The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Agreed - that’s why I said I’d accept 25M plus a sell on!

The quality is 40M but he hasn’t seen enough Prem action that would prompt someone to pay that, I don’t think, so 25M plus a sell on and/or buy back, in case he explodes.

1 Like

Not sure that’ll happen but suppose that clears up his future since we don’t push players out who are still under contract.

https://x.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1820101435431797187

4 Likes

Think there’s a case for Gomez to be playing as a backup DM as well. If he stays fit , there’s going to be quite some minutes for him across the defensive line.

Premier league level talent. Homegrown as well too.

Liverpool can play him reasonably for half a season and still get much more.

He’s easily a 40-45m player

I prefer the benchmark of the injured guy they sold to Chelsea, while using us as a negotiating tactic.

I think that is unlikely. In Klopp’s side almost all of the game in that position was facing the opponent’s goal. It’s a much simpler role than what we’re seeing Slot wants from him deeper midfielders. The same is likely to be true for Trent, as that ability to find space and receive the ball on the half turn is not something he’s ever had to do before either

1 Like

He’s not going to be a starter as a DM. Liverpool play plenty of cup matches and there will be games where he can be brought on to see off the minutes as well.

As far as Trent goes , his position in the side needs to be decided.

I’m not sure he’s quick enough to play the overlapping fullback role as well. His pace was never his strength.

How slot sees him going forward will be interesting.

I don’t really see him solving our goal scoring issues. Carvalho picked up a couple goals in his limited first teams minutes but did nothing in Germany. He’s shown good returns at Championship level but mostly from a much more central positions than Diaz plays for us.

We’ve yet to really know what he can do from the left of a front three or whether Slot would pick him ahead of others if we use more of a number 10 role.

Personally I wouldn’t be chasing Diaz out the door thinking Carvalho could slot in an improve on Diaz’s goal output right away. If Diaz pushed for a move I’d be happy to keep Carvalho as an option for the left with Gakpo and Jota and Nunez also able to do bits out there. But if Diaz stays, I don’t see Carvalho getting much of a look in.

1 Like

Slot might try TAA on the left side of the team, full-back or midfield. If he getting beaten too easy by wingers on his good side, what is there to lose… However, every time he checks inside, the ball will be onto his good foot to ping it forward…! :0)
He does remain a puzzle to be solved in that team though

1 Like

Carvalho doesn’t need to start every week, he’s 21. He still has development to go before establishing himself as a starter here but he’s undoubtedly extremely talented.

I wouldn’t be letting him go anywhere. Nithing wring with getting the occasional start and getting as a substitute when you’re a 21 year old attacker at Liverpool.

Also for all the talk of the number of attackers we have, wasn’t there a spell at one point last season when we literally couldn’t find 3 fit attackers to get on the pitch?

10 Likes

There’s an odd mindset where we have to have a first 11, and the rest are just bench players who will get like 5 minutes total all season. He probably won’t get as many minutes as he might get in another Premier League or Championship team where he would be a regular starter, but to think that he won’t have at least 1000+ minutes if he isn’t injured is a little myopic. We’re looking at a minimum of 48 games this season even if we’re absolutely shite and don’t progress in any of the cups.

It’s not just attackers either, it’s virtually every position on the pitch.

3 Likes

It’s not so much “first 11” but for that wide left role we’ve got Gakpo and Diaz. Nunez and Jota can also both play there. The competition is deep for someone who is relatively inexperienced at the top level, let alone established.

If he wants to play some kind of role, week in week out, or even hit 1,000 minutes he’s likely not getting that without some departures or serious injuries.

Ultimately these best thing for the club would be to have a better balance of options on both the left and right side of the forward line.

I don’t know how realistic it is but I am also hoping that Salah’s position as “starts every game” is winding down a bit. I think the last few seasons he has looked gassed by the run in, I’d love to be able to rest him a bit more and have a fresh-ish Salah for the end of the season.

9 Likes

Arne has a reputation for running his wingers really hard and heavily rotating them so I would imagine Mo will either play fewer games or reduce the minutes in each one he plays.

2 Likes

In my current FM save, he went to West Ham for 38M in the summer window in 2028, so going by that, I think a current valuation of 50M is fair

2 Likes

https://x.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1820141579606126701

4 Likes

Mariano is apparently top tier for Lanus, says if 15 mil is offered the deal will go through

5 Likes

Any workpermit issues ?

1 Like

Bottom line regards Carvalho… if by statistics alone, he is scoring on average, every 120mins or so, the guy has to be considered before some of the others IMO - If scoring becomes his ace card, play him where it pays off - It really does come down to the lad himself, taking his chances, and seeing the competition off…
I worry for Curtis out of the guys on show. He doesn’t have the full backing of the crowd; for whatever reasons they are; and unlike TAA, his path to greatness, and automatic choice, has been somewhat littered with false starts and disruptions that can really mess with the confidence side of his game. He is not a youngster in the true sense of the word, he needs better luck with injuries, and he most definitely needs to put down a marker, each and every time he plays… otherwise, I can envisage, an Aston Villa, Wolves or Fulham type of career awaits him…!

2 Likes