The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

That is assuming everything in the media is true and not just media rubbish. We have been linked with nearly 40 players this transfer period and nothing concrete.
Last season he had 10 goals and 2 assists as a winger. Salah gets an assist a game.
He may be a wonderful player but once again just because he is cheap, doesn’t mean we should jump. It should always be what he offers.

1 Like

There are a lot of very good wingers out there who don’t even get 10 goals.

The highly raved about Kvaratskelia only managed 1 more than him despite playing 8 games more last season, City spent 100m then 60m on wide players that can’t get more than 5 goals, Utd spent 70m and 100m on wide players that can’t get more than 5 goals, Chelsea spent 90m on a wide man that can’t get more than 5 goals, clearly we’ve been impressed enough by him last season to make a move otherwise I doubt this would be happening, or close to.

This appears to be 1 of those opportunistic signings we’re after this summer, not often does a player with the quality of Chiesa come around for 15m. Right player, right price whether for the squad or the first XI.

4 Likes

4 days left in this window where we’ve only bought a keeper for next season. The cynical is dialled to 11 already. Chiesa arriving in the next four days might just about bring it down to single figures.

2 Likes

Keeper for next season has to move the needle away from 12 o’clock. But you need to leave room for escalation from here over the next 3 days, lest your escalation over the last day pass un-noticed.

I am fairly pleased with the long-term horizon on the GK. Chiesa would be a plus, simply because I am willing to endorse gambles with low downside and high upside, you can officially point the finger at me if he takes up the Keita position in the training room. But I’d like one more horse in the barn. Fundamentally, I think every summer has to have some element of turning over the squad to keep the soil fertile.

4 Likes

Agreed.

Somewhat disagree. We’ve made that mistake before with ‘cheap’ players like Power Cube, Taki, Thiago etc. I’m not a fan - I’d actually rather our gambles be more in the mid/higher priced variety. Perhaps Chiesa sits closer to here, I’m not sure. However I’m very wary because of his injury and not stellar last season on top of which the elephant is whether he will adjust to the PL. If we really wanted him and not just because his price made him ‘low risk’, I don’t know why we’re only going for him now rather than the summer…

Because his price might have made him low risk? Doesn’t get much simpler than that. Fans moaning aside, Arthur was not a disaster. Sure, he did nothing for us, but the cost was low - and unfortunately last season we saw the upside of that gamble. We just got the timing wrong, and within the frame of what we now know, we were unfortunate. He is a good player, but his time with LFC was destroyed by fitness issues. At £80M, a disaster, for what we paid, a bad throw of the dice.

Chiesa is somewhere in between those two. He could absolutely end up being a physio room disaster, but he could also end up being a spectacular acquisition. On balance, you have to accept the higher probability of the former.

As for the three examples you choose, Shaqiri cost a net of 6M Euros for 3 seasons of coming off the bench as a threat (500K a goal is a long way from poor). That is solid, no more or less. Taki did not work out, but cost the club very little. Thiago is a little more complicated, but again, cost very little and might have contributed so much more - but a player that started and lost a CL final by one goal doesn’t strike me as a bad gamble.

7 Likes

I am indifferent to Chiesa but people needs to look at “opportunistic” as more than just price. It is the right price, for the right player at the right time. This is why the club bought Mama now instead of later because it’s the right player to them and they think if they don’t seal a deal now, the price is gonna rise. So woe be to the club if they are only buying based on who’s cheap. The price is just one part of the equation, they would have considered the other parts before making a move.

After Mane & Salah , I think most of wingers will be a downgrade.

3 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

We’ve made that mistake before with ‘cheap’ players like Power Cube, Taki, Thiago etc. I’m not a fan - I’d actually rather our gambles be more in the mid/higher priced variety.

Agreed. You haven’t even gotten to the horrors of Milner and Matip.

6 Likes

100 million dollars.

1 Like

And Saliba.

1 Like

I feel like Chiesa is a realistic move. He’s a depth signing to bolster the squad in attacking positions. Besides being a versatile winger he can also play AMC/SS. I believe his wages and him being on the last year of his deal are motivating factors for Juventus to sell.

This would be an opportunistic signing for Liverpool at not that high of a cost. Chiesa will be a bargain assuming he can stay relatively healthy and be available for most matches.

That being said we still need another top 4 quality CB signing, especially if Gomez leaves as has been rumored to be the case.

2 Likes

@greggevans40

: Defensive midfield is the main area of concern for Liverpool, but don’t expect it to be fixed in this transfer window. Following Zubimendi’s decision, it was decided that working with the current squad is better than signing another stop gap like Endo.

True. If he really was a priority amongst others, he would have had a pre-season with us.

Ideally I would tell them to fuck off.

But, if they are willing to stump majority of the fee upfront to give us the chance to get a replacement, would a cheeky bid for Ivan Toney be something people would get behind?

I would consider this but then Darwin has to go, which I wouldn’t mind at all.

Fair points.

The other thing to factor in regarding the Mama deal is the number of top clubs that will be looking for a new keeper in the next 12-24 months. We have just locked in one of the best and at 23, we are potentially not having to worry about our No. 1 keeper for at least the next 10 years, meaning we can look for a young keeper with high potential to come in and serve as understudy like Kelleher has done.

3 Likes

Interesting we think 10 goals is decent but then want to can Nunez who in a fluffy season got about 16.
My concern for Cheisa is his 2 assists, Mo gets that every game.

Agreed, Chiesa is definitely a bargain signing and someone who brings with him lot of experience and ability to play against technical teams in Champions league for sure. He has been scouted by the club for a long time since the U21 championships in 2019 and it’s great to finally snap him up. If he can keep himself healthy, he would be an excellent addition to the squad nonetheless.
The problem with the CB signing is that it can only be top quality if Virgil departs,as our focus has been on left footed CB’s in Inacio or Hincapie recently. Second spot is already contested by Quansah/Konate. So, Gomez replacement will either be a young potential signing or a Matip like experienced one, if there will be any.

1 Like