The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Bad influence

1 Like

I think that is wrong. With a new coaching staff in place there is obviously going to be a fresh look at what we have and what is needed. That can take time. Transfers are part of that process and simply buying or selling a player can have a significant impact on the squad as a whole - so itā€™s best not to rush into decisions.

Our squad is probably better than the one Wenger left behind, itā€™s already pretty big and weā€™re not tying up valuable capital panic buying like Arsenal did.

The issue around the Zubi deal not happening is that he was seen as a transformational player - allowing Arne to play the system he wanted. That falling through makes the job slightly harder for Arne, but not impossible - weā€™re not short of numbers or quality across the squad. For example, if he can get Nunez putting away a higher % of his chances that will make a big difference for us.

4 Likes

I agree that weā€™re better, and I understand why our transfers have been slow. I also think weā€™ll improve on last year. But Iā€™m confused by our targets. It feels like weā€™re more focused on maximizing resources without taking any financial risks, rather than being driven by football results. But football careers are short, and sometimes we need to take risks. I doubt weā€™ll see another signing like Van Dijk in the next 10 years.

1 Like

What targets have given you that impression mate?

I watched that interview and found it quite interesting. Achterberg suggested that had the Fekir deal been completed there was no money for Ali and he would been Chelsea bound. That comment seems at odds with the belief that the money is always available for the right player.

VVD is a generational talent.

1 Like

They all changes clubs with fatter wages and 2 joined Real. Who Real want they get. Zubi stayed.

Technically, Real* got their way with Zubimendi as well.

*Sociedad

2 Likes

While we donā€™t know how our season will pan out, itā€™s also worth noting Slot is not Klopp. He canā€™t be, he isnā€™t and he shouldnā€™t be. He needs to be Slot, stamp his name in history. Every Manager has a differing approach, differing style and differing training regimes. He should be Arne Slot first with the unfortunate duty of taking over a successful squad. I think he needs to move the club in his direction and see how it goes.
I donā€™t believe he should ever be compared too Klopp, that is LFC history and he is now.

4 Likes

I was thinking of recommending a new thread ā€˜FSG Apologists Post Hereā€™, but Iā€™d imagine it would be deactivated pretty quickly due to lack of activity.

Irony, hey?

1 Like

By Alanis Morissetteā€™s definition of ironic, maybe.

5 Likes

Winter windows are really for course changes, corrections, stop-gaps, and the rare opportunity. The summer window is the opportunity to bring new talent in with a lower level of disruption and bring them into the side patiently. I donā€™t think there are any absolutely pressing issues, but there are lots of looming risks and players who will need replacing over the next two years.

Good recruitment is really about getting out of a reactive decision cycle and into a construction process. Probably the epitome of that kind of transfer is Robertson. Forums and pundits wrote him off as a useless transfer by the end of September, and he did not get a game from September to December. Turns out the brain trust had a fairly good idea of what they had all along, just didnā€™t rush him. It looks like our plans are not going to get us there this season.

3 Likes

This season was a different kind of summer transfer window with the Euro and COPA, then olympics. Players at the elite level are only just coming back.
I would hope that anyone we would have been looking at was at the level as a minimum. So it has been different.

1 Like

What? A player in the conversation around the best centre back to ever play the game?

Yeah. Iā€™m not sure weā€™ll see another one of those.

3 Likes

I think the context is very different. Even though we sold Coutinho for big money earlier, we also bought Virgil, KeĆÆta, Ox, and Salah in preceding windows, and also bought Fabinho that window. That was a massive outlay no matter how you look at it, and there may simply not have had been any financial room to move two transfers at that size. I think pre-JĆ¼rgen, the income wasnā€™t as high as it was subsequently either.

Not to mention issues around cashflow and all that. Iā€™m not sure if the stadium expansion also factored into that.

1 Like

Van Dijk, the captain of our club whoā€™s been here almost 7 years is right. Of course heā€™s going to know more about the squad, itā€™s strengths, weaknesses and deficiencies than a guy whoā€™s just walked through the door and thus not having the slightest clue where to start.

1 Like

Wonā€™t be surprised if the deal is back on!!

https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1823681942878888092?t=TVf5gIVSeBrLhK91CWQwXA&s=19

1 Like

Debatable. Gerrard quite clearly doesnā€™t have a clue about managing a team, something that could be seen when he and Carragher wanted Rafa sacked in favour of Hodgson. Nothing about being the club captain gives him some special insight that the coaching team wouldnā€™t get from the analysts.

5 Likes

All thatā€™s certain is that the AnfieldSector user on that cesspit is getting a lot of exposure.

1 Like

We seem to have been played by the player and his agent to get themselves a big payday.