The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

But this doesn’t make sense. They’re now left without that time and our attempts are public knowledge.

Sort this two weeks ago and teams have a chance to get someone in. Now they don’t so chances are they won’t sell.

1 Like

I think in a normal season, we would have seen someone in the summer. But it is not and I think the club decided to take a risk then and right now, with Matip out again indefinitely, it is decided that this risk is not working out. And if we really end up bringing in 2 CBs in, then it confirms that money while an issue, is not the only and biggest issue. Its always timing and availability at the right price and whether we really have to do it in current pandemic environment.

Fixing our issue with a £2m signing from the championship would very much suggest money is the main issue.

No surprise that of the two of names most mentioned are at clubs in dire financial difficulty and therefore perhaps more open to a deal. But that was also the case four weeks ago when we were playing Fab and Williams at CB.

1 Like

It does make sense if you assume that both clubs are in discussions through out that period, are only one facet of the club’s attention this window and maybe getting different messages from them now than you did two weeks ago.

Alternatively, it could be for display as someone mentioned earlier, to allow us to close a deal on another target whose club will be more willing to close a deal at the offered price afraid of losing out.

1 Like

I think the the club think more of Davies than we do, and there is a lot they like in the player. He may be one we’ve had our eye on for a while, and we decided to move for him as there was an opportunity to get him in at a low cost.

2 Likes

What I mean when I say ‘money while an issue, is not the only and biggest issue’, it means that money, whether it is 2m or 20m, has been set aside even during the summer if we had wanted to trigger a signing then. And as I said, it is definitely an issue but as I mentioned, if we bring in TWO cbs, not only Davies, then we do have money, just not as much as we would like.

I like Matip, he has done a decent job for us but I don’t think his body is made for the intensity Klopp wants us to play. You simply can’t count on him if we are playing twice a week. I would sell him.

2 Likes

This has Sakho and LLori written all over it :rofl:

Loic Bade (Lens) is another player to keep an eye on today. An out of left field or “under the radar” type signing.

Right. So we chat to Marseille for a month and then only make a public push after the point at which they won’t be able to get someone in?

And that somehow helps push a deal through for him or someone else how exactly?

One thing to bear in mind about all this action so late on is that it may not only be our desperation to buy that has changed, but the other clubs’ desperation to sell.

4 Likes

I had a problem with us giving him (and Origi) a new 5-year deal just after Madrid. New contracts is investement, often bigger evey other time it happens. Of both money and time. People often forget that. Hopefully, if we’d decide to sell him (Gomez’s advantage is age), we’d do it easier than I expect. Hopefully. But I think we’ll simply aim to get a serious option either now or more probably next summer. Give it a season with 4 proper CB options and see what happens.

But would we have done so had we been confident of getting someone else or is this the “shit, no one else is budging on price to something closer to what we can afford” fall back option.

Quite exciting, this. Can’t really remember the last time deadline day saw us so active. Suarez/Carrol in 2011 wasn’t it?

4 Likes

Had we got these CB’s during the start of the window we would have still be leading the table. We usually finish deals early. Fab and Hendo would have played in the middle and we would have easily won against West Brom/New Castle/ Burnley and United…This window has been bizarre. Having signed 1 we are going for the 2nd but for 30 days we didn’t bother to sign even one.

1 Like

Timing is obviously a problem - it’s the winter window. Other clubs will usually only sell if they have a replacement lined up and options in the winter window are much more limited. Even then they may not want to sell until the summer because they have a settled squad.

Players that are available, are usually ones you don’t want (Mustafi and the other guy who was at Arsenal for example). And the last thing the club wants to do is bring in a player of lesser quality, and then miss out on signing the better quality player the following window.

1 Like

Theres been a lot of defenders that have come up from the championship and done well.

Funnily enough…

Andy Carroll started out as a centre back,

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder!

Blatantly obvious that he should have stayed there!

7 Likes

As someone already mentioned, a second club we are in discussion with may be haggling on the price but may be willing to push through quicker if they feel they will lose the deal completely.

1 Like