The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Lad certainly hasn’t done himself any harm this pre-season but can’t help but think he’s in the shop window whilst others are still on their holidays more than looking at securing a long term place in the squad.

£15m is a joke of an offer though. Summerville to West Ham should be the benchmark.

https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1819999785308320135

1 Like

Think I read some comments from him about how Slot has been working on his defensive game. Not sure what the incentive for that would be if we’re just looking to sell him off.

2 Likes

Fair point.

The ideal scenario for him might be Diaz moving on, we invest in a right sider instead and he stays as an option on the left. Otherwise I’m not sure how much game time he’ll actually see.

Think selling the young fella would be a mistake,if we did,and he proceeds to develop as it looks he may,we might well be thinking what the fuck!
If of course,he doesn’t get the game time,all bets are off.

I believe it would be crazy to sell Carvalho.

We’ve been looking for someone clinical and when it appears we have one… we are going to let him go easily??? Last year, for long stretches, we were crying for a goal.

He scored a couple for us in very limited PL minutes so the signs that his scoring translates to PL-level defenses is good.

Right now, I’m more of the opinion that if he keeps it up versus Sevilla that he should be starting the opener. Let’s choose guys on merit.

4 Likes

Carvalho is one of those funny ones. Scared to let him go as he might develop to be a star but then not sure he will make it. Could disappear after a move. Ben Woodburn?

But in balance if he was that good he could have got the same game time as Elliot.

1 Like

Caravalho is tidy but if we were to sell him hes better than Southampton who will likely be facing a relegation battle this season.

If Carvalho thinks he has the talent as a starter, and LFC think he is a squad rotation at most, then-therein-lies-the-rub. An unhappy player is an unsettled player with itchy feet. Might solely come down to the lad making the ultimate decision, based upon his own belief, and future ambitions.

1 Like

Strange one for sure , a youngster who has played limited games for us but scores goals …and then we have Nunez plays all the time but misses shitloads but some think he may come good if given more time.

1 Like

I’d rather we played Carvalho at LW than buy Gordon, personally.

16 Likes

Carvalho is better down the center.

He’s going to get plenty of minutes this season.

He might be better there but Slot seems to think that left wing is his best role. If I was Carvalho, I’d listen to Slot. You can’t always get what you want but sometimes you can get what you need, right…

For me, I think that the best decision would be to let the lad play on loan in a carefully selected team and then make a permanent decision on his future next summer. I think he’s some way off being ready for Liverpool but a productive loan at a midtable club could set him on track to become a first team player at Liverpool, especially if Diaz is sold. The powers that be at the club want the player to have like 120 first team games under his belt before he’s considered for a first team role anyway…

2 Likes

He’s got an elegance about him which even the likes of Jota/Diaz/Gakpo/Harvey don’t have. I don’t know if it’s his body shape and the way he runs. His touch and turn are a delight to watch and he can finish pretty well too.

He gets fouled a lot and I like the way he draws some of them. Noticed a real desire from him to track back which wasn’t quite there the last time we saw him.

The question mark over him is the same one a lot of our squad players especially young players face, how do they force their way into getting the playing time they’d be happy with.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Carvalho is also a year younger than Gordon.

It’s a tricky one. Carvalho is definitely a good player, but he straddles the space between squad man/rotation option and starter material.

If he stays I’d be fine with that. If he goes, it should be for a much better fee than Southampton are offering.

He has already had a couple of loan moves, and I’m not fully sure that’s the best option at this point. There’s a sense that he is in the shop window, and if he is sold, we need to get a sell on clause, and a buy-back option, as it would not be a complete surprise if he proved to be a very valuable player with more Premier League experience.

1 Like

He comes across as a Coutinho type of a player. The problem now is that there are quite a lot of players like him around.

My opinion is that you either build a team around him, to synergise with his skill set or sell him.

1 Like

It’s all down to Slot’s vision for the team, but I would sell too. With some regret, mind, as the lad can play.

The price has to be right though. He looks a 40M+ player but since he hasn’t played too much Premier League football, I would accept 25M with a 20% sell on clause.

1 Like

I’m not sure he has enough 1st team outings to justify that but you never know. My feeling is he goes for around 20M maybe even slightly less…

IMO, we would only have ourselves to blame if we still struggle to score goals afterwards.

Would think about moving Diaz on before Carvalho to be honest. End product is what we lack most in our group of forwards.

1 Like