The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

I would actually be surprised if it was Kudus. The numbers relative to transfer fee don’t really indicate a good purchase and Slot probably wouldn’t have any particular strong feelings about him (probably knows him as much as other targets that might be suggested so wouldn’t push).

Wouldn’t be surprised if we did something out of left field like sign Edon Zhegrova (low cost, high upside).

1 Like

Never heard of him, but he sounds like a Bond villain.

4 Likes

Scored 11 goals. 7 of them against ‘bigger’ clubs. That’s when Newcastle sitting deep and he has space for the counter. But why does he not tear apart ‘smaller’ teams? Maybe struggling when teams sit deep and Newcastle has more of the ball.

Thank god most teams in the league play attacking football against us :dotted_line_face:

I’m calling it now. Going to be a massive flop if it happens.

Last time I has this gut feeling about a possible transfer was before we signed Thiago.

2 Likes

Is Delaney suggesting we might sign 2 wide players? That surely means a departure up front i.e. Diaz? Perhaps the club aren’t sure, or they do know, and that’s why the Gordon rumours aren’t going away.

I just have a feeling about Chiesa. Available on a cut-price deal. If it doesn’t work out, we’d probably make our money back anyway, or close to it. Approaching his prime years, and wouldn’t necessarily block Doak’s or Kaide Gordon’s pathway long term.

18 months - he signed 3.5 year deal when he moved

I don’t think Gordon is shite. But he has not shown why he was worth the money that Newcastle paid for him, if he had, he would have set the platform very well for even bigger clubs to move for him but he just was not great.

That’s the one I was reminded of. He was obviously a major talent, but his injury record bothered me and I couldn’t see where he was supposed to improve us. It seemed clear to me that it was Bayern that were pushing the transfer as if it was us, it wouldn’t have been all over the media.

I was surprised that @Mascot said that we are the only forum that is against it. I’ve seen lots of comments that are questioning his value. Now it could be that the player is pushing for this move but it does strike me that Newcastle seem more than happy about it.

If he is such a talent and star player, why are Newcastle so keen on the deal?

If he does sign, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong about him, but I do think this is not in our interest. I can only hope that the backroom boys at the club can see something in him that I have missed.

He’s obviously decent (not £75m decent though) but the thing for me is he’s a cheating little fucker. Obviously if he becomes our cheating little fucker then that’s a whole different kettle of fish. Why would we even want him though when we are already overstocked in that position ?

3 Likes

He’s someone I have a hard time just watching play.

He does my head in the way he throws himself to the ground anytime someone goes near him. I’ve switched off Newcastle games because I can’t stand it so much.

Don’t give a single fuck if he’s a Liverpool fan, tbh.

14 Likes

Half of Gordon’s price is because he is English.

1 Like

Speaking of wrong reasons why to sign a player.

The homegrown quota is massively overrated. All clubs have enough academy players to get around it.

Players should not be more expensive or are not worth more because they’re English.

Time for this bullshit to stop.

2 Likes

Didn’t Mo get a fair bit of criticism early on for us for going down a bit to early when in the box

I don’t think the two are comparable.

3 Likes

If you are criticising a player who goes down without being touched,or too easily ,should it matter who he plays for?

yeah, im not so sure on that…

if he was just an agent, id agree…but hes not, its his father and there can be some…strange…dynamics…

2 Likes

I must’ve seen about 6923 different tweets on Gordon in the last few weeks, for that alone it’s a big fat fucking no from me.

Gordon looks to me the classic looks good at lower level clubs, will struggle at the big clubs. Kind of like Grealish going to City, and then not playing much, and i think Grealish is much more talented footballer than Gordon is.

Probably not the best example, but i haven’t had my morning coffee yet. Leave Gordon to look good playing for mid table clubs, not sure he’s destined for the top.

1 Like

Its not comparable because the criticism of Salah was unfair.

Let me know when Salah does this.

3 Likes

A better example might have been Jota. He dives a fair bit.

Assuming Carvalho is sold, Slot has Diaz, Jota and Gakpo at his disposal for the left wing role. Does this team really need another (right-footed) left winger?

To be honest, I’m more worried about Nunez not fulfilling our expectations and not having any natural competition for centre forward role (unless Slot suddenly turns Danns into a world beater).

Also, the small matter of Salah entering the final year of his contract and being on the wrong side of 32 years of age, and Doak still being inexperienced and recovering from a difficult injury.

I genuinely don’t understand why this new hierarchy would pursue Gordon deal instead of dealing with players already on club’s books and trying to balance the unbalanced squad. We don’t know if Van Dijk, Trent, Salah and Van Den Berg will be extending. We don’t know if Gomez, Tsimikas and Endo will be sold. We have a glaring hole in DM position that will be filled only if club pluck out a world beater or Bajčetić miraculously becomes one after not playing for a year. There are too many central midfielders in our squad.

If Hughes’ solution to all of that is to sign Gordon and sell Gomez, then I’m massively worried that we haven’t learned anything from the past two years.

3 Likes