The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

The same reason why he signed for Chelsea?

Anyone know what the relationship between Paris owners and Egypt is? I know some of those countries don’t get along.

But I guess it would make sense for their owners to replace Mbappe with the biggest football star with an Arab background.

3 Likes

I mean - without the financial situation and I we could offer CL (which i think is less problematic) - the stage could be set for a Salah + money for Mbappe swap.

Paris / Arab / Salah

Liverpool / Nike / LeBron / Klopp / Mbappe

3 Likes

One reason only, a lot more money.

1 Like

If you sell Salah you have replace him with someone of the same quality.
His numbers are quite phenomenal for a wide front man.
He will be greatly missed if he goes. In a season of utter crap Salah is the only player in our squad who still performed. Yes he has missed loads but will still finish the season with over 30 goals for 4th year. You need to replace that.

Regarding the Klopp quote it should read… Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will “absolutely” be staying at the club even though the Reds have failed to qualify for the Champions League, says the 53-year-old’s agent

1 Like

Mbappe to Liverpool was a glimmer of hope when we had CL… Without? Not a hope in hells chance I’m afraid.

6 Likes

I’m sometimes surprised at how fellow Liverpool fans are surprised some players would move to other countries and other big clubs (or big sides, of course we have to separate PSG from Real/Barca par example).

I know we are big, we are (still) top 5 in European football in major trophy, which is one (important) aspect of course.

But what are we seeing in last years and decades? I know it’s interesting to finally see Liverpool in modern times with stability upstairs and creativity and quality in coaching/playing positions. We just started winning a few trophies after a long time.

But why do players still want to go elsewhere? Sometimes more, sometimes less of course. And our record at bringing the world’s top players is almost non existent. Maybe some other time, with a different way of working upstairs.

2 Likes

I think its 2 things. 1) The players dont support Liverpool like us they are employees
2) players are trying to win everything in the big countries - England, Spain, Italy - once you have won leagues there then you can go MLS and see out your days playing Sunday league football on a huge wage.

I think id do the same if I was player - 4 years in UK, 4 in Spain, 4 in Italy retire in the MLS.

2 Likes

But they often leave without winning in England.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

But get rich trying!

1 Like

Just like we would, they go where the money is unless they are players like Gerrard or Trent who grew up with the club. It helps if you’ve got a glamourous location like Paris or Barcelona, but the bottom line is the bottom line.
There’s no point being sanctimonious about it, we’d do exactly the same.

2 Likes

I actually have a funny little feeling Trent might leave (or would be more open to it than Gerrard, who himself was dead close once or twice) if Liverpool’s level falls for a few years in a row and he’s putting in outstanding performances. We’ll see his and our evolution, but so far I’m not 100% convinced he’ll stay here for the rest of his (top level) career. I’m just taking it easy with him, it’s a brilliant story and brilliant to have him. But that’s for a different topic and not necessarily catastrophic if it happens.

2 Likes

Bobby has already been the forward who has seen the biggest reduction in his playing time.

3 Likes

From what I know of his mum I’d agree with you!

In other news, rich people tend to move to nice warm places. Liverpool doesn’t really count there…

2 Likes

Why would Mo be open to a move to PSG?

Guaranteed CL football. Currently this is touch and go at Liverpool, with next season - a peak playing year for Mo in terms of his short career - looking very doubtful.

Guaranteed title challenge/probable league win.

The world’s top muslim footballer playing for muslim owners who will want to leverage this ahead of the Qatar World Cup.

Goals galore in an easier league.

Lots of money.

World class city, which is always nice for wealthy people.

New experience.

This one makes a lot of sense to me. If it does happen, hopefully we do well and reinvest the large fee wisely, and the team improves. We have form for that, so I am chilled whatever happens.

2 Likes

An easier league would allow PSG to rest him more often for the other tournaments too…

2 Likes

Would hate to sell Mo, but dangle an enormously inflated fee, I would have to say yes. The major trick would not be getting a ridiculously high price, it would be replacing his goals.

I don’t want Mo to leave but I would allow him if that means we can get Haaland or Mbappe. Only reason they are closest match in quality while being younger. I’m still not sold on Sancho in all honesty.

1 Like

Would love Mbappe plus Sancho and would be prepared to see any combination of our forward line (Mo plus Bobby for instance) go to facilitate this. Personally would chose to keep Mane of the three - yes he’s had a poor 6 months but I think he’d be a less sensible sale right now - both financially and what I think he can offer the team for another couple of years. That said if we got a fee that could facilitate Sancho/Mbappe then he could go this summer.

Think we need rejuvenation up front this summer and can’t afford to wait another year. Also feel it is the best time financially to move on Mo and Bobby to fund our next forward line.

Selling Salah means that instead of grinding Salah to the ground, you will grind the new player to the ground next season.

1 Like