The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Davies to sign at 10 am
On loan to Marseilles at 11 am
Caleta Car to Liverpool at noon

4 Likes

This rumour seem to have accelerated

4 Likes

But was it about this Ben Davies or the other one? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ben Davis, Ben Davies I knew them all. I knew they were good even before they were born

4 Likes

I wonder if it was either him or Davies - I do expect Liverpool to buy another centre back in time for start of the next season. Press had us believe it was Konate but Ćaleta-Car seems more developed and experienced.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a complete guess but the Davies deal does feel a bit like a backstop piece of business. Heā€™s cheap enough not to be overly concerned about and we think heā€™s better than what we have but, if we can bring in a more illustrious target we will. If not, Davies will help us through to the end of the season, then probably hang around for a year before we sell him on, likely for a good deal more than Ā£2m.

Some time left today to persuade Marseille to change their minds. Or perhaps we have a Lewis/Tsimikas situation where Caleta-Car is the player weā€™re using to push another deal throughā€¦

4 Likes

Marseilles or Rennes, one of them is going to fold.

1 Like

Who is at Rennes that weā€™re interested in?

2 Likes

Ā£2m is not an insignificant fee for a Championship player with 6 months left on their contract. I wouldnā€™t make any assumptions about Davies at the moment.

He could be much better than we anticipatedā€¦ especially given that there were other options like Mustafi (ok fair enough, he is horrible) and Subotic.

The view must of been that he was a better option - which does give food for thought.

5 Likes

Significant Liverpool update from our Merseyside reporter Chris Bascombe:

"Itā€™s been a while since Liverpool have been one of the most active clubs on a transfer deadline day. They have certainly avoided the last-minute dash during the Jurgen Klopp era.

"But today, with an echo of when they signed Jerzy Dudek and Chris Kirkland within a matter of hours in 2001, a month of searching for a centre-back is likely to end with TWO defenders holding aloft the red scarf by the end of the day.

"Pending a medical, one of them will be Preston North Endā€™s Ben Davies for Ā£2 million. As for the second, the most common phrases at Anfield in the last 72 hours have been ā€˜there are a few irons in the fireā€™ and the clubā€™s Sporting Director Michael Edwards is ā€˜spinning a few platesā€™.

ā€œThat could bring Shkodran Mustafi from Arsenal, although Duje Caleta-Car of Marseilles is also under consideration.ā€

No, no, no, please no! Thereā€™s a reason why no top level club is going after the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis and why Arsenal found themselves in the mess of past year and a half in the first place.

6 Likes

There is no way in hell we are chosing between Mustafi and Caleta-Carā€¦ Surely itā€™s Edwards saying agree to sell Marseilles, we have alternativesā€¦

Interesting James doesnā€™t mention any restrictions on incomingsā€¦

4 Likes

If a foreign CB comes in someone has to leave even if only Adrian because we have 17 non homegrown senior players registered which is the maximum.

2 Likes

Or we un-register Van Dijk.

1 Like

No, VvD is not currently registered. However, if heā€™s put back on the list youā€™re right, someone (Adrian most likely) will need to drop off to fit someone not home grown.

Quite possible that Gomez wonā€™t be registered for the second half of the season too.

2 Likes

Klopp said that Gomez has no chance this season. VVD a slim chance.

1 Like

I imagine @Zoranā€™s mentions will skyrocket if this one does go through. :joy:

4 Likes

Can imagine Edwards sending an anonmyous whatsapp to Pablo Longoria with Mustafiā€™s mobileā€¦

6 Likes

I wished we took about a 10 year break from buying players from this part of the world (nah, seriously, there were some good ones). Or at least change our man for this area! Donā€™t know if Iā€™d be able to stand another Liverpool hype in Croatian media.

:joy:

3 Likes

How is he rated back in Croatia?

1 Like

Clubs who own the registration of the player we are interested in usually have a say in whether a player can join or not. They have to make sure they have a replacement sorted, if one is needed, before they let a player move on. That chain is harder to work through during a winter window, when there is less movement overall.

Without our main CBs clubs will also probably dick around on price. As @Kopstar says there is also the factor that we probably have deals or attempted deals lined up for players for next summer and have been trying to bring them forward. One of the major reasons we have been so successful to date under Klopp and Edwards, is that focus on signing quality and the medium long term, not short term emergencies at the expense of the former.

3 Likes