still can’t believe it didn’t work out in the end for me. Ageism, I assume. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

No one can guarantee that he’d be a hit in Real Madrid, especially if we’re judging him on the form of last two seasons. Carvajal is getting old but would Trent displace him at this moment? Not for me, not for what Carvajal brings to the table. Madrid press and fans would eat Trent alive if he carried over that form to their side.

I hope he extends his contract and rediscovers the form that made him one of the best players on the planet. I’m tired of these inverting experiments, just let him be a right back or let him be a midfielder, whatever position gets the most out of him.

3 Likes

Your “I’m only coming for first team football” is precisely what Yoro is likely to have said. That is not the same as the “guarantee to play” trope the press are so fond of using as they did in this story.

1 Like

What? Because Southgate threw him under a bus?

2 Likes

Was in Boston the summer preseason match he made his debut, and first thing I said to wifey when I saw him was that he was as tall, if not taller than Klopp. That was when he was 17.

2 Likes

Can’t see Trent being anything other than a full back at Real Madrid if he were to go. Their midfield is stacked. If he could settle there, which i think he could, he might be very very good there.

He will extend here though, whether Slot sticks him at midfield or in an attacking defensive role

1 Like

No. It’s because Klopp laughed at Southgate for playing him there in the first place.

1 Like

He questioned why he played him as an 8 when if he was going to be used in midfield it should be as a 6.

2 Likes

“Trent could play in midfield, I would rather he was the six than in this case the eight," said Klopp. "That is possible but why would you make the best right-back in the world a midfielder? I don’t understand that really.”

The full quote makes Klopp’s feelings pretty clear. And he’s had hundreds of opportunities to play Trent in midfield and you can count on the fingers of one hand how many times he’s done it. Should tell us all we need to know.

2 Likes

I mean I don’t want to get into pissing match, but that quote is exactly what I said.

2 Likes

Trent Thread :point_right:t4:

True but also amitting quite an important follow up.

Irrespective of what was said, where Trent has played 99.9% of his games under Klopp tells you whether he thinks he’s a RB or midfielder.

So to bring it back to rumours, what happened to all those links to Andre from last summer? Was expecting him to be highly sought after by clubs this summer. Fulham certainly seemed keen last year had Palhinha left but even with him now gone there hasn’t been much sign of them reviving their interest.

What we can definitively say is that Klopp didn’t see Trent as a midfielder, or else he would have deployed him there.

What we don’t know is how Slot will see it.

Above that, the biggest question mark is over the contract situation, and whether he will stay or go.

1 Like

I haven’t paid much attention since the window shut on him last season, but I find it interesting that he has not had much success for Brazil under Dorival. Brazilian managers tend to respond to situations he was in by drafting in young players still playing in Brazil they can all up to raise spirits of the fans, and he was still overlooked despite the European contingent he called on being a bit uninspiring and/or underperforming.

1 Like

Klopp most certainly used Trent as a midfielder.

Don’t limit your thinking by the team sheet that Sky put up before every match. Most elite managers don’t think it terms of formations (Slot spoke about this in his interviews) but zones on the pitch and responsibilities.

In his later seasons Klopp had Trent starting as a full back, but moving into Midfield to dictate play.

2 Likes

To underline the point…

1 Like

Still doing an awful lot in that right back zone too though. And given we then didn’t select another defender would suggest he was our primary defensive player on the right hand side.

And let’s be honest, he was far more effective as an attacking and creative force earlier in his career when he played in a more traditional attacking fullback role instead of whatever he was doing last season. If anything I think some of our disjointedness came from him floating about in places where our actual midfielders wanted to be. Certainly didn’t add to our defensive stability through the middle.

I reckon we just buy an actual midfielder if it’s felt we need one and have Trent go back to doing what he was best at.

1 Like

Almost all of their signings since Hazard and Jovic have been a success. That’s what happens when joining a well oiled machine.

I’d say the football in Spain and how opponents play against Real would suit Trent (with his problems when he has to defend) much more than in the PL.

Yes Carvajal has been great but will be 33 and out of contract next summer.

Also a big possibility that Xabi will take over in 2025. That’s one of the few people who should be able to get the very best out of Trent’s strengths.

2 Likes

Trent has never been a ‘right back’ in the conventional sense and that’s a huge reason for the unfair stick he gets.

Yes, the graphic on Sky/BT/MOTD puts him to the right of whoever is playing centre back, but we all know that only a small part of the picture.

He has always played the role unlike anyone who has gone before him. Even before any of us had heard of the term ‘inverting the fullback’ Trent was playing on the right of an attacking onslaught with midfielders dropping in to cover his foray’s forward. He was always far more right wing than right back.

Nobheads like Gary Neville, who for egotistically demented reasons has always seemed to view Trent’s interpretation of the right back role as a personal slight on his career, expect Trent to be the generational attacking force, while also being a kind of defensive first right back which has never been his game, and he’s never been asked to make it his game.

To bring this back to transfers, it’s why I half expect him to go now. Nothing to do with Liverpool, but Christ, imagine having to deal with this continually. Kyle Walker is allowed to make mistake after mistake, but he is never subject to the absurd, and frankly personal, scrutiny that Trent gets.

Go and play with his best mate, in the sun, win loads of trophies and not have Gary Neville going ‘Oooooooooh’ every time a winger beats him?

7 Likes