The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Think it’s absolutely possible that we go for a midfielder this summer, but a) right now it’s unlikely that we’d enter such discussions and b) probably not a “Koopmeiners” type.

1 Like

In my case, it was not rating him at all! Especially comparing him to what Man City and Arsenal have in his position… That said, long he may continue proving me wrong.

True that, but I still hope that they are a few step in front of where we think they are with all these appointments. Provided that Trent, Van Dijk and maybe Salah extend their contracts, this summer could be a quiet one regarding the number of transfers that the club might make - if the kids continue impressing and the new guy decides to stick with them.

It is possible, of course, I just don’t see it because of the sheer volume of talented players club has in those roles (and the money invested in them). I genuinely hope that Trent becomes a midfielder, no more inverting, hybrid role or whatever the fancy word is for his position. He genuinely looks disinterested in playing at right back and quite the opposite when he’s on the ball in central areas.

2 Likes

Yeah but the “sheer volume of talented players” is also pretty subjective. I like Clark as a talent, but I cannot possibly count him now 100% as a first team midfielder for next season, from the perspective of whoever our next manager will be. He might look at things differently than a lot of us. Might also deploy a different midfield structure.

I mentioned Clark in particular because Klopp would have definitely liked to develop him (he even refused to let him go out on loan) and I’m sure that club won’t hire someone like Mourinho who will forget about the academy and stunt the development of our finest talents.

If Trent becomes a midfielder - and it’s an appealing prospect, given his skill set - that would be six senior midfielders plus Clark and Elliott for, what, three positions at most? Again, I don’t see club hiring someone whose system requirements will stray too much from what Klopp is leaving. I don’t see us hiring a manager who will play every game with four midfielders.

I’m actually more concerned about contract renewals and long term partners/replacements for Van Dijk and Salah at this point, to be honest. One injury or a transfer request might change that, obviously, but these would still be my primary concerns for the short term at least.

I’ll believe it (and count with it) when I see it, who does the new manager seriously count on as his main senior midfield group.

I do think it is going to be a quiet summer, and I don’t see a lot of room for incoming playings.

Midfield is a really interesting prospect. We have Endo, Mac Allister, Jones, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch and Elliott (I think we’re all presuming Thiago will leave). But in addition to that, there is also Bajcetic to come back, Clark and McConnell who look to have a first pathway, even if it’s early days. We’ve also all forgotten about Tyler Morton, who has done well on loan. And then you have the Trent question, which Conor Bradley looks to making a strong case for answering.

That’s incredible depth to draw from. I just don’t see how there is room for another midfielder, especially (as I expect) Trent takes up a midfield position from now.

We may need to buy a centre back to replace Matip - I don’t think there is another Quansah about to break through (@sweeting might correct me).

I think Kelleher and Adrian will certainly move on this year and we’ll be looking for another back up keeper (possibly two)

The forwards really depends on what happens with Salah.

I keep forgetting about Bajčetić… Out of sight, out of mind, eh? Club will need to be really careful with him, Doak and Gordon - and I still hope that, even if injuries have stopped their development at the key point, they will fully recover in order to take part in pre-season and see where they are. If Bajčetić continues where he left off before injuries, that will be one more reason in favour of not buying a midfielder in the next year or so but I accept that it would take a miraculous recovery from him to be ready to play an important part of the next season.

Backup goalie(s) could also be on the agenda, I also keep forgetting about them even though I shouldn’t, especially with Alisson being somewhat prone to injuries (in his six seasons here, he missed around fifty games, which is one whole season, and he would have missed more had it not been for COVID-enforced break).

He seems to be back in training, so hopefully he can get himself right with what is left of the campaign.

Realistically, with the depth we have, a fully fit Bajcetic is going find himself on the periphery next season. That’s OK - he only young, but if he is coming back as a DM, he might find Endo, Mac and Trent ahead of him.

Agree there isn’t another prospect as good or as developed as Quansah coming through at CB.

If Adrian and Kelleher do leave we may simply be able to drop Jaros back into the squad. He’s playing excellently for Sturm Graz.

3 Likes

Is Jaros our best youth GK in your opinion? I know you’ve been critical of Pitaluga, who gets mentioned a lot, what about guys who’ve made the match-day squad in the past, like Davies?

I’ve always been a fan of what I’ve seen from Jaros. Very good shot stopper, commanding, good in the air - the question marks would just be his pace off the line and distribution.

Pitaluga, yep you’re right I’ve been critical of him. I honestly see nothing even close to PL level there.

Davies has had a good youth career but just lost his place on loan at Crewe after some really poor mistakes. He’s only 19 I think so it will be a few more years before he is ready for the rotation.

Mrozek is the other option. He’s better than Pitaluga - better shot stopper and a more physical presence in goal but he’s also still young and error prone.

It seems unlikely we keep Jaros but I would.

3 Likes

Van der Berg is doing really well at Mainz. He might provide an in-house option to replace Matip.

4 Likes

I think Pitaluga is looked internally as someone who’s the 3rd keeper if and when Adrian retires.

There’s Chambers as well. He might be a LB but he’s come on the preseason with Liverpool.

I strongly doubt it. I just havent seen anything from him that makes me view him as a first team player. Hes a poor shot stopper, bad in the air, not commanding, skinny, and makes bad mistakes regularly.

Hes no better today than he was 2 years ago.

3 Likes

If both Kelleher and Adrian leave this summer, I suspect the club will want someone cheap and with experience. Not to have two more or less inexperienced kids backuping Alisson. We have ambitions also. Then, of course, if someone impresses like Kelleher (who took over Adrian’s role), the doors are open for it.

I could see a smaller investment in another 18ish yr old again…have Jaros around like Sweeting is proposing, look for another Adrian when the need arises.

This is totally beside the point, but in what world is Elliott not considered a senior midfielder?

4 Likes

Mainly the one where he is considered a senior RF…

We are in a very good place as a team right now - with no glaring weaknesses or recruitment needs for the summer.

Assuming Matip and Thiago go, we perhaps need depth at CB, but still have Van Dijk, Konate, Gomez, and Quanseh… and Vander Berg coming back from a successful loan. If Xabi comes and wants to play 3 at the back you could consider it a real need.

If Kelleher leaves, a new backup Keeper - or promote youth, if Adrian leaves a new experienced pro/ auxiliary coach type who never expects to play.

If Mo leaves, a new RF would be huge, but there would be a large stack of money to invest… and we’d still be looking at Diaz, Nunez, Jota starting up front with Gakpo and Elliot in reserve which is enough quality to win trophies.

1 Like