The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

He’s not going anywhere anyhow.

Genuinely not sure where he fits but as soon as Jota picks up his annual injury he does.

I talked about players dropping in and out of form and he has that opportunity ahead also when the CL hits expect rotation.

It’s why I expect we may buy a CB still. Chiesa can play Mid so he is an option there too.

1 Like

One of the highlight videos of him I have seen is 50% clips of him putting it on a plate for Vlahovic to miss :joy:

6 Likes

Exactly…he’ll get plenty of minutes. Bringing him on with 30 minutes left to run at tired defenders will be huge.

1 Like

Fits right in with Nunez.

2 Likes

Hard to say, but here are some clues.

a broad range of responsibilities including leading efforts to identify and recruit new leadership for Liverpool F.C.’s football operation [done], and supporting the growth of FSG in global football through additional investment and acquisition. In this position, Edwards will report directly to FSG’s ownership group

Mike Gordon said;

He returns to us in a role with greater seniority than he held previously and with a wider remit…he will take over responsibilities I have previously held regarding oversight and management of Liverpool F.C.’s football operation

Edwards said;

one of the biggest factors in my decision is the commitment to acquire and oversee an additional club, growing this area of their organization.

and

With Liverpool F.C., I will oversee the required reinforcement of football operations, with a number of essential leadership positions needing urgent attention

Source - https://fenwaysportsgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/FSG-Michael-Edwards-Named-CEO-of-Football.pdf

So he has his hands in every FSG related football pie, including full control of Liverpool FC Football Ops. Given his vast experience and network, I would very much expect him to be involved (at the highest level) during the transfer window, but largely leaving it to his appointee’s to do the hard graft. The rest of time time he’ll have a list longer than imaginable to deal with - that’s leadership for you.

4 Likes

[quote=“mattyhurst, post:5023, topic:3778, full:true”]
He’s not going anywhere anyhow.

Genuinely not sure where he fits but as soon as Jota picks up his annual injury he does.

I talked about players dropping in and out of form and he has that opportunity ahead also when the CL hits expect rotation.[/quote]

Pearce making it clear that Chiesa fills out the six forward options Slot wants and his arrival isn’t in anticipation of one of them leaving this window.

https://x.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1828781454580670928

10 Likes

Fuck me , thay has to be the best front line going.

4 Likes

So two deep in attack, two deep in defense (maybe not depending on where we see Gomez) and midfield we have two deep as well (Harvey, Dom, jones, mac, grav, endo)

I imagine we are still looking at defenders and will definitely see one in if Gomez leaves.

That front 6 is tasty though

2 Likes

That’s my feeling…

1 Like

@_pauljoyce

: Ben Doak is expected to leave on loan.

5 Likes

When was the last time we had quality AND depth like this!

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, young Sterling, Ibe, Aspas…nah…one outstanding, two very good

Salah, Firmino, Mane, Origi, Minamino, Shaquiri…not quite, starting 3 better but not squad

1 Like

that midfield aint deep at all. you remove macca, dom or grav and quality goes down quite a bit

1 Like

Yep…quality depth needed at deep-laying midfield and CB.

2 Likes

More short at CB than at midfield

2 Likes

Midfield is where we fell apart primarily last season at the critical juncture. We were shagged! I get the progression logic for Clark and Morton to go and we can buy back Clark on the cheap and Morton is on loan…but they could have definitely covered in cup games for example. And not having an adequate replacement for Thiago was a big issue last season. We need at least two more in midfield! Is Nyoni on the midfield depth chart?

seems a very direct player from the highlights I have seen

I made the point earlier that there is a big difference for a player of Nyoni’s age between wanting to find an opportunity to give him some first team minutes (picking the right time when all the circumstances are aligned) vs looking at him as a fall back if we lose a couple of senior players (being at the mercy of circumstances). I would be very surprised if we’re looking at him for the latter, which makes me very nervous about the numbers we have with the ongoing links to both Stef and Morton going out on loan as well.

2 Likes

Spot on! I remember you saying that Nyoni is too young to provide proper cover the way Morton and Clark could have. And adding in no Thiago, it’s imperative we get someone in. If not an improvement like Zubimendi then someone who is happy to play a role like Chiesa for example.

I have a solution, get Mama into midfield. 6’6” cat eh? He’ll do nicely at DM. Added bonus is his footwork and ball distribution will improve massively.

Just don’t use your arms and hands son.

Bajcetic is going on loan. Morton isn’t. There’s been an offer from Bayer for Morton but the decision hasn’t been made yet.

As of now , We do have Morton in the midfield.

When it comes to defense , We’ve got VVD , Quansah and then Konate and Gomez. With Gomez looking likely to go. I do think we would need reinforcements at CB more.

1 Like