The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

So if we don’t sign a player, we don’t win the title, it’s excuses. But if we do sign a player and still don’t win the title, what is that then? It becomes reasons?

3 Likes

There’s always the winter window too.

I’m fine with no transfers this window. We still have a mighty good side and the preseason was very promising.

7 Likes

I wonder if the no Klopp anymore factor is relevant in recruiting right now. Would Zubi have signed if Klopp was manager.

Someone had to go there. OK I will now leave the room.

3 Likes

Klopp is such a big pull that Zubi decided he wouldn’t get games what with Tchouameni, Caideo and Jude already here.

6 Likes

Oh yes, those “club journalists” in the pocket of the club!

Perhaps people would be much better served completely disengaging from football news altogether during transfer season, and only thinking about transfers if/when they do happen.

This is 100% on the pathetic kneejerkers, not the club.

1 Like

Thank goodness we’re not on the level of that cesspit. Nor am I “jumping in to slag people who express concern about transfers”. That’s akin to saying the rioters were just “expressing concern about immigrations”. There are many other posts expressing concern about transfers that I agree with, I’m only bothering to reply to the over-the-top, doomerism, our-recruitment-is-shit posts.

The idea that the only way to “strengthen our squad” through transfers is the one I have an issue with. There are many other ways to do so. Jones wasn’t a transfer. Nor was Alexander-Arnold.

I am concerned about the latter’s contract, but for Virgil and Salah, I can understand the apprehension. Henderson was fine until he wasn’t, I can understand the club not wanting to make too hasty a move.

2 Likes

I played the mobile version in what, 2007? I’m quite clearly out of date with new-fangled technology and their impact on quick transfers.

Bring back the fax machines I say!

1 Like

You may have missed a reply by someone comparing our owners to those of a Sunday league team.

:kissing_heart:

4 Likes

This is what I’m concerned about with regards to the squad. Not about big new signings in particular, but unlike with Bradley where he was a clear contender to slot in, or perhaps Quansah and van den Berg as candidates who were nearly but perhaps not quite there, Bajcetic as someone who could have been if not for injury, we don’t really have anyone in the youth team pipelines for right wing and left back, two positions where we have players who are ageing to a point where we would need someone in within a couple of years. Unless I’m much mistaken and @Sweeting has other ideas about that. Otherwise, for most of the other positions, we have players who are young enough to tide us over for a few years, without having to worry about that.

And also most of the “injury-prone” players taking up squad space without playing much have now left, and were essentially replaced a while ago. It means we’ve pruned our squad without negatively impacting it, giving us room to manoeuvrer if we wanted/needed it.

3 Likes

That tends to be opportunistic signings which, we are told, Zubi was. It’s perfectly possible that they have assessed the squad and decided that it isn’t lacking with no obvious upgrades for how they intend to line up.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we sign someone in January if we get wind that they are available and cheap.

I’m still bothered by the CB slot. I still remember seeing that position wiped out and we still, incredibly, have Nat Phillips on our books. In fact I even saw a picture of him with his head held together with gaffer tape which made me rather nostalgic.

3 Likes

I live in Germany. Some people still use the pissing things.

I feel Arne Slot might not have brought the personality traits of a certain ‘one-off’ Jurgen Klopp (who could), but at the very early stage of his tenure, we have to trust, and hope, he is the right man for the job.
Having said that, at this juncture, I have no qualms about whether we bring in ten new players, or we sell ten players… we are ALL, in the hands of this guy now, for the success, or failure of the present squad he chooses to assemble.
Michael Edwards will obviously be monitoring things from a financial perspective, he might make a case for signings, or sales, based upon this fact only.
As for contract extensions to our three stalwarts, who even knows if Slot has them in his future plans or not… he has barely had time to work alongside them.
No panic button will be getting pressed at my end, just yet, best to watch events unfold over a realistic timeline our my thoughts.
Who cares we missed out on Zubi, it might just prevent Trent going to RM - shit happens, we work with what we have. Tomorrow is another day, just like January is another transfer window.

2 Likes

I’m bothered mainly because it seems unclear if we’re planning to retain van den Berg as well. Gomez has been mainly clear from injury issues in the last couple of seasons, but the main question is whether he can play it well enough to the standards we want, the way he did in 2018-19.

Phillips is less worrying, he’s probably 6th or 7th choice if there re no incoming/outgoing transfers. He should ideally be moving on soon, but at the same time, I don’t begrudge him staying. If he has to play, it means that something has gone severely wrong, which once again, no transfers would have solved.

1 Like

Not too bothered by a CB spot.

It’s not essential for this season. We’ve got 3 starting CB’s plus Gomez. It would be great to have one extra left sided CB as a backup to Virgil but something that isn’t absolutely essential. It’s something that can be fixed in the coming transfer windows or can be fixed inhouse with the academy.

I’m more looking towards the reinforcement/replacement at the LB position and RW (long term replacement of Salah). But nothing that should be looked at for this transfer window.

1 Like

I hate to be a pedantic/annoying dickhead (srsly), but ‘the TAN’ = the The Anfield Noise.

Sort yourself out FFS.

4 Likes

Haha @cynicaloldgit

2 Likes

I think we all know it is time for our annual dose of wisdom from Captain Arsebiscuits…

Fannies click here

5 Likes

I suppose half the problem is that we don’t quite know how Slot is going to play and rotate players. Maybe Slot will be a majestic, listing symphony of football rather than Klopp’s style of Motörhead on amphetamines.

2 Likes

Joyce in latest new:

`The collapse of a potential transfer for Zubimendi is considered a significant blow for Liverpool’s squad, which Virgil van Dijk believes lacked experience, quality, and struggled with injuries last season.

We’re starting to look like Arsenal during the latter years of Wenger’s tenure. Back then, they lost their captain every year due to a lack of ambition. I think we’re heading down that same path. It seems our owner has accepted that we can’t compete with City, so instead, they’re just optimizing resources to just enough secure Champions League football.

1 Like