The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

So now SkyGermany reporting we are trying for Kabak… Who is the red herring…

Not had this type of cloak and daggers for awhile… Micky E going nuts!

2 Likes

Regards Upamencano, it will be interesting to see him in the next round of the CL against our front 3. We will see what he is all about then.

2 Likes

I’ve seen quite a lot of Upamecano, he’s miles away from being Van Dijk or Matip standard, and is generally a bit overhyped, but he’s also a lot better than wannabe twitter scouts with access to basic data and graph making software give him credit for.

I’ve never seen Car either so I couldn’t say who was better. At 40 million Upamecano is just about worth a punt for someone but I wouldn’t say that’s a particularly great deal, not one worth waiting for.

6 Likes

He’s quite clever is Edwards, he’s getting the hang of this playing selling clubs off against each other. He did it with Lewis and Tsmiskas.

These clubs are all probably interested in doing a deal to bring in some Revenue, but pushing higher prices thinking we are desperate.

Having a few irons in the fire gives him the power to say this is our offer, we have other options.

Chances are it will be the one least talked about, plenty of noise today about Car/Kabek etc then we do a late deal for Botman, Lille seem to be the club in most Financial need.

Just a guess, but what do I know, probably end up with nobody ha ha

4 Likes

C’mon Michael, we can still salvage this season maybe

3 Likes

Got to question why we’ve left it so late to go after two players we reportedly have long term interest in.

It’s not like we’re only just getting the injuries now.

9 Likes

Probably because early in the window clubs want 50m

When they are running out of time to get the money they want suddenly they become a little more interested in negotiating.

5 Likes

It’s quite funny. For most players we are THE club they’d like to move to right now, particularly CBs. Edwards almost appears to be saying, “Look, I like you all but only one of you is going to get a hug from Klopp, get your club to get busy. You’ve got 12 hours.”

Tick Tock GIF by memecandy

5 Likes

Maybe because Matip will be out for longer :scream:

Thanks for explaining that. You’re very clever. Doesn’t explain why it took until deadline day to get 1 or maybe 2.

As I said in my original point, we’ve been incredibly successful in transfer market over past few years so was wondering if something going on behind scenes

This kinda makes sense

As I said before, I believe that the current injury situation especially with Matip confirmed out for a longer period triggered these actions. I truly believed if Matip had only been out for short periods and that Fabinho is fit, Klopp and the club might never have signed anyone this winter window,

Well, it makes sense right up until the point we then make a significant CB signing anyway! Davies role would still be as a Klavanesque signing, mind.

1 Like

I can think of two factors. In Ben Davies case, it may simply be time to break glass and get someone in as an emergency. The club were probably hoping to nurse Matip through to the end of the season like he managed a couple of seasons ago when Gomez was out. Thats not going to happen so two players are now needed and we can guarantee getting this one, and he wont stop us from getting a more expensive option in the summer (unless he turns out to be much better than we realised).

Secondly, for the more serious option we have been chasing, we have probably been talking to a number of different clubs trying to get movement on our preferred targets (i,e someone like Upacayamo), while seeing if Car or Botman for example would be feasible - in all cases those clubs would probably want to bring in a replacement and would need time to do it without all the attention they would have upon news of them selling to us breaking.

1 Like

Almost all the journos saying that major moves complicated by timing. This makes no sense to me. Why were we not making moves the day after Gomez injury, knowing that Matip made of weetabix.

Maybe we were, just feels a long time since we were panicking like this on deadline day

2 Likes

Matip has only ever been fit for short periods

1 Like

I’ve never seen him play, but the write ups I’ve seen on Car are mouthwatering. Looks Virgil-esque.

With Kabak, I’m a bit worried about Klopp’s No Dickheads policy.

9 Likes

he is, and I think if he had been fit for 1/3 of the remaining games, then Klopp is fully prepared to go with Hendo, Fabinho, Rhys and Nat for the remaining of the season. But now, Matip is not even going to be that with this ankle injury and Fabinho also seem to be in and out periodically, I think that triggered the decision to go for the options now. Because if Matip’s injury concerns were a factor, we would have signed someone in the summer, it is not as if we only knew of his fragility in the last few weeks or month.

Which would be madness because we’ve known Matip wouldn’t be able to stay fit and Fabinho will be back for City apparently.

3 Likes

Well, it sort of does. The club needs to work with other clubs to make deals happen. It also will have plans for the short, medium and long term.
I think in my original response to you I compared it somewhat with buying a pint of milk from the cornershop. They probably wont decline your offer, nor are they needing to get a replacement before selling you that pint. You can probably afford that milk today and not be put off from buying another whenever you want or even something a bit more expensive in the near future.

Buying a player is much more expensive, and a lot more complex. There will be things going on all the time which we never see or hear about.