The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

That was precisely my point. If Lavia and Caicedo aren’t the same type of player that Zubimendi is, then it implies that we filled the need for the former with Endo (and probably Bajcetic for the longer term), and that Zubimendi was perhaps a separate need we’re looking to fill or a situation where we learned that a good player was available and sought to seize the opportunity.

None of which leaves us with massive holes.

1 Like

We can go on and on, but with Slot replacing Klopp, our need has changed. We wanted something, we didn’t get it. Again.

2 Likes

Just want to say it is unfair to put past failures on to the current recruitment team.

It’s a new day!

Judge Hughes and co on what they do, not on what their predecessors did.

At that point it is early days. Missing out on Zubimendi was a shame, but the fella had a change of heart. That’s not their fault. Beyond that, let’s see what we do. Obviously we also have 3 big players in their last year. Two of them are closer to the end while one is prime age. I expect Salah to depart, Virg to extend, and Trent is a toss up, as no matter how good our Sporting Director is, not many players have the opportunity to go to Real Madrid, so if that is what Trent is being offered for next summer, I don’t know what we are supposed to do about that.

Trent might stay or he might go. Ideally for us he would sign a new deal even if he wanted to go, and he could have the new deal insert a more modest transfer fee, so LFC don’t lose a valuable asset for free.

Trent is not obliged to do it, but it would be a classy way to treat the club that made him. It’s what Mac Allister did with Brighton. His star rose there, so instead of leaving on a free, he signed a new deal so he didn’t leave them in the lurch. The compromise was a more modest transfer fee - 40M and not say, 70M. I would be disappointed with Trent if he intended to leave and didn’t do something similar.

Anyway, let’s see what happens.

The current recruitment team cannot be blamed for what happened in the past, any more than they can be praised for what happened in the past. It wasn’t their work!

New team, new structure, lots of international footy… plenty of mitigating circumstances show why it will be tough, but still, we all work in less than perfect situations, so there’s no reason they still can’t do something good.

I’m hoping we will see some action this window, even if Zubi was a disappointment.

2 Likes

Most of our players with that reputation arent here anymore. Konate and Jones are probably the only two. Some might put Jota and Gomez in that category I think in those cases they have just been damn unlucky with bad challenges or awkward falls rather than having their body betray them. And at least on Gomez’s case is a couple of years past his last real issues.

Probably tempting fate with that though…

4 Likes

Just let me say, it’s not about blame. I hope everyone inside Liverpool sees it as a failure, learn from it and get it right from now on.

And also, Zubi had a change of heart, all good except that we wanted a DM, 4 days from the league to kick off, we haven’t upgraded what we have.

My worry for this season though is Salahs and Szobos for, more than the DM.

The big concern is 12 months from now.

Anyways, let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Where am I saying it is? I’m saying it isn’t the disaster the Twitter knicker pissers are saying it is.

The search for a DM hasn’t been good, but I’d argue that the market isn’t swimming with elite DMs. I’m sure we could find a decent one, but if they aren’t much better than The other players we have for Slot’s double pivot - Mac Allister, Jones, Szoboszlai, Endo, Bajcetic - what’s the point? What would we be spending? 30m? 40? 50? Do we get a commensurate level of improvement?

Your argument (as it was last year) seems to be that the club should be able to identify a suitable player. I’m not sure they can. I think the pool of players that would genuinely improve on what we have is very small indeed.

2 Likes

While I’m on, I’ll tell you what was elite level recruitment - getting Alexis Mac Allister for £35m quid, with most of football’s royalty sniffing round him.

4 Likes

He was our first choice. Problem was that he made it to the final of the EUROs. Players nowadays don’t make decisions during tournaments and after the tournaments they take their summer break.

That’s why we missed out on our first choice so late.

4 Likes

Yes, like I said, for whatever reason. :smirk:

Better served that this rubbish put out by the club journalists.

We evidently wanted this Zubi bloke so don’t come out with nonsense afterwards about the set up.

losing out on zubby was yes messed up… However, I would suggest folks hold fire and keep their pitchforks at home until the window is closed. There are still two weeks left, let’s not string up Hughes just yet.

1 Like

Athur managed 33 games last season for Fiorentina and could be available on loan again

11 Likes

The club putting out a statement that they are trying to sign players is a cracking idea, if they want a zero putting on the end of every deal we try to do.

As so often with us. The stuff on Zubi came out of the selling club. There isn’t a great deal we can do about that. I don’t think anyone is suggesting we didn’t want him, but the idea we’ll go from Zubimendi to the next cab off the rank is obviously something the club want to make clear isn’t happening, and the reasons for that should be obvious.

4 Likes

Where’s that aubergine emoji when you need it…

So with the City hearings happening next month, there is a scenario where they are docked points this season, meaning we realistically need to beat Arsenal (and the other 17 teams) to the title.

Is there any more incentive to get an upgrade on Endo ie not the perfect player opportunistically, literally just an upgrade on him? Plus a CB?

Would be kicking ourselves if the above happened and we were say 5 points adrift.

I get there may be more certainty re the above in January and opportunity to strengthen then.

The constant jumping in to slag people who express concern about transfers is getting a bit annoying. It’s a forum and people are going to vent. I haven’t seen anything on TAN to compare to the hysteria on X.

The fact we’re the only team in the top 5 leagues yet to strengthen our squad, and we haven’t got contracts sorted for 3 of our best players, does seem like some cause for concern.

That said, there is still time, and FSG have plenty of metaphorical credit in the bank when you look at where we are now compared to when they took over.

There’s a middle ground here!

17 Likes

There’s no need for a statement.

As for the window, only time to judge is when it’s at least closed. The team needs strengthening. Plenty to do. Let’s see what transpires.

2 Likes

You sir have clearly never played football manager.

7 Likes

To be fair, Klopp had this squad leading the league half the year so it isn’t entirely crazy to think we could win the league without a shiny new big money signing.

I always expected more out than in this year, but also think the downside effect of not having a big new signing will be felt more next year or the year after than this year.

3 Likes