The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Wow! I have not posted in this thread at least on the point of contention you had with Redalways and still had the honour to be mentioned by you! Whatever you like to accuse people of here, you probably are the other extreme opposite so as I always do in a forum, whatever rocks your boat. But I am still honoured to be mentioned in this forum other than for my art.

4 Likes

@gasband i didnt know you did artwork?

2 Likes

You need to hang out more with some of the posters here who claimed they made millions selling copies of my art

2 Likes

@jabu I am sorry mate, if I have misunderstood the intent of your post. Appreciate your comment for clarity. Cheers and Have a great day.

1 Like

To be fair to @jgw_geneseo i think he meant in the sense that the relatively low price might be an indication that the level of the players abilities have dropped off significantly because of the previous injury.

2 Likes

Your style of conversation leaves a lot to be desired. You are adversarial, meandering and push the debate to the extreme margins. You fail to make your point clearly and then get frustrated that your posts are misread.

Nobody has described Gravenberch as the ā€˜messiahā€™. Thatā€™s a stupid, strawman, exaggeration that is rightly going to put peoples backs up.

We didnā€™t get the lad we really wanted to play at 6, so instead of going to the next cab off the rank, we looked again at an internal solution, who has done exceptionally well in three games and seems to be grabbing the opportunity with both hands.

I really donā€™t see what the issue is there. Thatā€™s a case of good squad management.

I went back and looked at the post you linked to re previous regime. I genuinely donā€™t know what point you are trying to make. The resignation of a charismatic leader, along with most of his staff, and the recruitment of a new head of football operations, a new sporting director, a new head of analysis, a new head coach (not manager) and half a dozen new coaches in Slotā€™s team has led to a grinding of the gears in a previously slick operation? Well, yeah.

There are obviously differences in the style of football under Slot to how we played under Klopp that will lead to a rethink of targets - it would be stupid if this wasnā€™t the case. But the biggest change is that Klopp, by the end of his tenure was the most powerful voice in the room when it came to transfers. The analysis and strategy teams had been to some degree sidelined, and Klopp had brought in his own man to work as Sporting Director to get those deals over the line.

FSGs big move post Klopp was to go all in on the previous model - I think that our most successful phase of recruitment was the time when the analysis side was in the ascendancy and Klopp was identifying the kind of player, but not the actual player, he wanted. The most visible expression of this is that Slot is the head coach, and not the Manager, but this maternal restructure will have inevitable led to a reboot of the transfer operation.

What Iā€™m trying to say is that you canā€™t compare pre and post Klopp, and say all the targets should still be on the computer so go and get them in. Kloppā€™s stature had led to that process being lessened in influence, and FSGs response to his departure was to completely rework the football operations.

4 Likes

I think I phrased it poorly, but that was the question I was genuinely asking.

I wouldnā€™t disagree, but Iā€™d like to think the clubā€™s decision-making apparatus have a better insight into whatā€™s a fair price for him than I do.

1 Like

Had they? Thatā€™s the part Iā€™m not quite sure I understand. Sure, thereā€™s that chatter from journalists (well just one in particular if I remember correctly), but thereā€™s also Grahamā€™s words that the disagreements involved werenā€™t that big, and it was more a matter of, for example, JĆ¼rgen viewing NĆŗƱez as important enough to warrant changing our style and structure for.

Again, I havenā€™t read enough or at least seen enough to know if this is truly the case or not, but it does strike me very much like itā€™s the case that the targets and analyses are indeed still there ā€œon the computerā€ so to speak, but the footballing philosophy and direction taken would be different, even if itā€™s just subtly so.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a matter of reworking the football operations at all, given that they brought back someone who worked within that structure to begin with, just with a remit to implement that structure or a similar one across an envisioned umbrella of clubs. Endo doesnā€™t strike me as someone who was brought in because of JĆ¼rgenā€™s wanting him in particular, but someone who was identified as a good target by the models.

I think itā€™s clear though that I just donā€™t believe the rumours of the supposed rift between JĆ¼rgen and the rest of the structure have much truth to them. Itā€™s more a feeling than having any hard evidence, but for example, one of the supposed disagreements was the contract extension for Henderson, but weā€™ve already seen from an actual attributed interview that itā€™s the case that we build models to identify players with the playing characteristics that we want, but in terms of personality and character, itā€™s still traditional scouting that matters, and itā€™s quite possible that to JĆ¼rgen it was a matter of retaining that leadership figure. Whatever other braindead things heā€™s done, I think itā€™s quite clear that Henderson was definitely a well-respected leader in the squad.

1 Like

This was precisely what i was getting at. Juve has him out on his own for training and heā€™s available for loose change in todayā€™s market (for 10 mil less than our youth sales) - why? Iā€™d want a good answer to that if Iā€™m the club. Is there off field stuff? What else is going on? Itā€™s just unusual, hence the price makes me nervous.

3 Likes

The price is irrelevant, what matters is does he improve or fit our team. We should not be looking at the bargain side. One manā€™s rubbish isnā€™t always someone elseā€™s treasure.

1 Like

Perhaps to the club itā€™s precisely the case that itā€™s a relatively low-risk for a transfer fee, and that he has potential and is undervalued not just because of his injury record but also something structural to Juventus? I think someone else posted that Juventus is undergoing a transformation of their own so perhaps heā€™s just surplus to requirements there.

1 Like

Price is never irrelevant. All transfers carry risk and involve opportunity costs.

4 Likes

Our strategy should never be what is cheap, it should be what benefits us the most. A cheap buy in the last few days of a transfer window suggests desperation.
If he is being bought as a succession plan for Mo, Mo is that fit that he will be second fiddle for the next three years, then we will be looking for a successor for him and Mo.

Why? Iā€™d imagine it would suggest the opposite, that a cheap buy suggests someone whoā€™s not a must-have, but someone who is an opportunity.

Which is why itā€™s unlikely that that is the case, no?

1 Like

Where we actually after Ugarte when he went to PSG? Manure just got him fairly cheaply (by midfielder going rates)

Could mean the salary demands are too much.

Anyway , heā€™ll become shit. Heā€™s just joined United.

11 Likes

Also a bit suspect that heā€™s leaving PSG so soon after joining

1 Like

Ugarte is absolutely wank, from what Iā€™ve seen. Theyā€™ve basically just signed Amrabat again.

17 Likes

He didnt do well last season at PSG. They were desperate to sell him. Ofcouse his wages will be higher considering our pay structure.

2 Likes