The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Would love to see the maths on this.

Also, how come everyone is believing some shite rumour about Firmino being of interest to Atletico? Every article I can find sources some Spanish site who state his nominal value as €55m but Atleti would offer less than that. Now every one of these scenarios has Firmino pegged at him going for £55m.

Honestly, I think you’d be about £20m short of Sancho selling those three and another £15m shy of Abraham with what we’d get for Shaq, Origi and Ojo.

1 Like

To no one in particular, but when we start doing our sums (and I’m as guilty as anyone else) we generally value our own players higher as we sell, and incoming players lower as we seek to buy.

Add in a covid world, and who knows what anything costs any more?

Even so, we all see it needs to be refreshed, not wholesale change, but we need to do some decent business to continue to compete at the very top.

Summer will be interesting.

2 Likes

So we won’t get what we apparently want for Firmino but you think we will pay full asking price for those we’d be buying like Sancho and Abraham? If these are even the real targets/moves.

Wait, we can’t keep Jota, Salah, Mane, Firmino and say Abraham happy. But we could keep Jota, Salah, Mane, Abraham and Sancho happy? Same number of players you’re juggling/rotating. Adding to what we have seems a better way of keeping as much of what we have but bringing in some freshness rather than selling someone and buying two.

Let’s not forget, we added Jota last summer and he’s been out for a good chunk of this season so we haven’t really had the full benefit of him bringing something new yet. Add Sancho and Abraham and that’s a brand new front three potentially in just two summers. And they’re going to want to play.

Origi is an irrelevance. In either scenario you’d ideally want him gone.

1 Like

No; ideally, we’d want him to unleash his true potential and turn into the perennial 20+ goals per season striker we all know is hiding in there somewhere, thereby saving the club a fortune in transfer fees.

Sadly, we all know that it ain’t gonna happen. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Let me break down where this has gone wrong.

Click bait site makes up rumour. Uses Firmino’s value as listed on Transfermarkt. Gets picked up by more click bait sites. Currency gets swapped from € to £ but keeps the same figure. All mention of Atleti not willing to offer that also get removed so even if there was an ounce of truth to it, significant context has already been lost. Oh and this is only happening should Suarez come to us which would surely negate the need for someone like Abraham anyway. Not that I believe a word of any of it.

And now we’re here with you saying that £55m is apparently what we want for him and getting uppity when it’s pointed out that Firmino probably wouldn’t fetch that when I think we’d all agree we wouldn’t pay £55m for the version of Firmino we’ve had for the last two years.

We’ve got to do better than letting ourselves fall for this shit.

4 Likes

Got a feeling you’re purposely misquoting or misunderstanding what I said to try and prove a point. What I said was;

Abraham is the name people keep picking to upgrade on Origi, he might work out brilliant and be just as positive an impact as Jota has been but I’m not sure he’s the “real quality up top” that you are misunderstanding me to have meant. Someone like Sancho is that top level quality. I don’t think we could add Sancho or similar whilst still keeping all 4 of Jota, Salah, Mane and Firmino. If you think adding Abraham as an Origi replacement/upgrade is the only requirement to add quality up top then that’s fine but it’s not what I believe and not what I was meaning in my post.

5 Likes

But why are you only applying this reasoning to players we may sell and not to the prices of players we might buy. I didn’t actually list prices. You can argue we might only get £45m for Firmino for instance but that (in that example) only becomes an issue if Sancho can really only be bought for full price.

It does, but Bobby for example has been on a decline for 18 months… he was never a good finisher, but all other elements of his game are now hitting those levels… I.e. not good enough.

Mane in the other hand I think needs a rest.

1 Like

I see what you mean and yes, we’re not getting a Sancho without selling on of the main three. But I do think buying a central striker type is more likely what we see this summer with none of the main three leaving.

Well the rumour around Firmino is entirely bullshit whilst it was well known what Dortmund were looking for Sancho last summer and they stood their ground when they didn’t get it. Even if they are willing to accept less this time around, there will be quite a few suitors with deep pockets interested.

Jurgen will unfortunately NEVER sanction the sale of Firmino, no matter who the replacement is, NEVER.

2 Likes

I think selling Firmino at this point is not feasible but definitely we need to add one more new attacker into the mix.

Le Parisien has an article about Mo Salah going there in summer, if Mbappe leaves. Was on the Beeb gossip page. Surely an unreliable rumor and deserving of a mention here!

Are you sure? Bobby will be 30 soon. He is not performing since 18 months. And has two years left on his contract.

With Jota we already brought in an attacker and it looks as if we will bring in another in the summer.

In the worst case this could make him 5th choice.

With the right offer (IMO that’s anything +£45m) and if Bobby wants to leave for Spain I think the manager would know it’s the right time.

2 Likes

what do you base this on?

assuming its based on something around his consistent playing time and/or Jurgens public affection for him.

neither of which prove Jurgen has a blind spot for him and both of which just prove Jurgen is a good manager trying to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

2 Likes

BBC rumours page …

Liverpool have agreed personal terms with RB Leipzig’s French defender Ibrahima Konate, 21, who is set to join the Premier League club on a five-year deal. (TalkSport)

Egypt forward Mohamed Salah wants to leave Liverpool and Paris St-Germain are planning to make a bid for the 28-year-old if France striker Kylian Mbappe, 22, leaves in the summer. (Le Parisien - in French)

1 Like

And baby keira should also be sold.

1 Like

Why would Salah want to go to PSG.

There was also this

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will “absolutely” be staying at the club even if the Reds fail to qualify for the Champions League, says the 53-year-old’s agent. (Sky Sport Germany, via Mirror)

As for Salah to PSG, Qatar is desperate to have him in their “stable” for the World Cup as the leading Muslim player in the world. Salah could be tempted. Edwards would no doubt rinse PSG as well.

4 Likes