The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I think it’s those who go down who may have to consider, it’s not great when the sun is shining.

Personally I feel we will be fine, having cut our cloth accordingly.

Expect more deals to get players off the books, punditry is astonishingly naive when it can’t see why teams aren’t spending.

If we had done what Keane suggested last summer we would be in the shit.

2 Likes

That’s three words :blush:

3 Likes

I’d take Harvey Barnes

Or Gini is named before him on the team sheet even though he plays for Barca!

1 Like

Only those who have billionaires (or entire states) backing them to the hilt and ensuring that the cashflow doesn’t become a problem. All other clubs will experience problems I think.

Usually, I’m 100% for the fans-owned club model (Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund), but in these uncertain times, being a Cheaty, a PSG or a Chelsea is huge advantage.

I’m not sure how it is with us and fsg. They are a powerful economic group, but all their franchises are affected by the current situation, so unless JW Henry and other members of fsg break their usual business model and start backing up the club with their private wealth (highly unlikely), we might experience cash-flow problems too.

But we can count our blessings that fsg are looking and taking decisions for the long-term, and they are smart. So they’ll most probably find a way to keep us above water.

5 Likes

I think Bayern is in prime condition. Dortmund will be fine after they sell a player or two, which they would have in any case. Barca and Real have mismanaged their resources, for many years, and now facing the consequences.

1 Like

The latest unreliable link of the day is Leeds’ Raphinha, brought to us by France Football. Very similar to Mahrez from what I’ve seen from him but I’m not sure if I can judge a Leeds player properly, they are one of the most chaotic sides I’ve seen, never a dull day with them.

4 Likes

Should be OK. Despite all the stick they got during the transfer windows, it appears that our deals have been structured in a way to minimize the negative impact on short term cash flow.

8 Likes

Looks decent, but as you say judging in that Leeds side is far from easy

I don’t think it is going to even make a dent on the mega rich clubs like Shitty and Chelski

1 Like

Another Sanchez no shortage of deluded mercenaries

3 Likes

I have no doubt at all that they will keep us going. None at all :slight_smile: All this might end up with an FFP overhaul. If not then a Superleague is all but certain IMO.

Seems to have pace and is direct at running at players

Rather shambolic of the AC Milan management that they have failed to extend the contract of a 21 year old highly rated player.

4 Likes

I’m really interested to see where Depay ends up and how he does.

1 Like

Sell Firmino and buy a good goal-scoring CF.

You can easily find an elite CF without blinking your eyes. But, good luck finding a Firmino 2.0.

1 Like

Well if the real Firmino doesn’t plan on standing up soon, and he’s been firmly sat down for the past 12-14 months, then I’d take a goal scoring CF tbh.

2 Likes

Problem is whether Firmino rediscovers form or not or whether we find a Firmino 2.0 or not I think our 433 with a false 9 has become a bit stale and predictable.

It might be ultra defensive but teams have found how to set up to negate it with a deep deep deep block and even had a lot of joy grabbing the occasional goal on the counter or through set pieces. This has led to us dominating games without getting a decent chance/shot and drawing or even losing.

We can mock the opposition for their negative, fearful and boring play but we still need to pick up points to win leagues and more and more teams are doing this against us now. We can’t change them doing that to negate us so we need to change what we are doing so it’s no longer effective against us.

I think the two, versatile, roaming forwards in the 4-4-2 diamond or 3-4-1-2 formations may be the way to go for a bit. Fabinho as central CB/DM with Kabak and Davies at RCB and LCB. Henderson and Thiago at CM. Jones, Ox, Shaqiri given goes at the tip of the diamond. Two out of Salah, Mane and Jota as the front two. Firmino and Origi as plan B and plan C in reserve for changing the set up as needed in game management.

The 433 has relied heavily on Wijnaldum and Firmino but the opposition now largely ignore those two letting them have the ball outside the area as much as they like because there’s little odds of them harming them.

Wijnaldum every game or so will do his trademark run up to the edge of the area before faltering and passing back or sideways. Firmino just gives the ball away as often as not these days.

Wijnaldum has already seemingly decided to move on and Firmino can hopefully adapt to be useful in other formations. I think the 433 that got the best of them both needs to be used infrequently now and we find something that fits the others better if we want to save this season with a top 4 finish.

3 Likes

I think we should adopt the Christmas tree formation.

Alisson
Trent Kabak/Phillips Davies Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Jones Mané
Salah

Not only is it likely to prove effective, with the width coming from our full backs, but Christmas Tree in German is Weihnachtsbaum.

Which sounds pretty cool.

8 Likes

I’ve always liked us in the diamond. I remember Rodgers switching to it in 13/14, and we went on a mad one.

To be fair, there is only really a whisker between the 433 and 442 diamond. It’s just dropping Bobby deeper, and tucking in Mo and Sadio.

2 Likes