The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

So a handful of games missed the last two seasons? Doesn’t really seem that troubling.

3 Likes

Knee problems after the ACL would be a bit concerning but coupled with the vagueness of a lot of the others just puts me on edge.

But it’s low cost and that mitigates some of the risk but I was enjoying the relative emptiness of the physio room in comparison to seasons past.

1 Like

Reporting for duty, sir

3 Likes

He plays a new position, tabler as in occupier of the physio treatment table.

I though we learned our lesson after Arthur :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

This would be like signing a better version of Arthur a year on though.

I can understand the downsides and it doesn’t massively thrill me but his last season wasn’t the worst for a player who had an ACL.

My major concern would be the pace of the league.

2 Likes

Reminding me of Aspas and Morientes. Ace at a slower league but just couldn’t cut it at PL tempo and physicality

1 Like

Mamadashvili
Chiesa
Lukeba

Then the window slams shut.

2 Likes

If we did that or a similar deal for a CB then I’d be fine. Get one or two of those contracts sorted.

2 Likes

What, for fan expectation management? Doubt that would be the point of such a move.

Unless this was an opportunity we had on our radar but the price wasn’t what we preferred until now?

In the sense that even €15m is too much for him, or because €15m doesn’t whet your appetite?

It’s confusing (not accusing you of this) that people actively want the club to spend more, not less, on the same player. Surely one would want the club to spend as little as possible on as good a player as possible?

1 Like

Lfc’s medical dept:

please.

can we not start this condecending bullshit

i suppose thats possible. hes a left sided player from the italian league, not young, with an ACL under his name…

any red flags?

1 Like

Well go on then, educate me on how it’s “condecending bullshit”?

As opposed to a versatile player approaching their prime, albeit slightly delayed, whose rumoured price is pretty much two-thirds of what we just sold Carvalho for?

Not to mention that according to others, after the ACL he’s been mostly managed back into fitness, and that there’s no obvious gap that we need to fill desperately.

I don’t know enough of the players to either be in favour or not in favour of the deal, but based on everything that’s been said on here so far, it’s possible to see the logic.

1 Like

because you are literally asking if some people would be happier if we paid more for the same player

it cant be a serious question.

just admit it was a bit OTT and we can move on, i know you love to defend the clubs operation team at every single chance…thats cool, i enjoy alot of it…but every so often, as same with Gasband, it goes into ‘stan’ territory.

literally no one, not even the most insane twitter head, would be happier if we overpaid for the same player

to be fair, im only just findin out hes played more games on the right, which fails my first impression…i dont watch alot, but im sure he operated on the left the few times ive seen him…

makes it at least one more box ticked, still have a concern along the other stuff

1 Like

Chiesa pre injury was a super player. He’s slowly recovering and has it in him to be very useful for us. I imagine he’ll provide cover for Mo, meaning he won’t start most matches, but will be an option for the last twenty minutes if Mo is tiring. It’s a good price for someone to cover that gap in our squad.
I hope he realises that’s what his role will be.

3 Likes

That’s because the underlying sentiment over many (not all) of these posts, is just about spending spending spending.

Why else the accusations of miserly conduct against the owners?

I’m not a “stan”, that’s just an ad hominem. I just favour a more cautious approach, the one that brought us an incredible hit rate for recruitment (well, injuries aside). I like sustainability, and I’d very much prefer we weren’t in a world where billionaire owners were a thing, and clubs genuinely had to kill what they ate.

If the criticisms were like @Sweeting, @Arminius, @Limiescouse where they view some particular weaknesses that in their opinion should be targeted for reinforcement, that’s perfectly understandable. But so much of the drivel comes from the whole mindset of winning the transfer window. Not about smart recruitment, but just who has the biggest dick and spends the most money. Comparisons to United, who have had very successful seasons in the last 10 years, I’m sure, just because they spent more money? Comparisons to City, who had to spend £1b on full-backs before they found decent ones, whereas we just “lucked out” by getting Robertson?

And it’s always the usual suspects, who don’t appear apart from transfer windows or when the team is doing badly, just to post their transfer wishlists, rather than actually care about squad development. So don’t give me that bullshit.

Transfers are arguably necessary, that’s how we’ve built our squad, but they’re not the be all and end all, and most certainly you don’t do them for the sake of doing them. It’s quite clear that our recruitment approach targets the player, rather than a particular position that needs to be filled no matter what.

For all the talk about the “great CB failure” of 2020-21, none of the names that popped up that window have turned out to be that good, have they? Including the one we actually brought in in the end in the form of Kabak. Instead, we waited and got Konaté. Similarly, Endo wasn’t the club’s first choice, indisputably, but also he hasn’t performed worse than the two players we were supposedly desperate for, has he? The only drawback to him has always been that he was brought in as a 30-year-old player whose European experience was at a middling Bundesliga club. It’s widely acknowledged that apart from Thiago before him, we did not buy or even look at anyone above 27 years old, as a rule.

There is a method it’s brought us success, and the arguments against the method aren’t that the alternatives are better, based on evidence. It’s just that I WANT MORE SPENDING WHY ISN’T FSG SPENDING FSG OUT I WANT MY TOYS!

4 Likes

Despite what @Limiescouse said, I think he’s also had quite a few muscular injuries in the last couple of seasons. Combined with being in the last year of his contract, you can see why the price is as low as €15m.