The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Hyped defenders who everyone seem to identify as the next big thing make me nervous. They very rarely turn out to be as good as advertised. Before this one became the trendy link it was the lad at Benfica (2 years younger) who everyone seemed certain was the target for the big clubs and thats now all gone quiet.

3 Likes

LFC trivia time

this defender bought from Sporting CP was paired up with Jose Enrique, who was given the armband for his last match with LFC as a center back

under Kloppā€¦

Ilori.

Hat Astrology GIF by memmo.me

Dias has done well to be fair.

Donā€™t worry. We have recalled Nat Philips :blush:

Clinton Baptise, Greater Manclandā€™s finest :sweat_smile:

Nah itā€™s the Metro.

Official just post rumours, I assume they send it over to management for a good laugh.

Anyone really had a look at Inacio? I havenā€™t watched him play, but seems there is genuine interest there. His passing/offensive stats seem really good, but his defensive stats donā€™t look all that great. Could be a result of Sporting having a lot of the ball in most matches??

Iā€™ve watched him a few times, maybe 3 or 4 between last season and this, and every time he has played the left of a back 3.

Good with the ball at his feet, and solid passer. Okay in the air, but not dominant. Still quite young, 21 I think, maybe 22, so plenty of room for growth.

Inacio, Quansah, Konate, and Van den Berg could be the makings of a solid, young CB groupingā€¦Konate being the oldest at 24 now.

1 Like

I wonder if our seeming preference of him over Silva is due to him being more comfortable on the left side?

That would make a lot of sense. Heā€™s left footed (I believe) and Virgil wonā€™t be here forever. If heā€™s high up on our list and available, then I say go for it in January. We can certainly use a body at CB.

1 Like

This made me laugh
https://x.com/aboveaveragefpl/status/1743236636039590346?s=20

Man City sold Porro to Sporting less than two years ago.

2 Likes

Was reading a piece on The Athletic a couple of days back looking at various young CB options for us, one of which was Inacioā€™s defensive partner Silvaā€¦ apparently despite having a good season according to the eye test a lot of his stats have fallen through the floor - apparently something to do with Sportingā€™s style of play this season versus last.

2 Likes

Interesting. It seems they have a lot of the ball so maybe defensive stats will be misleading in this case.

1 Like

Surely there are better options than Inacio: An undersized CB who is known more for his skills on the ball rather than in defendingā€¦ doesnā€™t look like such a sure bet to succeed in the Premier League.

IMO, that seems like a pricey roll of the dice for 50M+

Perhaps you are right, but if the club are in for him then they obviously think he can defend.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying Inacio wonā€™t improve or make it (for all I know he could turn out to be a 80M defender), but it is a huge bet for the amount of money being spoken about.

Hence the reason why I donā€™t think any big club has pulled the trigger yet. Iā€™d imagine it would take one of them reaching a huge crisis before being willing to pay that sort of asking price.

I think the success of our transfer strategy under Klopp is not necessarily buying the best player out there (although we did with VVD), but in minimizing the number of costly mistakes we make and building or coaching those we do buy to become better versions of themselves.

Didnā€™t one of the reliable journos say we wanted Gvardiol but he was too expensive? I know we moved on to Colwill but maybe Inacio measures up statistically to the Croatian?